Gaming PC - Need Review. Some questions. And assumptions.

slowy

Budget (including currency): 5000CHF, "Unlimited", but I'm "reasonable" (good value for the price)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: e.g Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefield, and "casual" Software Development, watching movies / youtube, remote work from home.

Other details

Hi y'all. I have finally decided to upgrade my gaming pc. Currently running an i7-4820K with an 980 Ti, so it's been a while, and I'm relatively ignorant of current hardware.

My primary display is a 1440p 165Hz, my secondary a 1080p 120Hz (That I run on 60 Hz).

I'm looking for a configuration that's a good balance between thermal performance and noise. Silent when watching a movie, "reasonable" while gaming.

I don't "need" to run games on max quality, I prefer more FPS.

I won't build the PC myself, but my local parts dealer has quite a nice parts picker and a good reputation.

I'm an Intel-nvidia-Asus-"Fanboy" - for the lack of a better term.

Intel Core i7-11700K

I know, Intel's next gen is coming. This means new socket, new cooler, new board. I have been waiting for over a year now to upgrade. I think the base of my configuration and a graphics card upgrade in 1-2 years will get serve me well enough for at least the next 3-4 years, hopefully 5.

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Here I'm already not sure. I think I want to use an air cooler, I don't think the premium for a water cooler (+50% - 100% more expensive) will improve thermal and noise significantly? I think the main noise polluter will be the graphics card while gaming anyway?

(2x 16GB) - 3600MHz - CL16 - G.Skill Ripjaws V

Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi

I don't see any reason why I would want for instance the Maximus XIII Hero/Apex which is 40% more expensive?

Asus ROG Strix RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC V2

I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card later. I'm not paying 2.2k for a 3080. I even have a hard time spending 1k for a 3060, but I was one of the "prices will drop"-guys before the lock down happened. I was even thinking about getting a 2060, but I think the 3060 will serve me well enough for a while, and I've read 4xxx series will release in 2022, approx. reasonably priced in 2023 (says my inner fortune teller...)

I should be able to ugprade to a 4xxx without any problems?

m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro

4TB - HDD - Seagate BarraCuda

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Light Tempered Glass

Alright, here I'm lost, even though I watched way too many gamer nexus reviews. I think this case is a good balance between performance and noise?

Would replacing the stock fans with for instance some Be quiet! silent wings improve performance/noise noticeable? Should I add 1, 2, 3 additional fans?

If so, any recommendations for fans with good performance/noise balance?

850W - 80+ Gold - Seasonic Focus GX-850

All in all, it ends up at 3'000CHF, incl. assembly and shipping, 3 year warranty, 2 year pickup & return. Selecting same/similar parts is around 2'700CHF.

Where could I probably save some money, did I cheap out somewhere?

Thanks a lot!

12 minutes ago, slowy said:

I know, Intel's next gen is coming. This means new socket, new cooler, new board. I have been waiting for over a year now to upgrade. I think the base of my configuration and a graphics card upgrade in 1-2 years will get serve me well enough for at least the next 3-4 years, hopefully 5.

I know how youd feel, but with them being forsale nov 4th id wait the 2 weeks

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, slowy said:

You really should wait for the next gen if you're looking for long term.

For the same money you can get the 12600k with 10 cores and 16 threads, that's awesome.
I'll probably switch side when they got a big margin from Ryzen 5000.

21 minutes ago, slowy said:

m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro

4TB - HDD - Seagate BarraCuda

No need for 980 pro. 970 is good enough for 5 more years.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

24 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

know how youd feel, but with them being forsale nov 4th id wait the 2 weeks

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You really should wait for the next gen if you're looking for long term.

Things I didn't want to hear, because they're true 😛

I'll check with the dealer on Monday of actual availability of all the parts and make a decision based on that. I have the feeling that I need to wait at least another two months.

26 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

No need for 980 pro. 970 is good enough for 5 more years.

Thanks! From my experience as software developer, the hard drive is often the bottleneck for coding in larger projects. We were able to halve the build times when we ran the build on a decent nvme, instead of a slow ssd. I think for my case it's worth it.

40 minutes ago, slowy said:

Things I didn't want to hear, because they're true 😛

I'll check with the dealer on Monday of actual availability of all the parts and make a decision based on that. I have the feeling that I need to wait at least another two months.

11th gen was 20$ off in a week, 12 hopefully will have some launch stock

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler