Capture Cars Ideas

Sparky862

Hay guys hope all is well.

I am new to Streaming and I Stream from a single PC. I use my GPU as the encoder. Recently I found out about capture cards and what they do.

My question is this. Which card to get that will suit my needs?

I am Streaming at 1080p60fps. I am not looking to do background recordings AND Stream at the same time. The Capture Card is ONLY going to Stream, so I don't care about background recordings (tough I guess to be future safe it has to be included. But I will NEVER run Recordings AND Streaming at the same time. Either one or the other while I game).

My PC Specs are as Follow

UP7 Z77X Mobo

I7 3770K

GTX 1070 8GB

16GB DDR3 

1080p 144Hz Monitor

I looked at the Elgato HD60s + . Not sure if that is overkill for my needs?

Thank you.

What issues do you have with streaming currently? Id just stick with gpu encoding here. The capture card and gpu encoding should have a simmilar overhead as your pc still have to upload the stream in both cases.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What issues do you have with streaming currently? Id just stick with gpu encoding here. The capture card and gpu encoding should have a simmilar overhead as your pc still have to upload the stream in both cases.

The quality of the Stream.

Currently I use GPU Encoding (NVENC) which gives a more blockier Stream.

My CPU (H.264) is too weak to Stream and Game and the same time.

H.264 gives a more crisp and clear image compared to Nvenc. 

I use a 6000 CBR bitrate, and it iritates me that while on GPU encoder, if I play fast pase games, you still get bad image blur and the image is not as clear as it should be. You can still see pixelations aswell.

I looked at some reviews about capture cards, and all capture cards show a crisp, clear non pixelated image.

1 minute ago, Sparky862 said:

The quality of the Stream.

Currently I use GPU Encoding (NVENC) which gives a more blockier Stream.

My CPU (H.264) is too weak to Stream and Game and the same time.

H.264 gives a more crisp and clear image compared to Nvenc. 

I use a 6000 CBR bitrate, and it iritates me that while on GPU encoder, if I play fast pase games, you still get bad image blur and the image is not as clear as it should be. You can still see pixelations aswell.

I looked at some reviews about capture cards, and all capture cards show a crisp, clear non pixelated image.

The capture card won't help you here. The capture card doesn't have its own encoder, so your still using either the cpu or gpu encoder, with the same quality.

Id either drop your stream to 900p60 or 1080p30, or get a faster cpu or gpu.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The capture card won't help you here. The capture card doesn't have its own encoder, so your still using either the cpu or gpu encoder, with the same quality.

So what does a capture card do? I was under the impression, like the many articles I read, even from certefied groups.

It lowers the stress on your cpu or gpu

It also gives a better quality stream if you are on Nvenc

It is great for single PC users that has only the 1 dedicated gaming PC 

And also obviously all the other background recordings

2 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

So what does a capture card do? I was under the impression, like the many articles I read, even from certefied groups.

It takes a hdmi signal and gives it to your PC.

Your PC still has to process it and then upload it. If you use programs like OBS for overlays or similar those programs have to do a good amount of work to modify the video.

Id just lower your stream settings so you don't see the compression artifacts here if you don't want to upgrade your pc.

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Some models have encoder, but they also require bit beefier PC (for some reason). From Elgato for example 4K60 S+ and HD60 PRO.

12 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

It lowers the stress on your cpu or gpu

It also gives a better quality stream if you are on Nvenc

It is great for single PC users that has only the 1 dedicated gaming PC 

And also obviously all the other background recordings

The main point of capture card is to allow video input in PC. So its mainly used to capture cameras, consoles or other PCs. In more professional setups, there's dedicated streaming PC that handles encoding and recording while main PC focuses on running games. Though dual-PC setup is very rare with even the biggest professsional streamers. Its much easier to handle single PC setup. With professionals, capture card is mainly for consoles and better cameras.

But yes, there are also capture cards with hardware encoder.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It takes a hdmi signal and gives it to your PC.

Your PC still has to process it and then upload it. If you use programs like OBS for overlays or similar those programs have to do a good amount of work to modify the video.

Id just lower your stream settings so you don't see the compression artifacts here if you don't want to upgrade your pc.

But not Capture Cards that has Dedicated Encoders like you mentioned, that will work on my PC? 

Like the above mentioned with the PCI won't run on my PC because of weak CPU.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I am currently Streaming 900p. I know I said 1080p, but that was only everytime I mention 900p people go hay wire that 900p is not a normal res to Stream at.

But 900p gives artifacts aswell. Even 720p@6000CBR artifacrs the screen with rapid movements or fast motion. 

Bframe are set to 2

Keyframe to 2

Nvenc New infact gives an even more blockier Stream vs normal Nvenc for some odd reason?

Damn, I honestly tought a Capture Card would assist the situation I have

13 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Bframe are set to 2

Keyframe to 2

Why did you do that? Thats not the recommended value, and will result is a much worse compression and much worse stream quality. This seems to be your problem, Id reset to the twitch defaults.

19 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

But not Capture Cards that has Dedicated Encoders like you mentioned, that will work on my PC? 

Like the above mentioned with the PCI won't run on my PC because of weak CPU.

Some capture cards have hardware encoders, the one you listed doesn't. And the nvidia encoders should be a simmilar or better quality to what most of the capture cards have.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why did you do that? Thats not the recommended value, and will result is a much worse compression and much worse stream quality. This seems to be your problem, Id reset to the twitch defaults.

Some capture cards have hardware encoders, the one you listed doesn't. And the nvidia encoders should be a simmilar or better quality to what most of the capture cards have.

Max B Frames and Keyframe Interval set at 2 is the recomended stats? I just checked again. Only diffs is they reccomend Quality Preset where I have Max Quality Preset.

What would you set it to? From my understanding Keyframe Interval should always be set to 2 no matter what. So what would B Frame be set at?

2 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Max B Frames and Keyframe Interval set at 2 is the recomended stats? I just checked again. Only diffs is they reccomend Quality Preset where I have Max Quality Preset.

What would you set it to? From my understanding Keyframe Interval should always be set to 2 no matter what. So what would B Frame be set at?

Can you show a screenshot of your config?

I think I thought that was frames, 2 seconds would be fine.

Id just follow their recommendations, and keep it on quality.

What is the quality like at 30fps? How about 720p?

What games are you playing? Some games are just much hardware to compress.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show a screenshot of your config?

I think I thought that was frames, 2 seconds would be fine.

Id just follow their recommendations, and keep it on quality.

What is the quality like at 30fps? How about 720p?

What games are you playing? Some games are just much hardware to compress.

PS. I am not advertising my channel. Just linking for this purpouse
https://www.twitch.tv/sparky862

I play whatever I feel like really. Warzone, Outriders, Skyrim ect. Kind of mixed really.

720p30fps does not look smooth enough for me ... I don't like it, so why would my viewers?

This is my Streamlabs Output Settings
https://ibb.co/80cCvGS
https://ibb.co/Tc9BsLF

5 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

PS. I am not advertising my channel. Just linking for this purpouse
https://www.twitch.tv/sparky862

I play whatever I feel like really. Warzone, Outriders, Skyrim ect. Kind of mixed really.

720p30fps does not look smooth enough for me ... I don't like it, so why would my viewers?

This is my Streamlabs Output Settings
https://ibb.co/80cCvGS
https://ibb.co/Tc9BsLF

The 900p60 doesn't look that bad to me, I'd just keep using that. I don't think a viewer would complain about that quality.

I just tried 1080p60 on my gtx 1080, and its not perfect, but Its not bad. 

Nothing looks off to me in your stream settings.

If you don't want to upgrade your hardware, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it will affect viewership. People watch for the personality, not the quality.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The 900p60 doesn't look that bad to me, I'd just keep using that. I don't think a viewer would complain about that quality.

I just tried 1080p60 on my gtx 1080, and its not perfect, but Its not bad. 

Nothing looks off to me in your stream settings.

If you don't want to upgrade your hardware, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it will affect viewership. People watch for the personality, not the quality.

Yeah, that is true, but I just want to get rid of all the other things bugging me that I think would bug the viewers.

But thank you for confirming. 

Think I would rather save up more and get myself this
https://www.evetech.co.za/core-i7-11700-tuf-gaming-b560-plus-wi-fi-16gb-3600mhz-upgrade-kit/best-deal/13002.aspx

Thank you.