Is it possible to make a crypto mining code with python that is solely based on DIMM speeds?

馃槃

oh wait this isnt post random emojis?

Well then, maybe, but I dont think you understand how crypto works. Plus, I feel like this could wear out ram, because you would proably be writing to it and unwriting in the next clock to prove the ram is runnign at the speed it should be

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Alot of people have excess ram so ppl will definitely mine it.

oh wait this isnt post random emojis?

Well then, maybe, but I dont think you understand how crypto works. Plus, I feel like this could wear out ram, because you would proably be writing to it and unwriting in the next clock to prove the ram is runnign at the speed it should be

Cryptomining has to "produce" something, some kind of unique token (or "coin"). Mining a coin must take a certain amount of computational effort otherwise anyone can just generate however many tokens they want, making it worthless.

As a simplified example, Bitcoin computes SHA-256 hashes. A hash is only a valid coin, when that hash meets certain criteria (e.g. starts with x zeroes). Since a hash is irreversible, you can't just generate a coin and then perform the operation in reverse. This means you have to test millions or billions of numbers to find one that produces a winning hash. When computational power increases, the difficulty is increased by making the criteria more strict.

If you can come up with an algorithm that somehow benefits from lots of RAM or fast RAM, then sure, you can use that for some form of cryptocurrency. The programing language is secondary, you need to come up with an algorithm first (and I'd assume for the sake of efficiency, most people would not pick Python to implement it).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Don't know about any limitations that Python might have, but in a very generic sense I have to wonder if this might be achieved by something similar to ethash but with two changes: 1, use a data set, thus the amount of ram required, that exceeds that of common GPUs to prevent their use, and 2, use a computation method that can't easily be implemented by GPU but can be by CPU.

Part 1: might be difficult now, given that 16GB is slowly moving mainstream in GPUs. 32GB systems would be the next logical step, less a bit for OS and other uses. Some high end GPUs might still achieve this. Excluding 16GB ram systems may reduce interest.

Part 2: might override part 1. GPUs are still best at stuff that scales wide, and you'd have to find a way to come up with a hashing workload that doesn't scale on GPU, even by running multiple instances. If the goal is to use ram perf as the limiting factor, then it would have to be capable of using that ram perf.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi,聽Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE聽ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070,聽MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North,聽Samsung 990 Pro 2TB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Cryptomining has to "produce" something, some kind of unique token (or "coin"). Mining a coin must take a certain amount of computational effort otherwise anyone can just generate however many tokens they want, making it worthless.

As a simplified example, Bitcoin computes SHA-256 hashes. A hash is only a valid coin, when that hash meets certain criteria (e.g. starts with x zeroes). Since a hash is irreversible, you can't just generate a coin and then perform the operation in reverse. This means you have to test millions or billions of numbers to find one that produces a winning hash. When computational power increases, the difficulty is increased by making the criteria more strict.

If you can come up with an algorithm that somehow benefits from lots of RAM or fast RAM, then sure, you can use that for some form of cryptocurrency. The programing language is secondary, you need to come up with an algorithm first (and I'd assume for the sake of efficiency, most people would not pick Python to implement it).

what programming software do u think would be applicable (I am really thinking about pursuing this idea)

Just now, Skept said:

what programming software do u think would be applicable (I am really thinking about pursuing this idea)

As I said, programming language is a secondary concern. Worry about coming up with an algorithm first, then pick whatever programming language is most efficient for implementing it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

As I said, programming language is a secondary concern. Worry about coming up with an algorithm first, then pick whatever programming language is most efficient for implementing it.

I'm a complete newby so I guess I'll just start learning about algorithm's聽

Also realise that while the time of random (shit)coins pumping is most certainly not over, if you want your coin to be worth something at all or see it being used besides just hype (think shiba, doge etc.) then you need a use case. What is your coin going to do that the hundreds or thousands of others don't already do? How will it be better and/or more efficient at it? Why would people use your coin over existing ones? Will your solution scale properly should it see large(r) scale usage? All things to consider.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F聽| RAM: GSkill聽16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU:聽i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU:聽i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB