GTX Ray Tracing

Farm-Boy_7130
Go to solution Solved by Farm-Boy_7130,
2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Using dual GPUs if you have one and it works, then it's worth a try. but for gaming it's mostly dead and is going to scale worse than having a new card.

in some titles or applications it could do well.

I have a single GTX 980, I also have my 1660 Super. I unfortunately do not have any other cards, I can live without the ray tracing for the audio. 

Thank you all for your advice/assistance with this topic, I will now mark one of these replies as the answer.

I heard you can ray trace on two GTX Cards, The 1660 Super and the 1080. 

If I wanted to do this, How would I go about doing so?

Forza Horizon 5 will now support ray tracing for audio and some visual effects, I am running a 1660 Super and I can't actually buy an RTX card (or I would) and I really want to use the ray tracing features.

So it makes me ask the question:
1: Is it possible?
2: If so, How?

I hope somebody can answer some of these questions or maybe get featured in an ltt video if this gets enough attention. I've only seen/heard one or maybe two YouTubers talk about this feature, But never on how to go about using it. 

4 minutes ago, Farm-Boy_7130 said:

Forza Horizon 5 will now support ray tracing for audio and some visual effects, I am running a 1660 Super and I can't actually buy an RTX card (or I would) and I really want to use the ray tracing features.

I hope somebody can answer some of these questions or maybe get featured in an ltt video if this gets enough attention. I've only seen/heard one or maybe two YouTubers talk about this feature, But never on how to go about using it. 

ok first off i know what you are going through having two cards in the same system of the same manufacture but different models can be a nightmare

Just now, Captinjigglesworth said:

ok first off i know what you are going through having two cards in the same system of the same manufacture but different models can be a nightmare

That's not what they said. They said they have a 1660 Super. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

11 minutes ago, Farm-Boy_7130 said:

technically yes it would work, but it would have wierd tearing if a game has native support for that which is extremely rare other than that case, whichever card doesn't have a display output attached is just in a state of idle and taking up power, the system with the monitor plugged in is the main card i would recommend the 1660 and for the 1080 i would set it in the nvidia control panel to handle directx exclusively it does offer slightly better performance as it offloads to the idle card

Edit: Read post wrong disregard!

6 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That's not what they said. They said they have a 1660 Super. 

he also wants to use a 1080 in unison read the first line please!

Edit: Read post wrong disregard!

I did. Please reread the entire post yourself. You'll see the part where they clearly state that they have a 1660 Super. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

NO THATS NOT WHAT THAT MEANS.

You read it

There are two GTX cards that can ever do it

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Farm-Boy_7130 said:

Ah my apologies good sir, I must read more carefully next time!

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

NO THATS NOT WHAT THAT MEANS.

You read it

There are two GTX cards that can ever do it

1 minute ago, Captinjigglesworth said:

Ah my apologies good sir, I must read more carefully next time!

Apologies again I read the post wrong!

You can

You shouldnt

it wont be good

Its done through software, and makes teh pweformance worse than any oither thing you can do to your gpu

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 series and 16 series with more than 4GB VRAM support DirectX Raytracing, but not RTX. Whether you can use it depends on how the developers implemented it and also if they simply locked out all 10 and 16 series GPUs.

Dont expect solid answers when the game isnt even out

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

22 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

10 series and 16 series with more than 4GB VRAM support DirectX Raytracing, but not RTX. Whether you can use it depends on how the developers implemented it and also if they simply locked out all 10 and 16 series GPUs.

Dont expect solid answers when the game isnt even out

I'm not expecting solid answers.

Because it's an audio ray tracing effect I would *think* that it's less intensive on the gpu, But I'm no expert. I can live without the ray tracing in the game, With it release bein in under a month, I'm just really looking forward to having a new game to explore. The added ray tracing for audio allows the engine sounds (weather it be a v10, v12 or v6, doesn't really matter) to bounce off of objects, such as mountains, tunnels, etc. and I was going to get a 3060 but backed out after the price raised. I figured I would look into ray tracing on the GTX cards, but if it's not good for the card I do not want to cause any premature failure to the cards.

7 hours ago, Farm-Boy_7130 said:

I'm not expecting solid answers.

Because it's an audio ray tracing effect I would *think* that it's less intensive on the gpu, But I'm no expert. I can live without the ray tracing in the game, With it release bein in under a month, I'm just really looking forward to having a new game to explore. The added ray tracing for audio allows the engine sounds (weather it be a v10, v12 or v6, doesn't really matter) to bounce off of objects, such as mountains, tunnels, etc. and I was going to get a 3060 but backed out after the price raised. I figured I would look into ray tracing on the GTX cards, but if it's not good for the card I do not want to cause any premature failure to the cards.

Audio is also done on the rt cores so what I imagine is another good hit in performance and not at all close to what it is supposed to be like. Quake 2 is still the best example of forcing software ray tracing features in real time on a card without proper tech for it. It's basically a big pile of suck.

Best you can do is give it a shot but I don't expect much from it.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Audio is also done on the rt cores so what I imagine is another good hit in performance and not at all close to what it is supposed to be like. Quake 2 is still the best example of forcing software ray tracing features in real time on a card without proper tech for it. It's basically a big pile of suck.

Best you can do is give it a shot but I don't expect much from it.

Agreed, I've run Quake II RTX on an overclocked 1080TI SLI system and results are at best, semi-playable to annoying at 1080p. Even with my 3090, the drop in framerate between RTX on and off is quite significant (albeit I was running at 4k). The highest score I attained in Port Royal using the SLI'ed 1080TI's heavily overclocked and a 9900k @5GHz all cores was 4303 points - more than 10k short of my 3090 score at stock (using same CPU overclock).

you might be able to enable ray tracing, some through modding/changing config.

But GTX really is not great for ray tracing, and most of the time I would not consider those cards to be that great for it.

1080 or rather the 1080 ti could be a decent choice to test with some sort of "playable" performance.

Else an RTX card is just a lot better with their RT (ray tracing) focus, even if Nvidia wants to sell it more than it's worth.

Using dual GPUs if you have one and it works, then it's worth a try. but for gaming it's mostly dead and is going to scale worse than having a new card.

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

I have a single GTX 980, I also have my 1660 Super. I unfortunately do not have any other cards, I can live without the ray tracing for the audio. 

Thank you all for your advice/assistance with this topic, I will now mark one of these replies as the answer.