TPM 2.0 will not turn on, Ryzen 5 3600

Just that Mario

Turned it on in BIOS, even BIOS reports as "No supported device found" or whatever. Read from interballs it may require secure boot to be enabled. Whenever I enable secure boot I get black screen. Read somewhere else secure boot only works when secure boot is enabled during OS install. Only started poking around because of Windows 11. Decided to post after seeing latest LTT video.

You gotta enable fTPM, most AM4 motherboards dont have external TPMs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Your Windows 10 install is probably made using BIOS mode while Secure Boot only works with UEFI, there is some conversion required of your current Windows 10 install before you can enable Secure Boot and TPM and be able to boot into Windows.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

You gotta enable fTPM, most AM4 motherboards dont have external TPMs.

That's what I enabled >.>

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Your Windows 10 install is probably made using BIOS mode while Secure Boot only works with UEFI, there is some conversion required of your current Windows 10 install before you can enable Secure Boot and TPM and be able to boot into Windows.

It's using UEFI.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

So your C partition is GPT and not MBR?

Yep. System info also says UEFI.

Can you tell us your CPU and your motherboard? It is always a good idea to include as much information you can in your posts if you want a solution.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Can you tell us your CPU and your motherboard? It is always a good idea to include as much information you can in your posts if you want a solution.

CPU is literally in the F'ing title!

Motherboard is MSI B550 A-PRO.

you may need to look up the parts of your system on manufacturers website to see if they are uefi / secure boot enabled or if they need a firmware update.....

this means everything from your hard drive to your graphics card and everything inbetween

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, Just that Mario said:

Turned it on in BIOS, even BIOS reports as "No supported device found" or whatever. Read from interballs it may require secure boot to be enabled. Whenever I enable secure boot I get black screen. Read somewhere else secure boot only works when secure boot is enabled during OS install. Only started poking around because of Windows 11. Decided to post after seeing latest LTT video.

I am not sure if your motherboard is affected by this, but I have read from many users that they had issues when enabling some features that were disabled by default on their motherboard such as TPM. Motherboard manufactures have released UEFI updates for their boards to fix the issues of the affected boards. Have a look to see if they are any updates.

Yep. System info also says UEFI.

UEFI compatible doesn't mean that your drive is formatted in GPT.

UEFI system have 2 modes: Legacy and Enabled (sadly, every motherboard manufacture like to call things differently, and MSI likes to be different including calling it "Windows 7 mode" or whatever version of Windows that was out at the time of the board started to be in its design stage, and not release, just to confuse everyone.

UEFI can only interact with drives which are formatted as GPT

UEFI in Legacy mode (BIOS emulation mode), like BIOS based systems, can only interact with MBR formatted drive.

So, if the drive is incorrectly formatted, the UEFI will not find the OS to start, and while some board will say "OS not found" or something along those lines, others will show a blank screen, to be extra helpful.

Now Windows 10 does provide a nice tool to convert the system drive from MBR to GPT, if that is the case (Backup all your data outside of the system, before using). Where you run the tool, then reset your system, go in to the UEFI and enable UEFI mode, and Save & Exit, and now the system will boot (if there was no issue in the conversion, else you will need to format and re-install everything).

Also, if you get a black screen it can mean the GPU needs an update.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I am not sure if your motherboard is affected by this, but I have read from many users that they had issues when enabling some features that were disabled by default on their motherboard such as TPM. Motherboard manufactures have released UEFI updates for their boards to fix the issues of the affected boards. Have a look to see if they are any updates.

UEFI compatible doesn't mean that your drive is formatted in GPT.

UEFI system have 2 modes: Legacy and Enabled (sadly, every motherboard manufacture like to call things differently, and MSI likes to be different including calling it "Windows 7 mode" or whatever version of Windows that was out at the time of the board started to be in its design stage, and not release, just to confuse everyone.

UEFI can only interact with drives which are formatted as GPT

UEFI in Legacy mode (BIOS emulation mode), like BIOS based systems, can only interact with MBR formatted drive.

So, if the drive is incorrectly formatted, the UEFI will not find the OS to start, and while some board will say "OS not found" or something along those lines, others will show a blank screen, to be extra helpful.

Now Windows 10 does provide a nice tool to convert the system drive from MBR to GPT, if that is the case (Backup all your data outside of the system, before using). Where you run the tool, then reset your system, go in to the UEFI and enable UEFI mode, and Save & Exit, and now the system will boot (if there was no issue in the conversion, else you will need to format and re-install everything).

It was probably the BIOS. MSI can honestly shove their BIOS in their buttocks. They had released MULTIPLE BIOS updates labelled as "windows 11 ready". Once I updated to latest BIOS it turned TPM on as it should. Prior to this I even reinstalled OS with it turned on in BIOS and safe mode also enabled - nothing changed. One reboot it completely messed up the system so I could hear I was in OS, but no image, not even in BIOS. Had to reboot, smash BIOS key, then plug monitor's power back in (regular power off didn't help). After got it working, installed Windows 11. Ironically Windows 11 install crashed (twice, once fatal crash) after it seems OS was fetching GPU drivers in the background. Windows 11 is pretty sweet, ngl. At least isn't as depressing to use as Windows 10.

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Also, if you get a black screen it can mean the GPU needs an update.

Don't think it was GPU related. Previous BIOS was probably garbage, as MSI has been releasing multiple updates and "windows 11 ready" updates. I did get it solved for now though.