i am planning to upgrade it with a AIO water cooler

any suggestions?

thanks in advance

CPU?

Thermal paste?

Does it have enough mounting pressure?

OC?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

39 minutes ago, Vishera said:

CPU?

Thermal paste?

Does it have enough mounting pressure?

OC?

not sure

stock thermal paste i guess

2 minutes ago, Mike171 said:

not sure

stock thermal paste i guess

You don't know what CPU you are using??? Open up System Information and look at the Processor line.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

You don't know what CPU you are using??? Open up System Information and look at the Processor line.

image.png.55f327fff7dcbe88506766645e62c91c.png

Not sure if the model of the cpu matters

the cpu is rated 105 w

my cpu cooler is rated as 200w tdp

and yet i am still thermal throttling with around 70% of the score on cinebench r23

Just now, Mike171 said:

image.png.55f327fff7dcbe88506766645e62c91c.png

the cpu is rated 105 w

and yet i am still thermal throttling with around 70% of the score on cinebench r23

That cooler doesnt come with pre-applied thermal paste. You need to apply it yourself before you put the cooler on, and if you cant recall doing that, then you may be running without thermal paste.

Did you ever touch this little tube under the installation?

image.png.2b70b4cb783de676db5715443785f2e8.png

1 minute ago, DankDeuxez said:

That cooler doesnt come with pre-applied thermal paste. You need to apply it yourself before you put the cooler on, and if you cant recall doing that, then you may be running without thermal paste.

Did you ever touch this little tube under the installation?

image.png.2b70b4cb783de676db5715443785f2e8.png

Yes, i followed the video provided  by linus tech group on youtube using the pea method.

4 minutes ago, Mike171 said:

the cpu is rated 105 w

TDP doesn't really mean anything just because the CPU is rated at 105W and the cooler is 200W, doesn't mean it will cool properly. 

What AIO cooler do you have? Some are inadequate for a 16C/32T processor, such as the Ryzen 9 5950X. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

TDP doesn't really mean anything just because the CPU is rated at 105W and the cooler is 200W, doesn't mean it will cool properly. 

What AIO cooler do you have? Some are inadequate for a 16C/32T processor, such as the Ryzen 9 5950X. 

The air cooler i currently have is the be quiet dark rock 4 
the AIO cooler i am planning on getting will be the 
Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler

costing 176 canadian

My 5900X is capable of well over 200w in R23. So is yours.. the 105w on the box is a lie 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

My 5900X is capable of well over 200w in R23. So is yours.. the 105w on the box is a lie 🙂

Any AIO water cooling solution recommendations?

I am using a standard ATX pc case

6 minutes ago, Mike171 said:

The air cooler i currently have is the be quiet dark rock 4 
the AIO cooler i am planning on getting will be the 
Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler

costing 176 canadian

That's a decent air cooler. Did you forget to remove the plastic tape from the bottom of the cold plate on the cooler before installation? Apparently, someone on a reddit forum did the same thing and are experiencing thermal throttling. (as expected, this will impair cooling performance) After removal, it's perfectly good now. 

4 minutes ago, Mike171 said:

Any AIO water cooling solution recommendations?

I am using a standard ATX pc case

I think AIO's are junk, so you wont see me recommending them  pretty much ever.

But if you don't like your cooler, I like my Thermalright FC140 quite a bit. But yours should be ok, unless you have something else going on.

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's a decent air cooler. Did you forget to remove the plastic tape from the bottom of the cold plate on the cooler before installation? Apparently, someone on a reddit forum did the same thing and are experiencing thermal throttling. (as expected, this will impair cooling performance) After removal, it's perfectly good now. 

I haven't bought the AIO cooler yet. There's too many options to choose from. I will remind myself to remove the plastic tape from the bottom of the cold plate.

for example, with corsair alone. the options are:

Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler 213 CAD
Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler 176 CAD

Corsair Hydro H115i RGB Platinum CPU Cooler 194 CAD

Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler 222 CAD

Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler 265 CAD

Drp4 is a really good air cooler, similar to nh d15 performance wise which should be able to cool a 5950x

Unless you have your cpu auto overclock or something the cooler should be adequate, maybe try putting on the thermal paste again, though since ryzen has multiple chiplets i think drawing an x with the thermal paste is preffered for ryzen cause it isnt a single monolithic die like intel where you can get away with a small pea of thermal paste

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Drp4 is a really good air cooler, similar to nh d15 performance wise which should be able to cool a 5950x

Unless you have your cpu auto overclock or something the cooler should be adequate, maybe try putting on the thermal paste again, though since ryzen has multiple chiplets i think drawing an x with the thermal paste is preffered for ryzen cause it isnt a single monolithic die like intel where you can get away with a small pea of thermal paste

Mine is only dark rock 4 not the pro version

is that the cause of the thermal issues?

7 minutes ago, Mike171 said:

I will remind myself to remove the plastic tape from the bottom of the cold plate.

Did you mean to check it was removed or it's not removed??? I really really hope you will check. 

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Drp4 is a really good air cooler

OP has Dark Rock 4, which is a single air tower cooler. 

1 minute ago, Mike171 said:

Mine is only dark rock 4

Oh

Me being a retard and not double checking what f ing cooler you have ;-;

Well dr4 is still a decent cooler and should still be capable of cooling the 5950x, try repasting with an x pattern rather than a tiny pea/dot

7nm is no joke.. People say these run really hot.. not really.. but they can if you let them. I have mine set to boost over 5GHz, and she does with no problem.

For TIM application on Ryzen, I have been using the spatula. My Intel methods do not apply here.

What motherboard are you using? Are you using default bios settings?

What case are you using and how is the system airflow setup? What rpm are your fans at under load? Are temps any better with the side panel off?

Have you tried reseating the cooler? 

The pea method for thermal paste application is alright but the X-pattern is probably better for full coverage on a 5950x. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.