finalize 7k build

emosun

Budget (including currency): 7k usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Compositing/Rendering, some gaming/internet basics

Other details: Basically need the core platform to last about a decade. the machines budget is that high due to it needing to be a tax write off before the end of the year of roughly that amount , plus it needing to last such a long amount of time.

Don't need peripherals , case , and possibly might just reuse my old gtx1060 unless a better gpu can be squeezed into the budget somewhere.

What I could maybe use help with is figuring out if this is about as good as 7k can do as far as long term longevity, unless there some other more future proof platform it should be using. Also I have no idea how m.2 ssd compatibility works so that would probably be good.

Board

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/M12SWA-TF
Cpu

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3995wx/p/N82E16819113675?Description=PRO 3995WX&cm_re=PRO_3995WX-_-19-113-675-_-Product

Ram

https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-003Z-01AP5?Item=9SIA7S6FS86490

Heatsink (just like how it looks)
https://www.newegg.com/icesleet-x9/p/13C-00RE-00001?Item=9SIAT5SD3F3178
Power supply
https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-000N-002P3?Item=9SIAVT8EJN8673

I just retired my old laptop that was 10 years old, it was used for watching videos, office documents and web browsing.  Cost $600 originally.  Was faster than my desktop at the time but was obselete 5 years ago at least.  

Ddr5 memory is out now so you could dump the cash into that platform to stave off another year or two of obselecense.  Otherwise, the cycle is down to less than 5 years.  

2 minutes ago, Heliian said:

I just retired my old laptop that was 10 years old, it was used for watching videos, office documents and web browsing.  Cost $600 originally.  Was faster than my desktop at the time but was obselete 5 years ago at least.  

well my current laptop is 10 years and my desktop is 12 so I'm well aware of how long machines can last. The only difference is my 12 year old desktop can still play modern titles all be it at 720p.

My goal is for this purposed desktop to be doing the same by the time it's 10.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

IMHO, a 64 core CPU is a bit overkill for costing over $6,600 for the part alone.

was there a faster cpu that costs less? because I'd be interested in swapping it for sure. I agree the cpu should cost less.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

was there a faster cpu that costs less? because I'd be interested in swapping it for sure. I agree the cpu should cost less.

Faster in what regard? For single threaded performance, I would be looking at the Intel Core i9-12900K.

If you're needing massive multi-threaded operation and the app of choice can leverage them all, then yeah, a 64 core CPU would do the job.

6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Faster in what regard? For single threaded performance, I would be looking at the Intel Core i9-12900K.

TBH other than MS paint and age of empire 2 I cannot think of any software that I use that only runs on a single core

I'm sure someone in 2009 thought 12 cores was overkill , but its the only reason my machine can still keep up vs theirs. So no i'm not too worried about what people these days think about core counts vs people 10 years from now.

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

What programs are you using?

Id probably go with the non pro parts here. You can oc them to make them faster than the pro ones in most uses, there much cheaper, much better board selection too, and faster ram options.

Just now, emosun said:

TBH other than MS paint and age of empire 2 I cannot think of any software that I use that only runs on a single core

I'm sure someone in 2009 thought 12 cores was overkill , but its the only reason my machine can still keep up vs theirs so no i'm not too worried about what people these days think about core counts vs people 10 years from now.

For 7 grand, you could easily replace your PC over 3 times in the span of 10 years...with mid-high to high-end parts.

Even with server-grade hardware, I would never expect 10 reliable years out of them (they can last longer, but not a guarantee). Plus, no way are you going to get extended BIOS updates for that long out of that platform.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably go with the non pro parts here. You can oc them to make them faster than the pro ones in most uses, there much cheaper, much better board selection too, and faster ram options.

again if you can find me a cpu thats the same speed for less cost I'm 100% on board

1 minute ago, emosun said:

again if you can find me a cpu thats the same speed for less cost I'm 100% on board

How about the 3990x? Thats what I suggested in my last post.

2 minutes ago, StDragon said:

For 7 grand, you could easily replace your PC over 3 times in the span of 10 years

I think you may have missed this part.

34 minutes ago, emosun said:

Basically need the core platform to last about a decade. the machines budget is that high due to it needing to be a tax write off before the end of the year of roughly that amount , plus it needing to last such a long amount of time.

it either goes into the computer , or it goes to the government. this is happening this month , not 3 times over 10 years

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

I think you may have missed this part.

it either goes into the computer , or it goes to the government. this is happening this month , not 3 times over 10 years

I'm going to be making a wild assumption here. You don't have to explain yourself, it's personal and I understand.

That said, IF the issue is being bumped into another tax bracket, and you're trying to offset being into that taxable bracket, you should be talking to a personal financial advisor (I'm not one, and I'm not yours. I'm some rando on the Internet). But if it were me in such a scenario, I would be looking into putting that money into an IRA which has a maximum contribution of 6 grand for this year (7 grand if over 50). But again, that's just me 🙂

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about the 3990x? Thats what I suggested in my last post.

The board combo im getting with the 3995wx is 6k total so if the 3990x along with it's board can match that then I can definitely consider it. But the ram would also have to be changed to one on the QVL

As far as programs it would be several instances of all my adobe suites and topaz for now. But as far as 10 years into the future it could be pretty much anything that leans on the cpu.

What about choosing ASUS's WRX80 motherboard? That's pretty much a pro/workstation motherboard for AMD's Threadripper Pro CPUs. (Ah shit...looks like they have some sort of chipset fan). 

Also, if you have the case headroom, how about the IceGiant's ProSiphon CPU cooler for long term reliability?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, StDragon said:

you should be talking to a personal financial advisor (I'm not one

ok ill do what they said then and dump 7k into home office expenses

Are you sure you need a freaking 64 core cpu?

Consider an epyc 7763 64 core as the qs are going for ~4700$ on ebay, also i think giga boards on sp3 have full amd cbs or something to control tdp so you could prob f around with power limit overclocking, those prob go for ~500$

You could also get a 7742 oem cpu for ~3000$ on ebay if you dont need epyc milan, plus since its an oem cpu you can f around with overclocking though youll have to mod a bios to support rome and have agesa 1.0.0.3 or lower, maybe mmtool can help with agesa swapping as ive swapped my p5qd bios with an MIIF ebb for better ocability, didnt help much but why not

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

ok ill do what they said then and dump 7k into home office expenses

If you're hard set on going Thread Ripper (and they're fantastic CPUs for multi-threaded), I would look into the ASRock TRX40 Taichi.

Bit of warning though about MBs that need chipset fans, those fans last a few year before needing to be replaced. Seem the majority (if not all??) have chipset fans for the TR platform.

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are you sure you need a freaking 64 core cpu?

10 years from now yes im 100% sure

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

If you're hard set on going Thread Ripper (and they're fantastic CPUs for multi-threaded), I would look into the ASRock TRX40 Taichi.

Bit of warning though about MBs that need chipset fans, those fans last a few year before needing to be replaced. Seem the majority (if not all??) have chipset fans for the TR platform.

Server boards shut off when critical fans report no rpm. Even my current server board does that

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

The board combo im getting with the 3995wx is 6k total so if the 3990x along with it's board can match that then I can definitely consider it. But the ram would also have to be changed to one on the QVL

As far as programs it would be several instances of all my adobe suites and topaz for now. But as far as 10 years into the future it could be pretty much anything that leans on the cpu.

Id probably go 12900k here then. Its about the same in premiere pro, photoshop, and most of the adobe suite and editing programs(check out pugets benchmarks), and much cheaper. 

Tr is only if you need overclocking ability, otherwise for all i know epyc > threadripper cause extra server features, cheaper/newer cpus, also the fact that you can run 2 64 cores but thats just absurdity and wont ever be useful for non server workloads

Also oem or es rome cpus can be oced, theres an sth thread on it and pretty funny to oc a god damn dual socket esp when it has a ludicrous amount of cores

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably go 12900k here then. Its about the same in premiere pro, photoshop, and most of the adobe suite and editing programs(check out pugets benchmarks), and much cheaper. 

Thats true although this will be used for programs beyond the current limits of adobe much like how I do not currently still run CS4 from 2008. I'm sure cs4 probably would run terrible with 24 threads but if I didn't go with 24 threads I'd have a far worse setup currently for the current software. Also Puget is testing via single instances and not multiple.

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

also the fact that you can run 2 64 cores but thats just absurdity and wont ever be useful for non server workloads

my current build is dual socket and both are utilized in non server workloads

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Also oem or es rome cpus can be oced, theres an sth thread on it and pretty funny to oc a god damn dual socket esp when it has a ludicrous amount of cores

not sure why overclocking is being mentioned as I've not listed it

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

How many cores? Cause if its less than 32 then yea id see a use for dual socket but lets be real here who the hell even needs 128 cores? esp for non server workloads, 64 cores is already overkill anyways

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

not sure why overclocking is being mentioned as I've not listed it

Welp who knows maybe youd be interested in it but i think its only useful if you wanna undervolt cause yea zen2 dont have good ocability, also vrms on sp3 boards tend to be quite garbage so i suggest shoving some heatsinks and fans over them