I need a new PC but I have no clue where to start

Sonefall
2 minutes ago, yesyes said:

as far as I understand, capture cards essentially take the load off of your GPU when you're streaming, so that's why I added that, but if you don't need it, then absolutely feel free to remove it.

swapping for an i7 is perfectly reasonable, especially because I came out nearly $1,000 below budget, so I guess you can put upgrades here and there, maybe even get a 240hz 1440p/120hz 4k monitor (not sure if your graphics card has support for that though)

I don't stream often enough for a capture card but I might as well get one in the future. Personally, I fail to notice a difference in refresh rate with anything above 60Hz. That is why I will rather change to a higher resolution

Just now, Sonefall said:

I don't stream often enough for a capture card but I might as well get one in the future. Personally, I fail to notice a difference in refresh rate with anything above 60Hz. That is why I will rather change to a higher resolution

I would give my thoughts on 120hz, except there's only one problem, I've never seen it

actually, that's sort of a lie, my father has an IPhone 11 pro, which has a 120hz OLED display, and while it's not quite the same, I would say the main difference in higher refresh rate lies in reading moving text

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

14 minutes ago, Sonefall said:

Thank you very much. Is 8 cores going to be enough. I was wondering because I have seen a lot of videos about CPUs with up to 64 cores. Obviously that is server hardware, but does 8 cores vs. for example 10 cores going to make a big difference in compile time performance or video editing? Also why 2 CPU coolers?

Pcpartpicker doesn't correctly report core count of the new asymmetrical cpu. The i7-12700K has 8+4 cores, 20 threads. I chose this cpu as a compromise between performance and cost.

Some interesting results in the early reviews with respect to highly threaded work. In some cases the i9-12900k actually outperformed the higher core count 5950X. 

Mistake about the cooler. I had originally selected the 280. Upon reflection I decided on the 360. Forgot to remove the 280.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, yesyes said:

I would give my thoughts on 120hz, except there's only one problem, I've never seen it

actually, that's sort of a lie, my father has an IPhone 11 pro, which has a 120hz OLED display, and while it's not quite the same, I would say the main difference in higher refresh rate lies in reading moving text

Actually... now that you mention that, moving text is something I find myself confronted with a lot.

Just now, Sonefall said:

Actually... now that you mention that, moving text is something I find myself confronted with a lot.

that's where the biggest change is

you could also use that moving alien thing to see what different refresh rates look like, it might help you understand what they look like

I think I will go with DDR5 RAM even though it is still costly atm, because I want to be able to upgrade later.

I will also choose the intel i7 12th gen CPU because of the performance advantage over the Ryzen 7.

Thank you all very much for helping me with this and I will post the list of parts here once I have them.

45 minutes ago, Sonefall said:

Pretty decent. There will always be quibbles over particular parts 😀.

There is an A-RGB version of the Liquid Freezer II AIO should you want more bling.

You might consider the marginally less expensive 2TB Samsung 980 Pro. See https://www.storagereview.com/review/sabrent-rocket-4-plus-ssd-review.

I would suggest a better PSU. See the PSU Tier list for options.

28 minutes ago, brob said:

There is an A-RGB version of the Liquid Freezer II AIO should you want more bling.

You might consider the marginally less expensive 2TB Samsung 980 Pro. See https://www.storagereview.com/review/sabrent-rocket-4-plus-ssd-review.

marginally less expensive

marginally worse

I considered that one, but I concluded that it's worth the extra $20 or whatever

1 hour ago, yesyes said:

marginally less expensive

marginally worse

My interpretation of the data in the provided link was quite different. No matter, the differences are not likely to have a significant real world impact.

4 hours ago, brob said:

Will the PSU be a problem though? the estimated wattage indicated by pcpartpicker seems to be well within the 500W or is there more to it than that?

2 hours ago, Sonefall said:

Will the PSU be a problem though? the estimated wattage indicated by pcpartpicker seems to be well within the 500W or is there more to it than that?

PSU capacitors age. Over several years this may affect power output.

If a GPU upgrade is contemplated 500W is unlikely to be enough.

Upgrades of memory, additional storage, fans, etc. all add to the load.

PSU is a central component. It is the only one that affects performance, reliability, and lifetime of all other attached components. For this reason I generally prefer to to invest in a high quality model with sufficient capacity to handle some growth.

1 hour ago, brob said:

PSU capacitors age. Over several years this may affect power output.

If a GPU upgrade is contemplated 500W is unlikely to be enough.

Upgrades of memory, additional storage, fans, etc. all add to the load.

PSU is a central component. It is the only one that affects performance, reliability, and lifetime of all other attached components. For this reason I generally prefer to to invest in a high quality model with sufficient capacity to handle some growth.

I had a look at the guide that was sent before. I am guessing, the "be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W Gold" is a good choice? The calculator on their website indicates that a system with a Power Consumption of 455W would cause a 70% Load on the power supply. I am guessing that the system will not constantly draw 455W when idle.

• 3 weeks later...

What on earth was I thinking when I went with DDR5? I am tired of reading "Out of stock". Literally everything, but the RAM is ready.

1 hour ago, Sonefall said:

What on earth was I thinking when I went with DDR5? I am tired of reading "Out of stock". Literally everything, but the RAM is ready.

Turns out the issue is short supply of a power control chip on ddr5 modules. Ramping up chip production is not usually a rapid process. Shortages may be around for some time. Keep checking availability and be ready to order as soon as you see stock.