PC turns on without pressing power button.

Tech Reprise

Hi,

I always had a habit of pressing the PC power button after I shut off my UPS to disconnect mains power to PSU to supposedly drain residual power from mobo (don't know who put that idea in my head).

Now I notice some weird things few days back.

If I just press the power button 2-3 times nothing happens when I switch on PC next time but if I long press the PC power button for 5-6sec then the next time I switch on the mains the PC starts on automatically without me pressing power button. Is this any normal behaviour or is this happening because of my very great idea of draining residual power from Motherboard. And yes power on after AC loss is off in Bios.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700X Stock
  • B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev1.2
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz 32gb (8gb x4)
  • MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Kingston A2000 250gb + WD Blue 1tb HDD, Sn550 1tb + MX500 1000gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
  • Benq Mobiuz EX2510 144Hz

42 minutes ago, R2G_RR94 said:

Hi,

I always had a habit of pressing the PC power button after I shut off my UPS to disconnect mains power to PSU to supposedly drain residual power from mobo (don't know who put that idea in my head).

Now I notice some weird things few days back.

If I just press the power button 2-3 times nothing happens when I switch on PC next time but if I long press the PC power button for 5-6sec then the next time I switch on the mains the PC starts on automatically without me pressing power button. Is this any normal behaviour or is this happening because of my very great idea of draining residual power from Motherboard. And yes power on after AC loss is off in Bios.

is the rear io seated correctly?

22 minutes ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

is the rear io seated correctly?

Yes. Everything is seated correctly. Rechecked all connections. Updated bios few days back though but that shouldn't cause the issue I guess.

• MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G

Just now, R2G_RR94 said:

Yes. Everything is seated correctly. Rechecked all connections. Updated bios few days back though but that shouldn't cause the issue I guess.

have you done any major overclocking?

2 hours ago, R2G_RR94 said:

to supposedly drain residual power from mobo (don't know who put that idea in my head).

This is a very bad idea because that and cutting the board from power will drain the cmos battery very quickly... thats probably what happened,  get a new battery...

Also i understand you're concerned about... some kind of phantom power*...? But turning off the pc in this way regularly is also pretty bad, probably due to high inrush currents or similar, definitely try to avoid that if possible.  Generally putting electronics into standby mode instead of cutting them off completely is better for longevity (same for monitors etc)

*edit: if thats actually a problem where you live then disregard,  where i live we very rarely get brownouts, even rarer blackouts so this really isn't a concern,  but at least don't drain the motherboard,  that really doesn't make any sense and it kills the battery. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

have you done any major overclocking?

No, it just happens when I long press the power button when PC is off.

• MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G

8 minutes ago, R2G_RR94 said:

No, it just happens when I long press the power button when PC is off.

well, idk, i recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer, or i think your cmos battery is dead, so get a new battery and if that does work, try to not drain your residual or disconnect it from the motherboards power that often

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is a very bad idea because that and cutting the board from power will drain the cmos battery very quickly... thats probably what happened,  get a new battery...

Also i understand you're concerned about... some kind of phantom power*...? But turning off the pc in this way regularly is also pretty bad, probably due to high inrush currents or similar, definitely try to avoid that if possible.  Generally putting electronics into standby mode instead of cutting them off completely is better for longevity (same for monitors etc)

*edit: if thats actually a problem where you live then disregard,  where i live we very rarely get brownouts, even rarer blackouts so this really isn't a concern,  but at least don't drain the motherboard,  that really doesn't make any sense and it kills the battery. 

Maybe you are right. I removed the cmos battery and wiped it and checked its voltage which is 3.078V so it should be okay for now. I will not do that drain thingy after PC is turned off lol.

• MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G