Advice needed: €350 for RTX 2060S ór Strix 1080 TI

CaptainChaos025

I have the possibility to buy second hand of my friends either a RTX 2060 Super ór a Asus Strix GTX 1080TI, but i am not sure which would be better for my system and usecase. I would likely not make use of the Raytracing function of the 2060 if i went for that, sincei believe it works better on the higher end cards, but im not sure if its DLSS 2.0 would make it better

I mainly play Racing sims (Assetto Corsa, PCARS 2, iRacing) and since recently some VR games. i also often work on making liveries using GIMP and social media posts.

Both cards are in great condition and work as normal.

I have done some research online to see which one is better overall, which was the 1080TI. But i dont know what card could make the most with my current CPU.

My main screen is 1440P 144Hz
VR Headset is Oculus Rift S

Quick details of my system:
i5 10400F (might upgrade soon)
16GB HyperX 3200MHz

MSI B460M BAZOOKA (might upgrade soon due to PCH limit)
(Currently) Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce

1080 Ti is certainly more power for gaming when RT is not used, so that would be the logical choice if natively rendered performance is considered. You wont really need DLSS with that much power as it'll easily handle 1440p natively. Double check your PSU is good enough for it since it is a 250W class card, maybe a bit higher depending on factory OC.

Only reason for considering the 2060S at all would be if you did care about RT although performance will not be great, or if you really wanted a lower power consumption card.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

1080 Ti is certainly more power for gaming when RT is not used, so that would be the logical choice if natively rendered performance is considered. You wont really need DLSS with that much power as it'll easily handle 1440p natively. Double check your PSU is good enough for it since it is a 250W class card, maybe a bit higher depending on factory OC.

Only reason for considering the 2060S at all would be if you did care about RT although performance will not be great, or if you really wanted a lower power consumption card.

ive got a 650W Seasonic Focus PX-650 80+ Platinum, and since my cpu and other devices dont draw that much power i think it should handle that fine

RTX 2060 is comparable to 1070 Ti which means 1080 Ti is more powerful.

I'd avoid Strix 1xxx models but good luck with it.

Check the fans rotating once in a while..

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.