Smart LEDs for Home that don't require excess permissions?

N3kkun

Hi,

I am in the market for Smart LED Light Bulbs but the problem is that all of them require an app that needs an excessive amount of permissions.

Needs:
On/Off function
Color changing
Dimming (optional)

Everything else such as remotely turn lights off, "dance" to music, voice control, etc, is just fluff that I do not need.

Excess permission example:

Spoiler
This app has access to:
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rwPhotos/Media/Files
  • access USB storage filesystem
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20-rwMicrophone
  • record audio
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rwStorage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rwContacts
  • read your contacts
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rwPhone
  • directly call phone numbers
  • read phone status and identity
  • read call log
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rwLocation
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • approximate location (network-based)
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rwCamera
  • take pictures and videos
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rwDevice ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20-rwWi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
T0FSi5cHSE6ZmXMZAv0tidh8XAQWi7_WqbhtZ1XfNYhLJyOfudKVtiySoaBhBku4bzpRZTnddzjL1A-D=s20-rwSMS
  • receive text messages (SMS)
  • read your text messages (SMS or MMS)
BAH0TYCVcT4bH2ErsHtCEbO-1Tr5O5Hjwst6AFghZQt5pI8NkfonAsmYfnvj939aqSVtbuM81B38AB0GYQ=s20-rwDevice & app history
  • retrieve running apps

Other
  • get current app info
  • interact across users
  • full license to interact across users
  • transmit infrared
  • modify secure system settings
  • receive data from Internet
  • control flashlight
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • change your audio settings
  • draw over other apps
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • run at startup
  • disable your screen lock
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • allow Wi-Fi Multicast reception
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • control vibration
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • reorder running apps
  • change network connectivity
  • use accounts on the device

Are there any bulbs out there that require the minimum or am I dreaming?

I am fine with buying a hub if that means permissions reduced significantly if not eliminated.

Thanks for any replies!

1 hour ago, N3kkun said:

all of them require an app that needs an excessive amount of permissions.

Are you worried about privacy or something?

Dont bother worrying about privacy if you still use google and other stuff like that tbh, personally im only half serious so i tape the front camera of my phone and avoid google, not go all the way and just full lockdown with tor or some sht like that, if you overworry about privacy you are just comprimising yourself (something ive learnd myself), sometimes its just counterproductive anyways so you are just inconveniencing yourself + stuff like googe still have full access over your phone

Also cant you just deny them permissions via whatever permission manager your phone has? I also suggest getting norootfirewall, works really well for blocking unwanted apps, for me its just the preinstalled chinese bloatware that keeps phoning to alibaba for some reason

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are you worried about privacy or something?

Dont bother worrying about privacy if you still use google and other stuff like that tbh, personally im only half serious so i tape the front camera of my phone and avoid google, not go all the way and just full lockdown with tor or some sht like that, if you overworry about privacy you are just comprimising yourself (something ive learnd myself), sometimes its just counterproductive anyways so you are just inconveniencing yourself + stuff like googe still have full access over your phone

Also cant you just deny them permissions via whatever permission manager your phone has? I also suggest getting norootfirewall, works really well for blocking unwanted apps, for me its just the preinstalled chinese bloatware that keeps phoning to alibaba for some reason

This "you already lost" mentality is not right imo. It's never too late to start worrying about who has your data or online security in general.

One example:

There were flashlight apps that scanned your phone for sellable data. That was before every phone had a flashlight function built-in and where you only had to give it permission while installing. Most people didn't think about it and just hit "accept all".

An RGB control app simply shouldn't need access to this stuff OP mentioned. Did you even read what the app calls for?

Among other things: Read your contact info, call info, record audio, etc.

Just WTF?!

Sorry the best tip i can give you is to buy a NON-SMART RGB bulb. There are ones that can be controlled with a hardware switch or remote.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Sorry the best tip i can give you is to buy a NON-SMART RGB bulb. There are ones that can be controlled with a hardware switch or remote.

Yep

Unless you wanna go diy and spend a sht ton of time, going non smart is your best option

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

This "you already lost" mentality is not right imo. It's never too late to start worrying about who has your data or online security in general.

It was more of a "if you are still exposing your data then dont bother trying to cover it up in 1 place but not the other" mentality, tbh i do privacy for peace of mind so i focused it more on the search engine, limiting permissions, and firewalling sector

I still need to use google cause games and prob because i linked my school stuff to it ;-; but as long as they dont have my search history and give me a decent amount of convenience then im cool with it (though ill look into other solutions like 3 phones for 3 diff layers of security)

I have a lot of RGB (and non RGB LED) in my house, and it's all controlled off the non-smart remotes that were bundled with the product.  I'd look at either a similar style of remote operated product, or some kind of hard-wiring that you can toggle on/off (worst case, an outlet that has a power switch).

p.s.

Don't go for bulbs.  Go for fixtures.  Bulbs are just a half-cocked replacement for incandescents.  LED's can offer so much more.  (Eg. Vonn Lighting).