Laptop makes beeping sound when plugging/unplugging charger

Chaffy
Go to solution Solved by Prodigy_Smit,
2 minutes ago, Chaffy said:

Perhaps reading my post in full detail would also have lead you to assume this was not a manufacturer thing, as was my thought. 

I should have addressed this in my first post my bad. My best guess is that some Acer software or driver update occurred over night which cause the beep to begin. 

3 minutes ago, Chaffy said:

It's an Acer-specific thing I suppose.

It is an Acer specific thing although I am not sure why they would do it with a beep as opposed to having a prompt display on screen but I assume that is so that the user knows it works when the display is off or the laptop is in sleep.

Hi all,

I just bought a new laptop yesterday at Micro Center, the Acer Predator Helios 300, 2021 version (with i7-11800H and RTX 3060.) Whenever I plug or unplug the charger, the laptop makes a beeping sound from the speakers. It sounds like a short BIOS beep code, coming out of the laptop's speakers (I don't believe this laptop has a speaker meant for BIOS beep codes specifically; I don't see a system speaker in Device Manager.) The only way to stop this sound is to mute my speakers, which obviously isn't acceptable. Everything I've read online leads to potential circuitry issues, but the laptop works just fine on battery, and on charger.

I'm curious to know what is causing this. This issue was not present yesterday when I got it, and I don't believe I've bent the charging cable too much to cause this kind of issue. I've tried the following things:

- Restarted and shut down laptop

- Checked for and installed Windows updates

- Checked speaker and battery drivers

No change for any of these. Again, it doesn't seem to be affecting performance, as the laptop functions perfectly fine on and off battery power. I just would like to know early on if I need to take it back or submit a warranty claim with Acer. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks! 

EDIT: I downloaded HWinfo64, and can confirm based on it as well as Windows that the device is charging just fine. 

Edited by Chaffy
Edit listed

For a quick update, I downloaded HWinfo64, and can confirm based on it as well as Windows that the device is charging just fine. 

It is a windows 10 feature. It is intended to occur to ensure the charger is properly connected. 

<removed by staff>

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/604675/beep-when-laptop-is-plugged-in-or-when-charger-is-removed

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

16 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

It is a windows 10 feature. It is intended to occur to ensure the charger is properly connected. 

Also you clearly did not do any worth while research because a 2 second google search shows me this https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/604675/beep-when-laptop-is-plugged-in-or-when-charger-is-removed

I'm glad that post showed up for you, as I did not see that one come up in my Google search, but maybe I used bad wording. Below is a quote from my original post: 

1 hour ago, Chaffy said:

This issue was not present yesterday when I got it

Perhaps reading my post in full detail would also have lead you to assume this was not a manufacturer thing, as was my thought. 

I've worked with hundreds of laptops at this point, several different brands, and never ran into this. It's an Acer-specific thing I suppose.

Thank you for your input! 

2 minutes ago, Chaffy said:

I should have addressed this in my first post my bad. My best guess is that some Acer software or driver update occurred over night which cause the beep to begin. 

3 minutes ago, Chaffy said:

It's an Acer-specific thing I suppose.

It is an Acer specific thing although I am not sure why they would do it with a beep as opposed to having a prompt display on screen but I assume that is so that the user knows it works when the display is off or the laptop is in sleep.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

No worries! Yeah I'm not quite sure what's going on, it'd definitely be nice if it were a prompt rather than a beep. The only way to get rid of it is to mute speakers.

I only installed Steam, Discord, Spotify, and HWinfo yesterday, and none of those have caused issues like this in the past. I may try a re-image just to see what happens. Thanks again! 

• 4 weeks later...

I owned a Acer swift 3 before and now the predator helios 300 RTX 3060 one. Both of them made a beep sound while plugging in or out power, so I guess its just a Acer thing!!