Monitor issue-Could it be the GPU?

CRA5HMAN

Hello,

I am having an issue where my monitor doesn't always turn on at startup.  When I start the computer I always get the motherboard splash screen and the monitor's display port signal in the top right hand corner.  After the splash screen, it either starts up or the signal is lost and the display's "no signal detected and switching to power savings mode" graphic comes up.  When it happens, I shut down the computer and the monitor always starts on the second boot. Could it be the graphics card?

My specs are in my signature below.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B

46 minutes ago, CRA5HMAN said:

Hello,

I am having an issue where my monitor doesn't always turn on at startup.  When I start the computer I always get the motherboard splash screen and the monitor's display port signal in the top right hand corner.  After the splash screen, it either starts up or the signal is lost and the display's "no signal detected and switching to power savings mode" graphic comes up.  When it happens, I shut down the computer and the monitor always starts on the second boot. Could it be the graphics card?

My specs are in my signature below.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

People will likely want stats on the machine itself.  Every component in the machine or, if it’s an OEM pre-built or laptop, what model it is.   There is a vast range of possible things and some of them will have different possible issues.  Idle and load temps may also be wanted. There are machine specs in the sig, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that is the machine being referred to.

Assuming this is a not-that-old whitebox with adequate PSU, and no heat issue,  There still are a few things that could be more likely than GPU depending on several things.  One of which is exactly when it turns off. Very little is random with computers though pseudo random happens.  When someone say “randomly” it usually isn’t.  Not ruling out a video card problem though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

People will likely want stats on the machine itself.  Every component in the machine or, if it’s an OEM pre-built or laptop, what model it is.   There is a vast range of possible things and some of them will have different possible issues.  Idle and load temps may also be wanted. There are machine specs in the sig, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that is the machine being referred to.

Assuming this is a not-that-old whitebox with adequate PSU, and no heat issue,  There still are a few things that could be more likely than GPU depending on several things.  One of which is exactly when it turns off. Very little is random with computers though pseudo random happens.  When someone say “randomly” it usually isn’t.  Not ruling out a video card problem though.

Thanks for the feedback. The machine specs in my signature are the components in the system but I have made a complete list of every component below and made it as detailed as I could.  Thanks for pointing out to list everything.  As for when it exactly turns off, I don't believe I can offer more of a precise description than I did. When it happens, it loses the signal after the motherboard manufacturer's splash screen on boot up, in this case it is an MSI splash screen. It never happens after the computer is on or while playing a game etc, only on start up.  As far as my description of random, I will put it this way, it happens sometimes after 2 normal startups, sometimes after 3 and sometimes after 4 (in no particular order).  I should mention that I shut my computer down when not in use.  The temps are completely normal; at idle GPU is 33 C and the CPU is 31 C and after 1hr of gaming (my heaviest load scenario) the GPU is at 72 C and the CPU ranges between 40-52 C.

The computer is a custom build, here is a complete list of the components:

• 10700 CPU
  • MSI Z490 gaming edge motherboard
  • 32 Gigs of Gskill Sniper X DDR4 3200 RAM (F4-3200C16D-32GSXWB DDR4-3200 16GBx2, CL16-18-18-38)
  • EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW 3 GPU (driver 496.13)
  • LG 34GN 850 B monitor (with DP 1.4 cable)
  • SoundBlaster Z sound card
  • NZXT Kraken x53 AIO
  • EVGA P2 750w PSU
  • HP SSD EX920 1TB (m.2 drive with Windows 10 home, 10.0.19043 Build 19043 installed)
  •  WD 1TB HD (WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0)
  • Intel 240 GB SSD (INTEL SSDSC2BP240G4)
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Crucial MX 500 1 TB SSD (CT1000MX500SSD1)

Thanks again for the feedback and hopefully the added information might help diagnose the issue.

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B

4 hours ago, CRA5HMAN said:

Thanks for the feedback. The machine specs in my signature are the components in the system but I have made a complete list of every component below and made it as detailed as I could.  Thanks for pointing out to list everything.  As for when it exactly turns off, I don't believe I can offer more of a precise description than I did. When it happens, it loses the signal after the motherboard manufacturer's splash screen on boot up, in this case it is an MSI splash screen. It never happens after the computer is on or while playing a game etc, only on start up.  As far as my description of random, I will put it this way, it happens sometimes after 2 normal startups, sometimes after 3 and sometimes after 4 (in no particular order).  I should mention that I shut my computer down when not in use.  The temps are completely normal; at idle GPU is 33 C and the CPU is 31 C and after 1hr of gaming (my heaviest load scenario) the GPU is at 72 C and the CPU ranges between 40-52 C.

The computer is a custom build, here is a complete list of the components:

• 10700 CPU
  • MSI Z490 gaming edge motherboard
  • 32 Gigs of Gskill Sniper X DDR4 3200 RAM (F4-3200C16D-32GSXWB DDR4-3200 16GBx2, CL16-18-18-38)
  • EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW 3 GPU (driver 496.13)
  • LG 34GN 850 B monitor (with DP 1.4 cable)
  • SoundBlaster Z sound card
  • NZXT Kraken x53 AIO
  • EVGA P2 750w PSU
  • HP SSD EX920 1TB (m.2 drive with Windows 10 home, 10.0.19043 Build 19043 installed)
  •  WD 1TB HD (WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0)
  • Intel 240 GB SSD (INTEL SSDSC2BP240G4)
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Crucial MX 500 1 TB SSD (CT1000MX500SSD1)

Thanks again for the feedback and hopefully the added information might help diagnose the issue.

It may vary depending on whether the PC boots or just unhibernates.  When it is a full boot instead of a hibernate it can take a good deal longer.   Even hardware stuff that only sometimes works isn’t random off there is a cracked solder joint somewhere and thermal expansion effectively closes an electrical connection.  It’s a really rare thing though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.