Facebook did something positive 😲 Oculus Go headsets can now be fully unlocked/rooted

Master Disaster

A year after the device was officially discontinued Oculus will now allow anyone with a Go headset to fully unlock the device granting them full and unconditional root access, the ability to run unsigned code on the device and the removal of FB integration from the device.

As John Carmack shared last month, we are making an unlocked OS build for the Oculus Go headset available, allowing full root access. This opens up the ability to repurpose the hardware for more things today. The guide below describes how to use the software contained in the download to gain low-level access to the Oculus OS on the Oculus Go device

They do stress that doing so is irreversible and the device will stop getting OTA updates but considering the device has been EOL for a year I doubt most people will care.

Please note that unlocking your device is not reversible and you will no longer receive OTA updates. This process will not work on any other device or OS.

They even provide a pretty nice guide with instructions

Spoiler

Oculus Go Software Unlock Guide

What can I do with an unlocked Oculus Go?

This process puts the device in a state where the bootloader does not signature check the boot.img, and does not enforce dm-verity verification via the kernel command line. This allows you to safely replace the boot.img with your own version, which in turn allows you to replace the system.img.

How do I unlock the device?

1. Connect the Oculus Go to a computer by USB cable.

2. Allow ADB on the headset by enabling developer mode.

3. Reboot into adb sideload mode using one of the following methods:

• Issue the command adb reboot sideload.

• Issue the command adb reboot bootloader, or hold down Volume Up button when booting from the powered off state to get to bootloader, select the Sideload menu option, and press the Power button.

4. From your computer, issue the command adb sideload unlocked_build.zip.

5. Wait for completion and for the device to reboot.

6. Reboot to bootloader using one of the following methods:

• Issue the command adb reboot bootloader.

• Hold down the Volume Up button when booting from off to get to the bootloader

• Issue the command fastboot oem unlock. This step WILL factory reset your device, erasing all data.

7. The device is now unlocked and commands like fastboot flash and adb root will now be accepted.

How do I know when my device is unlocked?

The device will show a warning screen during the boot process if the boot.img does not contain an Oculus signature. This is a warning that the device has been unlocked and may be running modified software.

Can I lock my device again?

The device may be put into a locked state again by issuing the `fastboot oem lock` command. This command will also wipe your user data upon execution to prevent persistent rootkits or other malicious software. When in a locked state, the device will check the boot.img to see if it contains an Oculus signature. If it does not, the device will not boot. Only official Oculus-signed images may be run when the device is in a locked state.

We hope access to the OS build helps you repurpose Oculus Go for more things today.

Source - https://developer.oculus.com/blog/unlocking-oculus-go/

I'm actually impressed tbh. This saves a lot of eWaste down the road and allows amateur programmers a cheap and easy entry point into developing VR apps.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Damn, I'm impressed. A company actually letting people do what they want with the product they buy. (I mean it's still only after they discontinued it but it's still cool).

Now if only Samsung would let you unlock your own damn phone... Even if they only allowed it after the phone stops receiving updates...
(Through to be fair some of this is due to US carriers being the scum of the earth because Samsung actually does allow people to unlock bootloaders in other countries. However with the Fold3 they do disable cameras which is kinda cringe so it's not all carriers fault.)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- GPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB
RAM: 32GB @ 4800 MTs

Storage: OEM 1TB M.2
Display: Main 1800p@120Hz OLED + Screnpad Plus 2880x864@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Root after EOL is a great idea.

Can every company do this?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Whoa, that's pretty neat. Though it's John Carmack, I shouldn't really be surprised that he wants people to do what they want with their stuff. He did after all release most of the id Tech engines as FOSS.

That being said, I wonder how long it will be before Zuck forces him out now.

I imagine the secondary market for Oculus Go headsets is about to get really hot...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Fuck Facebook, they are still a disgusting company even if you do good things sometimes.

13 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

AKA scaling up production would help drive costs down but sales are crap because it's currently locked.

The Go is discontinued, they're not making any more of them.

This probably only went through thanks to Carmack's initiative, I wouldn't expect it to be an indication of any future action by the company.

yay, big awful corparation letting you do whatever you want with your purchased product after they decided they no longer want to support it. how magnanimous of them

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just thinking out loud here, isn't a lot of the stuff they use open source?

Where's their source code for everything?