Looking for advice and recommendations on an upgrade

Canoeven

Budget (including currency): 

$600 AUD

Australia

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Battlefield 2042, Halo Infinite, Genshin Impact

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My Current Build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/H9LBNP 

I’m looking to upgrade the CPU. I’ve been recommended the i5 11400f and it looks great so I’ll probably go with that and I’m wanting 2x8GB RAM modules and a B560 motherboard. I’ll be playing at 1080p and the higher the FPS the better and I’m hoping to get it by mid-late January but it depends how long it takes for me to save. 

basically I’m looking for recommended B560 and RAM to pair with a GTX 1080 and i5 11400f or other CPU pairing recommendations. 

1 hour ago, Canoeven said:

i5 11400f

That's good performance for the money.

1 hour ago, Canoeven said:

Battlefield 2042

A RTX 3060 can archieve 65 FPS at max. settings at 1080p.

So with your GTX 1080 you will be below 60 FPS. Maybe 50 FPS average.

If you want more than that, you should upgrade your graphics card too. But not with that budget.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

Honestly your pc is fine for now.

You have a i7 4770 basically which will get you 60fps+ in these games.

The lack of ssd storage for the games and only 12gb of ram I do see be the main hurting points. But I don't know that the goal here is really because if it's just 60fps+ a ssd + a bit more ram will more than do the trick.

17 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

If you want more than that, you should upgrade your graphics card too. But not with that budget.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Also max settings are like the dumbest thing out there. MASSIVE performance hit for barely if any increased visual quality. A gtx 1080 does not at all have an issue running these games at the high preset 60fps+ at 1080p.

I'd say go for it and upgrade GPU in future when possible

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ JW Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock B560 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.00 @ PC Byte) 
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($95.00 @ PC Byte) 
Total: $463.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-16 21:12 AEDT+1100

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Honestly your pc is fine for now.

You have a i7 4770 basically which will get you 60fps+ in these games.

The lack of ssd storage for the games and only 12gb of ram I do see be the main hurting points. But I don't know that the goal here is really because if it's just 60fps+ a ssd + a bit more ram will more than do the trick.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Also max settings are like the dumbest thing out there. MASSIVE performance hit for barely if any increased visual quality. A gtx 1080 does not at all have an issue running these games at the high preset 60fps+ at 1080p.

I don’t have an i7 I have a Xeon 1231v3 and I average 40fps in BF2042 in the quieter areas, as soon as I’m in combat it can drop as low as 15-20 in the intense fights and that’s on medium settings and dropping to low does basically nothing for performance. When I watch the performance with NVIDIA’s Shadowplay thingy my CPU usage is around 80-100% usage while the GPU chills at 15-20%. 

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Where are you getting these numbers from?

Battlefield 2042 Open Beta Benchmark Test & Performance Review - Performance & VRAM Usage | TechPowerUp

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

46 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

That's good performance for the money.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I’m not expecting high or max settings with >60fps but hoping for stable ~60fps medium during more intense fights as right now it can dip to 15fps. I’m hoping to upgrade the PSU and GPU maybe next year but right now my CPU is a bad bottleneck. 

4 minutes ago, Canoeven said:

I don’t have an i7 I have a Xeon 1231v3 and I average 40fps in BF2042 in the quieter areas, as soon as I’m in combat it can drop as low as 15-20 in the intense fights and that’s on medium settings and dropping to low does basically nothing for performance. When I watch the performance with NVIDIA’s Shadowplay thingy my CPU usage is around 80-100% usage while the GPU chills at 15-20%. 

I'm aware of the xeon I just named it's i7 counterpart hence the basically. A 4770 doesn't have those issues with the game it does a mostly solid 60fps+ performance. This game does very much so rely on 16gb of ram and being on a ssd.

Either way if you do want to upgrade the game needs to be on a ssd too. Best value for the budget upgrade would be a 10400f or a 11400f + a decent b560 board, 16gb of cl16 3000mhz+ ram and a ssd.

3 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

The 1080 isn't on there but some quick math does put it below the 60fps mark. However just lowering the settings 1 tier does seem to massively boost fps as expected for no visual difference.

3 minutes ago, Canoeven said:

Sorry I should have been more clear, I’m not expecting high or max settings with >60fps but hoping for stable ~60fps medium during more intense fights as right now it can dip to 15fps. I’m hoping to upgrade the PSU and GPU maybe next year but right now my CPU is a bad bottleneck. 

Keep in mind this game is like not even close to finished at all. It's a mess and this is what you are experiencing here. So take this bad performance with a big grain of salt as this is EA to blame here more than your hardware.

33 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Keep in mind this game is like not even close to finished at all. It's a mess and this is what you are experiencing here. So take this bad performance with a big grain of salt as this is EA to blame here more than your hardware.

Oh I know, my fps was much worse during the beta and the first few days of the early access but has improved since. This build is getting close to 7 years old which in my opinion is a pretty good life span for a PC. Do you have any recommended motherboards and RAM for this budget?