RTX3090 being hash rate limited

apartipis

Hi, 

I upgraded to a W11 a few days ago, and recently applied the windows update.
I'm guessing windows did a graphics driver update as well, as I noticed that hash rate went down to ~57MH/s

As far as I know 3090 is not a LHR card.
Rebooting brings back the hash rate. After approximately 4 hours it goes to ~57MH/s

The driver version when first encountered the issue - 496.13
I tried using the latest driver 496.49 but it has the same issue.

Currently testing it with driver 472.12. I found on a reddit post that it might help.

I've been running this card for almost a year now, without any issues.
That is not cool from nvidia to just start limiting things on a whim.

I don't know if it's a false positive or a deliberate action, but its unacceptable in my opinion.

You cant just change a non LHR card to a LHR after the fact.

Just wanted to get this out.

5 minutes ago, apartipis said:

Rebooting brings back the hash rate

to.... how much?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

to 110MH/s 

I can run it a bit faster but with lower efficiency and higher temps, so this is a sweet spot for me.

20 minutes ago, apartipis said:

to 110MH/s 

I can run it a bit faster but with lower efficiency and higher temps, so this is a sweet spot for me.

then there's something definitely going wrong

probably another windows 11 bug

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

• 1 month later...

Same problem here, 88-90Mh down from 117Mh, but only after i "upgraded" to the latest 497.09 (December NVIDIA driver upgrade) today; however after I tried the latest studio version (472.84) and downgraded to game  496.76(November), both have the same LHR to 89mh after 20 minutes or so, tried 496.49 (October 26th) and 472.12 (September) drivers, still same sh*t... 

Is NVidia driver or Windows 11 update causing the hashrate drop?

BTW: historical drivers can be downloaded here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us#

On 12/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, charles-cai said:

Same problem here, 88-90Mh down from 117Mh, but only after i "upgraded" to the latest 497.09 (December NVIDIA driver upgrade) today; however after I tried the latest studio version (472.84) and downgraded to game  496.76(November), both have the same LHR to 89mh after 20 minutes or so, tried 496.49 (October 26th) and 472.12 (September) drivers, still same sh*t... 

Is NVidia driver or Windows 11 update causing the hashrate drop?

BTW: historical drivers can be downloaded here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us#

OK, after checking https://www.kryptex.org/en/overclocking/asus-3090-strix-oc and I redid fine-tuning of my Strix 3090, it turned out to be thermal throttled! 

Current settings are 81% power, -129Mhz Core Clock, and +1107Mhz Memory Clock, ad 104Mh hashrate, and HWINFO64 showing 108 degree GPU Memory Junction Temperature, slight below 110 which triggers throttling.

Observations: Core can be around -120 ~ -200MHz, Memory can be around +1100 ~ +1200MHz, only change single digit hashrate, because of Thermal Throttling; changing Power Limit will adjust power consumption between 295W to 331W, however if you see nvidia-smi command line output difference, i.e. WDDM reported power > actual usage, there's thermal throttling I believe, i.e. it cannot use all the power up-limit but less.

Maybe I should do the thermal pads mod? 

If it works, cant blame a driver. Dont even need the drivers to mine. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

What are your temperatures when under 100% load? GPU, VRAM temps.

On 12/25/2021 at 1:57 AM, DPOverLord said:

It sucks that Nvidia made their drivers unable to mine. 

Anyone figure a fix? I only know to downgrade to 472.19 drivers as a fix,

see above post. Has nothing to do with drivers. You are likely being thermally limited. 

3 hours ago, jwwagner25 said:

see above post. Has nothing to do with drivers. You are likely being thermally limited. 

If it were my thermal pads it would not matter what driver I'm on. 

Currently it only drops with drivers above 472.19.

It literally starts at a hash of 56 of the bat. When I go to 472.19 it is 120

Temps are 60 on the card with MSI I can't see the mem temp

3 hours ago, DPOverLord said:

If it were my thermal pads it would not matter what driver I'm on. 

Currently it only drops with drivers above 472.19.

It literally starts at a hash of 56 of the bat. When I go to 472.19 it is 120

Temps are 60 on the card with MSI I can't see the mem temp

Stop mining in windows and see how it acts.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 1 month later...

This is definitely something in Windows. An update installed, and my hash dropped from 38.5 to 30. I just wiped windows, and installed clean install. Mined for 48 hours at 38.5 MH/S. I let windows update install again, just on a whim to confirm what happened. Rebooted machine, and tried mining again. Immediately the same results.

I'm pretty sure it's not allowing the video core clock to get adjusted. I had mine locked at 860, and it will only run at 720 after the windows upgrade applied.

Just install Ubuntu, screw Microsoft and their worthless garbage.