3200mhz RAM only reads at 2400mhz.

I am running 32gb of 3200mhz TeamGroup Vulcan Z ram in my PC. I have the XMP profile enabled for 3200mhz and windows still only uses it at 2400mhz. Any ideas how to remedy this?

Try setting the RAM settings manually in the motherboard, it could be your motherboard just has a borked XMP BIOS settings.

What are the rest of your specs btw?

3 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I am running 32gb of 3200mhz TeamGroup Vulcan Z ram in my PC. I have the XMP profile enabled for 3200mhz and windows still only uses it at 2400mhz. Any ideas how to remedy this?

Don't listen to task manager and verify the speed with CPU-Z or HWiNFO.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

Agreed, I've seen task manager say that I have a CPU running at 28GHz. My CPU was, in fact, not running at 28GHz.

7 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Here’s what I get with cpu z. 

574D2BED-76BA-42AC-A5B1-FE6C219B5100.jpeg

7 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Here’s what I get with cpu z.

That confirms that the memory is running at 2400 MHz. This means that the XMP profile isn't being set, or is being undone at boot.

Please provide more details (CPU, Motherboard, Ram P/N) and verify the XMP is being enabled.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

That confirms that the memory is running at 2400 MHz. This means that the XMP profile isn't being set, or is being undone at boot.

Please provide more details (CPU, Motherboard, Ram P/N) and verify the XMP is being enabled.

Asrock B450 Pro motherboard

32gb of TeamGroup Vulcan Z 3200mhz ram

Ryzen 5 2600 CPU

F4D87C1B-8C73-4031-AC5F-C4D7CCD9F919.jpeg

Gotta change the top one. Says overclock mode....

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Gotta change the top one. Says overclock mode....

Changed that to manual and still the same. Computer rebooted like 3 times after changing that setting and doing a save and exit in the BIOs. 

9 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Changed that to manual and still the same. Computer rebooted like 3 times after changing that setting and doing a save and exit in the BIOs. 

You can change the retry count in bios. 

It's failing to post the 3200mt/s frequency and reverting to something that posts and stable is what it sounds like. 

Can you leave XMP enabled, but manually set 2667mt/s? Will it post or retry count fail 3 times?

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can change the retry count in bios. 

It's failing to post the 3200mt/s frequency and reverting to something that posts and stable is what it sounds like. 

Can you leave XMP enabled, but manually set 2667mt/s? Will it post or retry count fail 3 times?

I don’t know how to manually change anything. I’m honestly intimidated with bios tweaking. Should I try setting it to 3000mhz in the xmp settings and see if that works?  If it makes any difference, I have 4x 8gb memory modules. When I was running just 2x 8gb, it had no issue with running at 3200mhz. 

Just now, HesCalledTheStig said:

I don’t know how to manually change anything. I’m honestly intimidated with bios tweaking. Should I try setting it to 3000mhz in the xmp settings and see if that works?  If it makes any difference, I have 4x 8gb memory modules. When I was running just 2x 8gb, it had no issue with running at 3200mhz. 

You already have XMP2 enabled.... just below it, says DRAM speed. Change that to 2667mhz. (1333). That's all you need to do. 

F10, save the settings and let me know if it posts up.

__

Yes adding the extra kit will greatly lower the odds (in some cases) of running the memory kits rated speed. It's not the memory's fault, but the processor's memory controller just doesn't like it. Not a big deal, you sacrifice a little performance to have the extra memory you need assuming you frequently got windows "memory low" warnings. Other wise, you're better off running just the original set at it's rated speeds. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You already have XMP2 enabled.... just below it, says DRAM speed. Change that to 2667mhz. (1333). That's all you need to do. 

F10, save the settings and let me know if it posts up.

__

Yes adding the extra kit will greatly lower the odds (in some cases) of running the memory kits rated speed. It's not the memory's fault, but the processor's memory controller just doesn't like it. Not a big deal, you sacrifice a little performance to have the extra memory you need assuming you frequently got windows "memory low" warnings. Other wise, you're better off running just the original set at it's rated speeds. 

How much gaming performance loss would there be if I was stuck at 2400mhz rather than 3400mhz?  Am I looking at a few FPS or a big FPS hit?  I upped the ram to help with video editing. 

Just now, HesCalledTheStig said:

How much gaming performance loss would there be if I was stuck at 2400mhz rather than 3400mhz?  Am I looking at a few FPS or a big FPS hit?  I upped the ram to help with video editing. 

With your 2600, probably a good 5% give or take depending on game, cpu frequency, application, ect ect.

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

With your 2600, probably a good 5% give or take depending on game, cpu frequency, application, ect ect.

I was able to bump it to 3000mhz. I’ll continue to increase the speed slowly until it resets. Anything has to be better than 2400mhz. 

Just an update on this, in case it can help someone else out. I yanked 16gb of the 32gb out of the PC and it immediately took the 3200mhz xmp profile with no issues. Not sure why it would be like that but I’m going to go with it until I absolutely need 32gb.