Should I be worried about OLED burn in?

TheProPizza

I was think of buying a second hand iphone xs for christmas, I am probably going to keep it 3 to 4 years. Should i be worried about oled burn in?

probably not, I know someone who had the og iPhone X for like 4 years and never saw any burn in. I think with phones its less likely because the screen changes frequently enough 

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Depends. If you heavily use YouTube for listening while at work or driving, you may consider going Premium to be able to keep the display off. (Google is kind of an evil bastard, especially if you’re using OLED.) An engineer at my old company had some pretty brutal burn-in on his Galaxy S9 (about 1.5 years old) due to this. 

if you’re not keeping the display running for super long periods of time in a go, however, then longevity isn’t as much of an issue. Even better if you’re not performing color accurate work, as the differing rates of subpixel degradation can cause color shifting over time. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I have my old Note8 since launch, and I still do.

I used Discord pretty heavily, and so some elements such as the username and the icon for the hamburger menu plus the keyboard are already starting to show signs of permanent burn-in. But this is also like a 4 year old phone that's going into its 5th year pretty soon, and it's honestly not so bad to the point where it's distracting to a large degree.

You can extend the life of the display by not cranking the brightness too high all the time and utilizing sleep mode whenever possible.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I used my S7 Edge for 2 1/2 years, and my GF had it for another a little over 1 year. I saw zero burn-in.

Seen users claiming to have burn-in after <1 year. Like every statistic: It depends. Might happen, might not.

Worry about burn, when it appears, but not earlier 😉

Because usually, you won't have a problem in "normal use".

Weirdly enough, I've had more burn in happen on my iPhone 6s than on any of my OLED phones.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:57 PM, FAZIN said:

Weirdly enough, I've had more burn in happen on my iPhone 6s than on any of my OLED phones.

really? i have never seen an lcd panel get burn in eve the old ass ones that i pulled from storage a while back didnt have it and they where used at an office every day with very static elements like the windows taskbar and word outlook etc.!

I’ve been using my XS Max for a couple of years now with no burn in to report.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 11/27/2021 at 7:57 PM, FAZIN said:

lol thats exactly why im upgrading phone, my iphone 6s has terrible burn in

On 11/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, XG BC said:

really? i have never seen an lcd panel get burn in eve the old ass ones that i pulled from storage a while back didnt have it and they where used at an office every day with very static elements like the windows taskbar and word outlook etc.!

I'm fairly certain it was a reaction due to the phone getting too hot but still funny to see it happen to an LCD.