37,000-machine study finds most reliable Windows PC is a Mac

Jozi

I understand it's important as a point of distinction, but aren't they all PCs? Unless somebody changed the definition of Personal Computer it applies to all of the current Apple product range. :D

I like both, for whatever it's worth. :wub:

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

• 2 weeks later...

37,000-machine study finds most reliable Windows PC is a Mac - Linky + Credit to The Register

A MacBook Pro is the most reliable PC on which to run Windows, according to research from PC-monitoring-as-a-service outfit Soluto.

Soluto users install an agent on their PCs. That piece of software keeps an eye on the PC and sends information to Soluto, which then alerts sysadmins about potential problems so they can act before things go pear-shaped.

Found this article  and find it really interesting enough to post as my first item to share as it is saying macs are the most reliable at running windows. Personally i have not had a windows crash in a while (out with me messing about and causing an error).. Then again unless it's something a bit more than restart and get on with things i was doing before i never take much notice of any crashes and more than likely forget about them. 

Also the article mentions fact that windows installs on a mac are clean compared to the windows laptop's where the manufacturer will usually include a bunch of software and that might be the same case with my installs of windows and lack of crashes as mention above albeit on a desktop rather than laptops as listed in the article.

Desktop
i5-760: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Asus GTX 760 2gb

Laptop 

i5-4300u: 8GB ram, Intel HD: 128GB: 1080p Touch

The mid-2012 MacBook Pro recorded just 0.88 crashes a week and 1.06 hangs over the same period of time.

i would be worried if my pc would crash once a week.. and if this is good enough to be number one, how virus polluted are these testsystems? :D

They measured it in crashes a week? Hmm... I wonder what a poll like that here would look like.

so a mac is better then pc... when the mac is running a pc os.... interesting bs i think

Character artist in the Games industry.

So let get this straight.  The more expensive laptops are better?  Gotcha.  

Still won't get me to buy an Apple branded anything, much less a laptop with their logo.

Apple trolling to sell more hardware they have in excess inventory.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

just think about it, how often do you see a apple computer (not os) go in for repairs , that has to deals with hardware issues and not user error, branding aside if they covered up everything and put an asus on it, you would get it

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

just think about it, how often do you see a apple computer (not os) go in for repairs , that has to deals with hardware issues and not user error, branding aside if they covered up everything and put an asus on it, you would get it

I've seen many Mac's go in for repairs, stop by your local Apple repair shop and look.

I've seen many Mac's go in for repairs, stop by your local Apple repair shop and look.

yes becuase people are stupid and/or they drop it but not for defects

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I'm not surprised by this at all. I've used a Macbook for over four years now (the unibody aluminium one, which basically is the same as the first Macbook pro). I've been using Windows on it for school and work, and it has generally outperformed the computers of whoever I've worked with.

The only other laptop I've had was a Dell Inspiron. Comparing those two, I'll have to say that the extra initial cost of getting the Mac really is worth it, as the Dell only was good for about a year and a half. (my thinking is that I would have to get a new laptop at least once during this time, had I not gone for the Mac)

Coming to think of it, my mother has a Dell XPS 13" Studio (or whatever they're called) from the same aera. It actually cost more than my Mac, it has the same CPU and similar nVidia graphics, and I've done a clean Windows install on it. That computer has been a lot of trouble. It's slower during usage and it runs hotter. I'm convinced Apple just puts together very good hardware and drivers.

Slightly off topic: My computer has lived a hard life, in and out of bags and backpacks with no protective sleeves, and I've been using it in a workshop for about two years. It has a fair amount of scratches on the underside, and a couple on the lid, but that's it. It's perfectly fine, the lid even feels tight as new. The XPS has been used only in my parents living room, and its falling apart. Major build quality difference!

just going by that, since to run windows with apple you have to customize it right off the bat, and if you run in bootcamp or another emulator its simply starting a program and not booting up. they don't even publish their methodology.

Bootcamp isn't an emulator, its just a program that helps you partition your drive, install Windows on it, manage your built in devices (BT, WiFi, trackpad etc) and install the right drivers. ;)

I'm not surprised by this at all. I've used a Macbook for over four years now (the unibody aluminium one, which basically is the same as the first Macbook pro). I've been using Windows on it for school and work, and it has generally outperformed the computers of whoever I've worked with.

The only other laptop I've had was a Dell Inspiron. Comparing those two, I'll have to say that the extra initial cost of getting the Mac really is worth it, as the Dell only was good for about a year and a half. (my thinking is that I would have to get a new laptop at least once during this time, had I not gone for the Mac)

Coming to think of it, my mother has a Dell XPS 13" Studio (or whatever they're called) from the same aera. It actually cost more than my Mac, it has the same CPU and similar nVidia graphics, and I've done a clean Windows install on it. That computer has been a lot of trouble. It's slower during usage and it runs hotter. I'm convinced Apple just puts together very good hardware and drivers.

Slightly off topic: My computer has lived a hard life, in and out of bags and backpacks with no protective sleeves, and I've been using it in a workshop for about two years. It has a fair amount of scratches on the underside, and a couple on the lid, but that's it. It's perfectly fine, the lid even feels tight as new. The XPS has been used only in my parents living room, and its falling apart. Major build quality difference!

Bootcamp isn't an emulator, its just a program that helps you partition your drive, install Windows on it, manage your built in devices (BT, WiFi, trackpad etc) and install the right drivers. ;)

But then again it's Dell. Asus, Lenovo and Toshiba has much better build quality.

But then again it's Dell, Asus, Lenovo and Toshiba has much better build quality.

This is true nowadays. But back then most were just as bad as Dell :P

yes becuase people are stupid and/or they drop it but not for defects

If you call Mac users stupid well I won't stop ya :D

But the countless people with bad Macs is countless, due to defects.

If you call Mac users stupid well I won't stop ya :D

But the countless people with bad Macs is countless, due to defects.

"what? i only left it in my trunk for like 2 days. i couldn't get that hot" 

"i apologize sir, but our warranty does not cover misuse of the device itself, this this this and this all show that this macbook has been in a very hot environment. and you yourself said its been in your car a few days"

"why won't you repair it?"

"because this is florida and its 98F outside right now, our warranty won't cover you baking the computer"

A mac is a pc but just with a Apple TPM on the mobo , that's it.. ( and ofcorse Apple software. )

Interested in Business and Technology

When I see threads like this, it's either we have a gentlemen conversation, or it leads to something like this...

45752713885203689c3edab.jpg

Note from Moderator Dim: Some may deem this offensive (I don't); beware potentially offensive language.

Hence why it is now in a spoiler.

I have always been happy with asus with my various products also never have had a problem with a gateway but IDK about that track record for anyone else 

Their sample doesn't include Asus machines and a number of other now-major vendors.

I love my macbook pro, though I would never buy another windows or mac computer again. LINUX USERS UNITE, DEFEAT CLOSED SOURCE OSes.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018