CPU cooler affecting GPU temps?

Hey guys,

First, here is my setup:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
  • GPU: MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X
  • Case: Corsair Carbide R275: with the included corsair fans as front intakes and two beQuite! purewings 2 pwm in the back as ex (back and top).
  • Motherboard : ASUS PRIME X570-P
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850 (planning to do some big upgrades in the future)
  • RAM: 2x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW

Recently I have noticed that the temperatures of my GPU (especially junction) are higher than normally (recently because I had to upgrade to the mentioned motherboard and psu because of some system failures). With the case closed the junction temp reaches 110c almost instantly when starting a game and fan speeds keep being around 2200 rpm. When I remove the side panel, temperatures are way better and junction temps are around 80-90 (100 on really heavy load) and fan speeds keep around 1500 rpm. I assumed that maybe the airflow in my case is sub optimal, but a friend of mine told me that the issue might be with my cpu cooler.

I am running an Noctua NH-U14S and the distance between the block and my GPU is really small (picture included) and according to my friend the heat from the cooler is affecting the gpu temps. That sounds logical, but is it? Should I change my CPU cooler, preferably to a AIO cooler or lies the problem with my pc case/airflow?

Thanks in advance and if I need to provide more information or pictures, let me know!

photo_2021-11-10_09-52-20.jpg

5 minutes ago, GhunterStrudel said:

Should I change my CPU cooler, preferably to a AIO cooler or lies the problem with my pc case/airflow?

if opening your side panel alleviates the issue, it's most likely a case airflow issue

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

38 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if opening your side panel alleviates the issue, it's most likely a case airflow issue

That's what I thought.  I don't think that I'll be able to improve the airflow with my current case, so I'm looking at a new one. Would something like the Fractal Design Torrent be a good choice?  https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-rgb-tg-light-tint/

1 minute ago, GhunterStrudel said:

That's what I thought.  I don't think that I'll be able to improve the airflow with my current case, so I'm looking at a new one. Would something like the Fractal Design Torrent be a good choice?  https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-rgb-tg-light-tint/

i'd say it's pretty good, though i dont own one so i cant really say much more than this review

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, GhunterStrudel said:

I am running an Noctua NH-U14S and the distance between the block and my GPU is really small (picture included) and according to my friend the heat from the cooler is affecting the gpu temps. That sounds logical, but is it? Should I change my CPU cooler, preferably to a AIO cooler or lies the problem with my pc

The cpu cooler shouldn't do anything to the gpu temps, if anything it helps removing hot air.

My gpu temps are average 55-60, cpu 60...

Cpu cooler/ gpu looks about the same as yours:

20210820_120436.thumb.jpg.165105d8fc654abc46de4c537ede6d84.jpg20211030_100730.png.3e9b3b705a258c9feca3e16445d6f884.png

Ps: yeah, i agree the case looks awful,  even the airflow variant... my case has actually a similarly concept but it somehow works really well, probably not at last because of the rather huge honeycomb air intakes (back and bottom) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Do you use a butter knife to unlatch your gpu? Dam that’s tight.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

There is just enough room between the fan and the gpu to unlatch it with the tip of my index finger. It does take some intense finger strength though!

Nice, I want that to be my next case..

Yeah, that case looks nice, the fans on the bottom have a weird phenomenon in my case at least though...they don't do much, 1-2c lower temps ... not worth it imo hence I removed mine... somehow always felt like they're creating turbulences , obviously since they go against every other fan in the case,  plus they basically blow directly onto the gpu, which might be good if it has temp issues,  but I found them honestly unnecessary after some testing. 

8 hours ago, freeagent said:

That's actually a problem... i need to remove the push fan of the cpu cooler to "somehow" get to the pci lever for the gpu, doesn't help that its a m-atx case (inwin 301)! 👀

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, that case looks nice, the fans on the bottom have a weird phenomenon in my case at least though...they don't do much, 1-2c lower temps ... not worth it imo hence I removed mine... somehow always felt like they're creating turbulences , obviously since they go against every other fan in the case,  plus they basically blow directly onto the gpu, which might be good if it has temp issues,  but I found them honestly unnecessary after some testing. 

That's actually a problem... i need to remove the push fan of the cpu cooler to "somehow" get to the pci lever for the gpu, doesn't help that its a m-atx case (inwin 301)! 👀

Interesting.. thanks for that. I will stick with my Meshify C. I have iPPC fans running in it and everything is good temps wise.