Photo editor by day, casual gamer by night - Is there a single monitor for me?

Toby Tanfield

I only play games casually, so i'm not looking to get the upper hand over my enemies with this monitor. Its primary use will be photo editing.

Budget: £650 / $850 / 750 euros (Willing to buy used)

Absolute Requirements:

1440p in either 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio (not 4k)

60Hz (no higher)

100% (or 99%) Adobe RGB and sRGB

IPS or VA

Manufacturer colour calibrated

dE no more than 2

Display brightness more than 250 nits

Bonuses:

Reasonably low input latency for gaming

Pixel response times, the stand, anything else, doesn't matter.

I know i'm probably having to rely on someone in the same situation as me for a good recommendation.

If your'e photo editing go 4k especially if refresh rate can be 60hz.

You never edit in low resolutions that can't be previewed in full. As an editor your screen should surpass whoever the end user is.

Unless whatever you;re editing is pre y2k resolutions then 1440p would be fine for that workload.

Size? UP3017 ticks all of your boxes.

25 minutes ago, Toby Tanfield said:

Manufacturer colour calibrated

This is not really a thing. Displays may be "calibrated" from the factory, but not to D65. You'll need your own calibration device for that. The UP3017 has two hardware calibration profiles, so you can profile one for sRGB and the other one for Adobe RGB.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

If your'e photo editing go 4k especially if refresh rate can be 60hz.

You never edit in low resolutions that can't be previewed in full. As an editor your screen should surpass whoever the end user is.

Unless whatever you;re editing is pre y2k resolutions then 1440p would be fine for that workload.

The monitor is only for editing. The photos are only ever printed, and since the sharpness of the images i edit will be limited by the glass i used, i think 1440p is a good trade off for a lower price.

6 minutes ago, Toby Tanfield said:

The monitor is only for editing. The photos are only ever printed, and since the sharpness of the images i edit will be limited by the glass i used, i think 1440p is a good trade off for a lower price.

Typically a 4k monitor wont cost much more than a 1440p one. Perhaps 5 years ago that would be the case but not so much these days. Mind if I ask the situation with the glass as most normal cameras past y2k should be able to handle sensors higher than 1440p unless its particularly cheap or low end

Did searching on eBay. Used, good condition, fits your needs. Also pretty cheap. https://www.viewsonic.com/tr/products/lcd/VA2719-2K-SMHD

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

I just have photography as s hobby, but I love my 4k 32" for viewing my photos on, 4k is a benefit for photography.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Looking for a factory calibrated display with a De under 2 is a big ask, especially one that can also be used in gaming.

Perhaps you should seriously consider getting urself a consumer level calibrator like a X-Rite i1 Display Pro, that way u need not worry about factory calibration and can instead concern urself with the displays color limits (gamut), uniformity, and gaming capabilities.

Regardless here are some that u can at least look into.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/69021

Be sure to check the individual results, some while scoring well may not have a great factory gamma curve, and additional the black uniformity may be of concern to you if u are to be doing alot of dark scenes in ur photo work.

I havnt sorted/filtered price.

Though its white balance is out of ur spec, at 2.3 thus why it isnt on the list, i would look at the

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/predator-xb273u-gxbmiipruzx

it has full sRGb and AdobeRGB coverage, great for gaming, acceptable uniformity, 10 bit etc etc. And you should be able to pick it up well within budget.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |