37,000-machine study finds most reliable Windows PC is a Mac

Jozi

I'm not suprised really. Macbooks are quite solid computers even if they are expensive. I am shocked about Dell however; I've had atrocious luck with them recently. 10 years ago or so they were great but they seem to be going downhill lately.

This is such a BS survey. The mac gets a fresh install with no bloatware, AND some of the people using macs with windows on them are likely dual booting, thus spending less time in the OS per day or week, thus resulting in less crashes just due to less use, because this poll isn't normalized to the amount of time that the computer was on for. Not to mention the *only* basis for this survey is crashes/hangs/bsod's/etc. They don't actually factor in performance. Not that macs underperform, I'm just pointing that out. Helps to explain how a 700$ laptop got 2nd.

Let me set the record straight though: there's nothing wrong with a mac. They tend to be extremely high quality machines. I'm typing this on a mac book which I've used consistently for 4-8 hours a day for 4 years, and the only service I've had to do on it in that 4 years is to replace the battery twice and defrag the HDD once. I also have an iPhone 5 and an iTouch that's several years old and they both work great.

All I'm saying is that the survey has bias. The site that published it is likely just doing it to get media attention and draw users to their site. And it's working, extremely well.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Here we go. 15 pages with "MACS ARE FOR FAGS" "APPLE IS EVIL"

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES

My side of the story:

What I think is that the most people buy an Apple product is to show off. Most of the time they don't even know how to utilize them. I agree Apple products are great, if not then simply awesome. They have good build qualities, they are good looking. When you have an Apple product, it actually feels like you have something. Which brings the fact that they are overpriced. But they are actually not that much, at least not in all cases. Based on the service and amount of work they put in designing and optimizing hardware and software, a entry level Apple product would be reasonable, such as a MacBook with no dedicated GPU and SSD. In their case everything is in a stable configuration. Then the copy of Windows you put into it is not OEM. So yeah, if you are using windows on a Mac just for the sake of using it then it will seem to be the most relaiable.

Then on the other hand if you are using actual programs like CAD, programming software bla bla bla on a boot camp Windows, most of them won't even run on it, at least properly. Their hardware just don't have that much driver support for windows (softwares). If you put windows on a Mac just to watch videos, music, Microsoft Office and bla bla bla, then there is no point buying such an expensive piece of equipment. Just buy a $50 laptop from Kijiji or Craiglist

Then Apple is charging too much for memory, GPU and SSD or HDD upgrade. You can get the same performing hardware for cheaper, if not way better performing stuff. Why would you buy a MacPro with a HD 5770 and pay $269.00 for each additional card. Just buy a Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Mac Edition.

If you use a PC (Laptop), know how to properly use it and then use it properly. There are so many ways to screw up because there are so many ways to customize them and so many different drivers. Mac OSX is awesome. I would love to get my hands on a MacBook and a MacPro. But they aren't the best performing windows platforms. Where are all the Ultrabooks, the gaming notebooks? Like someone said (I don't remember who) Apple is like a bicycle, you are stable and safe. Windows is like a superbike, you get the speed and freedom but also the risk. But you can always avoid them.

I might be wrong in many cases. In that case, please feel free to virtually bomb me.

I think that if they had Dell, they certainly had Alienware as well, but from my experience with an Alienware laptop, it had so much bugs and hangs (with the "clear" Alienware + Windows install) that it didn't make it to the top 10 :P

Oh and since Alienware users tend to use their computer more, they tend to have more bugs per week even if they don't install crapy things and don't get viruses, because they use it more (why else would they want an Alienware, swag maybe?)

It's just horrible how people say MacBooks are overpriced when you see the difference in quality between Alienware and Apple... Almost the same price and hardware, Alienware doesn't run that great, you often receive a DoA laptop or something defective on it, and very bad support... But still I would not buy an Apple laptop... 'Cause going to a lan-party with a MacBook is just... not to be done

Please anyone, I have owned desktop and laptop from alienware and had a MacBook for some time (before becoming a gamer). I will not buy any Apple product anymore, because I have a Thinkpad and am a student, so I don't have enough money to get a Mac and a windows license...

I am not a lover, neither a hater of Apple or any other brand, I watch Linus' videos and read other reviews to get the best for my buck.

Thanks for your time

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

Like someone said (I don't remember who) Apple is like a bicycle, you are stable and safe. Windows is like a superbike, you get the speed and freedom but also the risk. But you can always avoid them.

I think you mean Apple is a Quadbike with pedals, Windows is a powerfull Quadbike, and Linux is the Superbike ^^

All I can say is chrome book pixel is superior for basic apps,like web surfing, as lyons has said, and office type things, google docs and such. Wait, you dont want the chromebook pixel? Why on Earth not??? I mean its overpriced but its good for regular stuff. And that is my point Lynos. Sure there are a lot of great laptops out there, but no one is going to spend 1k$ for something they can get almost equivilant performance for 450. As you said, why do you need an expensive laptop if your just doing word docs and crap? I hate apple because they take modern technology, slap a giant price tag on it, and Preinstall an operating system that will never fully utilize the power of the components. It loorjs to me that lyon is a mac fanboy...

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I think that if they had Dell, they certainly had Alienware as well, but from my experience with an Alienware laptop, it had so much bugs and hangs (with the "clear" Alienware + Windows install) that it didn't make it to the top 10 :P

Oh and since Alienware users tend to use their computer more, they tend to have more bugs per week even if they don't install crapy things and don't get viruses, because they use it more (why else would they want an Alienware, swag maybe?)

It's just horrible how people say MacBooks are overpriced when you see the difference in quality between Alienware and Apple... Almost the same price and hardware, Alienware doesn't run that great, you often receive a DoA laptop or something defective on it, and very bad support... But still I would not buy an Apple laptop... 'Cause going to a lan-party with a MacBook is just... not to be done

Please anyone, I have owned desktop and laptop from alienware and had a MacBook for some time (before becoming a gamer). I will not buy any Apple product anymore, because I have a Thinkpad and am a student, so I don't have enough money to get a Mac and a windows license...

I am not a lover, neither a hater of Apple or any other brand, I watch Linus' videos and read other reviews to get the best for my buck.

Thanks for your time

For gaming, desktops all the way. Alienware sucks. Try to look for some kind Asus laptop with a reasonable GPU if you want to use like Alienware. Or look of an ultrabook.

I think you mean Apple is a Quadbike with pedals, Windows is a powerfull Quadbike, and Linux is the Superbike ^^

May be, I don't remember.

it leads to something like a broken link?

I didn't know it was a broken link...it looks fine to me, I just reuploaded the picture to imageshack and edited it in. Weird.

I didn't know it was a broken link...it looks fine to me, I just reuploaded the picture to imageshack and edited it in. Weird.

now that it is working. i gave a hearty giggle and it lifted my spirits.

have an e-cookie/iphone

iphone-cookie-2.jpg

When I see threads like this, it's either we have a gentlemen conversation, or it leads to something like this...

45752713885203689c3edab.jpg

Note from Moderator Dim: Some may deem this offensive (I don't); beware potentially offensive language.

Hence why it is now in a spoiler.

I laughed :P But you may notice I've edited your post to keep the peace.

I laughed :P But you may notice I've edited your post to keep the peace.

Not a problem, I'll remember to put stuff in spoilers and note it if it's such a controversial item.

Glad you liked it, I also didn't make it.

For gaming, desktops all the way. Alienware sucks. Try to look for some kind Asus laptop with a reasonable GPU if you want to use like Alienware. Or look of an ultrabook.

The thing is I'm planning to work hard in the summer to buy myself an RoG laptop, or an Ultrabook, depending on what courses I have to follow next year at the uni.

I'm not surprised by this at all. I've used a Macbook for over four years now (the unibody aluminium one, which basically is the same as the first Macbook pro). I've been using Windows on it for school and work, and it has generally outperformed the computers of whoever I've worked with.

The only other laptop I've had was a Dell Inspiron. Comparing those two, I'll have to say that the extra initial cost of getting the Mac really is worth it, as the Dell only was good for about a year and a half. (my thinking is that I would have to get a new laptop at least once during this time, had I not gone for the Mac)

Coming to think of it, my mother has a Dell XPS 13" Studio (or whatever they're called) from the same aera. It actually cost more than my Mac, it has the same CPU and similar nVidia graphics, and I've done a clean Windows install on it. That computer has been a lot of trouble. It's slower during usage and it runs hotter. I'm convinced Apple just puts together very good hardware and drivers.

Slightly off topic: My computer has lived a hard life, in and out of bags and backpacks with no protective sleeves, and I've been using it in a workshop for about two years. It has a fair amount of scratches on the underside, and a couple on the lid, but that's it. It's perfectly fine, the lid even feels tight as new. The XPS has been used only in my parents living room, and its falling apart. Major build quality difference!

Bootcamp isn't an emulator, its just a program that helps you partition your drive, install Windows on it, manage your built in devices (BT, WiFi, trackpad etc) and install the right drivers. ;)

You right this as if the unibody construction makes the laptop faster. I also would like to remind you that sometimes reintalling windows on computers actually slows it down because there are drivers and special software on the computer from the factory that the manufacture doesnt provide for download, So what i have found is that i have to backup the drivers before a fresh install. BTW i handle a lot of computers on a daily basis so i have figured this out on a trial and error type of thing. 

I think the important detail is the way windows is installed. I have a cheap Compaq laptop, the first thing I did was re-install a bloatware free windows. Never had a problem with it.

Who knows what kind of garbage those studied were putting on their pcs.

I7-950 @3.06ghz GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R 3X2gb CORSAIR XMS3 @ 2000MHZ GIGABYTE 7950 CORSAIR HX1000 PSU SANDISK SSD WD 1TB BLACK CORSAIR 600T

I5-750 @ 3.5ghz MSI P55A-GD65 NO DEDICATED RAM YET 2X XFX 5770 OCZ FATAL1TY 1000WATT PSU CORSAIR SSD BITFENIX OUTLAW

I5-760 GIGABYTE P55A-UD4p 4x2gb GSKILL @ 1600   Possible Hackintosh 

That can be modified to whatever you like.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm not going to jump into this much but I will leave some insight into what I see working in a technology store that sells both PC and Mac.

Generally on a hardware side, you can indeed acquire a PC laptop for about 30% cheaper than a Mac at the expense of built quality. Sometimes there are exceptions however, such as Samsungs Series 9 15inch "macbook air killer". Compare the specs and build quality in that case.

On the side that *most* customers see however, performance will be rated according to software speed, ease of use, and intuitiveness first. This can be a mixed bag as some PC machines have more bad bloatware than others, where as OSX and Windows on Mac have almost none. (Personally I consider iTunes to be bloatware)

So while this study is very interesting, it does not take into account removing bloatware from PC laptops, nor does it take into account the general idea that people will use what they are comfortable with.

Remember: a reliable product won't make you any money if no one buys it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'm not going to jump into this much but I will leave some insight into what I see working in a technology store that sells both PC and Mac.

Generally on a hardware side, you can indeed acquire a PC laptop for about 30% cheaper than a Mac at the expense of built quality. Sometimes there are exceptions however, such as Samsungs Series 9 15inch "macbook air killer". Compare the specs and build quality in that case.

On the side that *most* customers see however, performance will be rated according to software speed, ease of use, and intuitiveness first. This can be a mixed bag as some PC machines have more bad bloatware than others, where as OSX and Windows on Mac have almost none. (Personally I consider iTunes to be bloatware)

So while this study is very interesting, it does not take into account removing bloatware from PC laptops, nor does it take into account the general idea that people will use what they are comfortable with.

Remember: a reliable product won't make you any money if no one buys it.

Like I said in my comment on the first page said, nobody cares about specs any more. Even the cheapest of ultrabooks are capable of running office programs and web browsers without any slow downs. If it can do that, then it is adequate in the eyes of the average consumer looking for a pretty laptop - and guess what? Macbooks are the prettiest.

Here's an analogy I like to make when explaining the price of Macbooks:

You know that Mercedes C250 CGI that costs $70,000 and isn't any faster than a Subaru WRX that costs $35,000? It doesn't matter that the Mercedes costs twice as much; it's better. It's built better. It is manufactured to a higher safety spec. The engine is smoother. The driving experience is arguably better. It has more driver aids that can save your life in an emergency. When you get a flat tire you take it to a Mercedes workshop and they fix it in half an hour for free, and while you're waiting they give you the day's paper and an espresso. Specs aren't everything. Next time you fools try to shoot down Apple products, think about what ACTUALLY goes into manufacturing them before you buy them and the service you get after. Think about how the are unmatched in build quality. Think about it. They are better, and yes, you do need to pay for it. This sh*t isn't free.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

And supposedly #6 is as well!

Lmao.

I wonder which Mac OS notebook is the best windows PC?

That awkward moment when people start arguing beyond the topic of the thread... 

You right this as if the unibody construction makes the laptop faster. I also would like to remind you that sometimes reintalling windows on computers actually slows it down because there are drivers and special software on the computer from the factory that the manufacture doesnt provide for download, So what i have found is that i have to backup the drivers before a fresh install. BTW i handle a lot of computers on a daily basis so i have figured this out on a trial and error type of thing. 

I don't recall atributing any properties to the unibody construction :P But if what you say about drivers is correct, then the "fresh install" argument kinda falls to pieces on the grounds that drivers should be available from the manufacturer ;) Would driver backup work with the transition from one OS to another, like Vista to Win7? Or 32-64 bit?

Why wouldn't they be the best? They have:

- great battery life

- the best build quality

- the best support

- the best trackpads

- the best keyboards (now that Thinkpads have changed to chiclet)

- the best screens (rMBP, and MBP is also 16:10)

- they can run OSX, linux, and Windows very easily (bootcamp) 

- they're easy as hell to use (esp. no need for drivers)

- OSX is a very, very good OS

- they network super easy with other macs and Apple products like iPads/iPhones/aTV, which a HELL of a lot of people have these days

No one in the real world cares about specs and gaming capability any more when it comes to laptops; notice how half of those 10 laptops are ultrabooks? As long as it can run office programs and web browsers, it's satisfactory, and OSX is arguably superior for these applications. It's faster and more stable, as the quoted OP states. Simple things are what laptops are used for these days. People WILL the spend money on them because they really do 'just work'. The fact that a lot of you wouldn't spend the money on a MBP doesn't mean the rest of the laptop using population won't, and anyone who thinks Macbooks aren't good laptops hasn't used one. I have a Macbook Pro and a Lenovo X220, don't try to tell me I'm wrong.

excepting the screen and build quality, everything else is bullshit...

excepting the screen and build quality, everything else is bullshit...

That's an excellent first-ever post you've made there - care to elaborate instead of calling me out with nothing to back you up? Go on, you obviously have a point to make.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

That's an excellent first-ever post you've made there - care to elaborate instead of calling me out with nothing to back you up? Go on, you obviously have a point to make.

Easy with the hostility mate! I agree that the way he communicated his opposing views was totally uncalled for, but that doesn't warrant the "come at me bro" attitude from a senior member towards a first time poster.

I love my Mac, but even so, when i first read your post I couldn't help but think that it was a little wrong.

Firstly, very little of what you wrote had anything to do with the topic, but thats OK, just know that a mac user will always be preaching to uninterested folks, and for people who doesn't give a damn, that can be a little annoying.

Secondly, a lot of what you wrote aren't facts, it's opinions. It's not like OSX is vastly superior to Win7 (in a lot of cases, I as a OSX user find Win7 to be far better). Both are good OSes. Whats important here is that a lot comes down to personal preference and just having the right tool for the right job.