NVME Raid on new motherboard

LarsChristian

Hi

I'm planning buying a motherboard that have two m2 slots with PCIe 4.0

I see that one slot uses lanes from the chipset and one from cpu.
I have two questions:
Is it possible to run RAID 0 on two NVMe PCIe 4.0 drives on a motherboard like this? And if so, do you get any better read/write speeds?
The motherboard I'm thinking buying is Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro or MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK

Do you want this raid to be bootable? Id try to use software raid if you can as motherboard raid kinda sucks.

Why do you want faster speeds? Almost all uses cases won't use the extra speed.

Id really suggest just getting a single drive here

Is it possible? yes.

Extra performance ? no.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, LarsChristian said:

Hi

I'm planning buying a motherboard that have two m2 slots with PCIe 4.0

I see that one slot uses lanes from the chipset and one from cpu.
I have two questions:
Is it possible to run RAID 0 on two NVMe PCIe 4.0 drives on a motherboard like this? And if so, do you get any better read/write speeds?
The motherboard I'm thinking buying is Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro or MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK

Just get a single drive there is literally nothing that would require such speeds on a consumer desktop. That and raid 0 isn't a magic performance multiplier often certain tasks perform worse due to how it is.

Quite possible, I am doing it on a B450. Do I get better speeds? only sequential on paper I think (benchmark). I only do it to have two drives as one volume ...and because I can but mostly the first.

So you can do this but it won't double your performance. You can also get a larger drive (costs the same) or if a larger drive is too expensive you can do what I did. First get one and then another later on. I'm happy with my RAID though, it's not that it's just not giving any performance boost. At least not that can be noticed.

Thanks for answering my question 🙂

I know you dont get double the speed, Just wondering if its anything better.