HOT CPU - Please Help

Georgeagea

So I was on a GTX1080, 3 fans. One fan was dead, and played on the GPU for a year on 2 fans. It was fine, temps were reaching 82deg max. Then another fan died,

So, I've recently changed GPU to a RTX3060, 2 fans.

In my follow-up monitoring of temps, I noticed the GPU is understandably much cooler and barely reaches 75deg C under heavy load.

However, to my surprise, I noticed the CPU is reaching 95deg C.

That's a i7 7700 and I have a custom air cooler (Thermaltake rgb ring silent 12).

I also have a ramped up custom fan curve in the bios. So it shouldn't be that hot.

I went and bought a new tube of thermal paste the Grizzly Aeronaut. It's a good paste, not the best.

Applied it (X shape application), the temps still goes up to 90deg C.

I went and bought the premium Grizzly Kryonaut which is designed for high end CPUs and/or extreme overclocking.

Applied it (X shape application), the temps still went up to 89deg C.

It should be noted that I am using the HWMonitor CPUID software. I keep it open to monitor everything. I go load many games and play and monitor temps on the window on another monitor.

The max of 89deg C was probably a spike during loading or many tasks.

During gaming, I didn't see it go above 81deg.

I do still think though that those are very high temps for a regular i7 7700 (non K), a custom cooler and a ramped up CPU fan curve.

The case has 3 input fans and 1 exhaust fans. The case is Xigmatec Venom X.

(Why did I tell you about the GPU you might be thinking. Well call me crazy, but I was asking myself if the older gpu running at near constant 80deg, and now the new gpu running at around 65 to 70deg, so I was asking myself if that could affect the cpu temps since the gpu is exhausting most of the temps now unlike the old gpu, so maybe that could make the cpu hotter since they are pretty close one to the other??)

Pic attached showing the installation of the components in my case (open case during thermal paste application).

IMG_20211019_145418.jpg

if i may, a lot of gaming temps could be due to the GPU being less of a bottleneck, so the CPU has to work harder, the 3060 is a pretty cool card so its likely not that, but it may be worth it to switch to the old gpu and see if that helps, could just be an underpowered cooler, old intel CPUs (and new ones for that matter) arent super cool running

What case do you have? If you have one with awful airflow, it could cause your CPU to run very hot. That said, while it's definintely hot for a 7700, it's not as hot as you might think, and as long as you're not getting above 100, you're fine. It's possible that the cooler and/or the cpu heat spreader aren't very flat, so there's a pretty big gap that the thermal paste needs to fill, but I wouldn't say that's likely. I'd probably just live with the temps

8 minutes ago, Georgeagea said:

So I was on a GTX1080, 3 fans. One fan was dead, and played on the GPU for a year on 2 fans. It was fine, temps were reaching 82deg max. Then another fan died,

So, I've recently changed GPU to a RTX3060, 2 fans.

In my follow-up monitoring of temps, I noticed the GPU is understandably much cooler and barely reaches 75deg C under heavy load.

However, to my surprise, I noticed the CPU is reaching 95deg C.

That's a i7 7700 and I have a custom air cooler (Thermaltake rgb ring silent 12).

I also have a ramped up custom fan curve in the bios. So it shouldn't be that hot.

I went and bought a new tube of thermal paste the Grizzly Aeronaut. It's a good paste, not the best.

Applied it (X shape application), the temps still goes up to 90deg C.

I went and bought the premium Grizzly Kryonaut which is designed for high end CPUs and/or extreme overclocking.

Applied it (X shape application), the temps still went up to 89deg C.

It should be noted that I am using the HWMonitor CPUID software. I keep it open to monitor everything. I go load many games and play and monitor temps on the window on another monitor.

The max of 89deg C was probably a spike during loading or many tasks.

During gaming, I didn't see it go above 81deg.

I do still think though that those are very high temps for a regular i7 7700 (non K), a custom cooler and a ramped up CPU fan curve.

The case has 3 input fans and 1 exhaust fans. The case is Xigmatec  gaming X.

(Why did I tell you about the GPU you might be thinking. Well call me crazy, but I was asking myself if the older gpu running at near constant 80deg, and now the new gpu running at around 65 to 70deg, so I was asking myself if that could affect the cpu temps since the gpu is exhausting most of the temps now unlike the old gpu, so maybe that could make the cpu hotter since they are pretty close one to the other??)

Pic attached showing the installation of the components in my case (open case during thermal paste application).

IMG_20211019_145418.jpg

I’d guess you need more exhaust…. Your pumping a lot of heat into the case, take the top fan cover off (looks like it has a cover?) and let air flow out of that. May help. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What case do you have? If you have one with awful airflow, it could cause your CPU to run very hot. That said, while it's definintely hot for a 7700, it's not as hot as you might think, and as long as you're not getting above 100, you're fine. It's possible that the cooler and/or the cpu heat spreader aren't very flat, so there's a pretty big gap that the thermal paste needs to fill, but I wouldn't say that's likely. I'd probably just live with the temps

Yeah I have the Xigmatek Venom X. Dunno if it's good or bad but seems fine to me.

Yeah I can live with those temps but it's a bit annoying knowing that I did the best I could (maybe except for using a watercooler 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Also if you have 3 intake 1 exhaust… possibly move one of the intakes to the top rear and make it an exhaust. You need to get that hot air out of the case.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, CMDCDY said:

if i may, a lot of gaming temps could be due to the GPU being less of a bottleneck, so the CPU has to work harder, the 3060 is a pretty cool card so its likely not that, but it may be worth it to switch to the old gpu and see if that helps, could just be an underpowered cooler, old intel CPUs (and new ones for that matter) arent super cool running

Yeah I dunno really. I sold my old GPU. (You know prices nowadays, so I was really fed up with my old gpu, sold it, added more and got the 3060.

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Also if you have 3 intake 1 exhaust… possibly move one of the intakes to the top rear and make it an exhaust. You need to get that hot air out of the case.

I do understand what you're saying man, but it's what the case comes with/like. I'm not advanced so I dunno how to change fans locations but I can look it up.

From what I've read on many websites, intake should be higher than exhaust to keep a positive pressure inside the case and not allow dust or anything inside.

I will remove the upper honeycomb-like top cover too 👍🏻

The cooler should be plenty for cooling the 7700. What rpm is the cooler and rear exhaust fan running at under load? 

Make sure that the cooler is fully tightened gradually and evenly in an X-pattern. What's the thermal paste spread look like? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The cooler should be plenty for cooling the 7700. What rpm is the cooler and rear exhaust fan running at under load? 

Make sure that the cooler is fully tightened gradually and evenly in an X-pattern. What's the thermal paste spread look like? 

Thanks man for the reply.

The cpu fan rpm seems to reach around 1600rpm or a bit more.

As for the case fans, I have zero idea on how to check at what speed they are working, to be honest. Can you help with that? I think those are the default Xigmatek fans they come with the case.

As for the thermal paste, from what I've seen on a popular youtube video that tested many spreadings, the X shape spreading seems to be the best, so that's what I adopted.

Here's a picture of the readings after a couple of games tested.

IMG_20211019_160705.jpg

34 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Is it a 7700K with some crazy high voltage OC?

It's the regular 7700 with no OC of any sort.

5 hours ago, Georgeagea said:

The cpu fan rpm seems to reach around 1600rpm or a bit more.

As for the case fans, I have zero idea on how to check at what speed they are working, to be honest. Can you help with that? I think those are the default Xigmatek fans they come with the case.

As for the thermal paste, from what I've seen on a popular youtube video that tested many spreadings, the X shape spreading seems to be the best, so that's what I adopted.

Can you follow the fan cable and see what header it's plugged into?

What's the core voltage at under load? Are you using default motherboard settings?

By thermal paste spread, I mean what the paste looks like after the cooler is removed. 

Good spread should show that there was good coverage and that the cooler base was making full contact with the cpu. Like this: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/thermal-compound-guide/

08-1030x344.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.