Isolating dual boot windows installs?

Stupickles64

I want to dual boot two installs of windows 10 on the same pc each on their own ssd.  I want to keep the files and drives completely seperated so the installs don't share any info and can't see or access the files from each other.  How could I do this?  Had no luck searching the web for answers. Ty

Yup, encryption is pretty much the only option. Each drive needs to have its full independent install with bootloader and which drive to boot from selected from the BIOS. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The cheat way would be to unplug/disable the drive that you're going to switch to in BIOS before you boot into it. 

The somewhat proper way would be drive encryption using Bitlocker (but IIRC you need Windows 10 Pro or Windows 11 to use that, could be wrong)

That said, for the reasons I can think that you'd want to do something like this, the true answer might be to have one of your Windows installs running in a VM.

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yup, encryption is pretty much the only option. Each drive needs to have its full independent install with bootloader and which drive to boot from selected from the BIOS. 

How would i do this? Install windows then encrypt with bitlocker then install the other windows os and encrypt that as well?

Put one SSD, install, enable bitlocker, remove that SSD and install the other, repeat, then you can connect both.

You might need to disable TPM and set bitlocker to be unlockable with a USB flash drive (and each of the 2 people have their own flash drive that unlocks their drive) since otherwise changing boot would require reentering the bitlocker recovery key every time. You're supposed to be able to have the recovery key be a flash drive even if TPM is on but the one machine I have where that's set up it's never worked and I had to enter it manually every time. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2