Finally upgrading my PC. Would love some notes/comments about parts + compatibility.

happyquinn

Hi guys,

Quick background: I'm a web developer, and frequently have a lot of docker containers running, and half the time a Photoshop design or something open on my computer while working. During off-time, I'm a gamer, but nothing too hardcore, just DOTA 2 pretty much.

Was considering either going for the new M1 MAX, or upgrading/rebuilding my PC, and right now looks like I'll be leaning on doing that.

Here's the list I set up, would love some feedback. Just note that I have Storage on my current PC that I'll be re-using. In addition, I live in Lebanon, so in general there is a lot of shortage when it comes to components or parts, and not everything is available (mojitech.net is usually where everyone gets their hardware from here - so if something isn't available there it usually means it's not available at all in the country).

•     CPU - Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2GHz 16-core processor
  •     CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 52.44 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  •     Motherboard - MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 (wanted to get one with DDR5 support, but there are no DDR5 RAM in Lebanon yet)
  •     Memory - 4x16 Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3600 CL18
  •     GPU - ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12GB TUF GAMING OC
  •     Case - NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case
  •     PSU - Cooler Master V Platinum 1300W 80+ Platinum Modular (wanted a 1000W one, but nothing high quality was available).

Would appreciate any comments/advice and whether you have any suggestions.

Thank you!

Budget (including currency): 4,500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DOTA2, Docker, Web Development

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

7 minutes ago, happyquinn said:

CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 52.44 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Overpriced and uneccesary, get a thicc single tower or cheap dual tower like mugen 5 or fuma 2

8 minutes ago, happyquinn said:

NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case

Not as bad as the h510 but still garbage airflow, get a p500a if you want a large case though if you dont need a large case a p400a will suffice

8 minutes ago, happyquinn said:

4x16 Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3600 CL18

Go for a 2x32 kit to reduce load on imc and with the added benifit of better overclockability or the ability to upgrade to 128gb ram

Otherwise looks good

13 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Overpriced and uneccesary, get a thicc single tower or cheap dual tower like mugen 5 or fuma 2

For a 12900K? I'm not sure they'd be up to the task. At the very least, you would need to limit the short duration power limit, if you want a tower cooler to keep up.

41 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I was under the impression that you'll need a pretty good cooler for the 12900K. Am I wrong?

Krakens are definitely overpriced, but a 240mm AIO looks to be the minimum to be safe with a 12900K unless you undervolt it. Arctic's LF II lineup should be your focus in my opinion.

the pc guy

5 minutes ago, Forleb said:

Arctic's LF II lineup

Seconding this, but it didn't look like it was available on the provided website. Any 280+ AIO should be fine though.

X73 is pretty bleh and an asetek pump. you should only get it if you insist on the cosmetics

that ram is same first word latency as normal 3200 mhz (because its cl18) get something like crucial 3200 mhz cl16

please dont get a h710i. its gonna be a fucking oven. i used to have a 3900x and 2080 super when i switched from h510i to meshify 2 i got 15c drop + 500 rpm less

my case recommendations:
meshify 2 (or c)

p400a/p500a

corsair 4000d (or 5000d, its larger)

just make sure its open front