DIY outdoor monitors

junaidd007

I have a video suggestion. I saw this video by DIY Perks on YouTube where he built an extra bright TV for cheap. I suggest that Linus should make an extra bright gaming monitor for the outside of his house.

Linus bought so many machines but they aren't being used at all. I miss the old Linus where he water cooled using an AC unit & much more. He at least did diy back then. 

Doesn't even need to make that stuff. You can buy normal bright lcd tvs (oled would be very bad for this) and it will work.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Doesn't even need to make that stuff. You can buy normal bright lcd tvs (oled would be very bad for this) and it will work.

And which TVs are they? 

Just now, junaidd007 said:

And which TVs are they? 

For outdoor viewing in full sun all you need is about 400-500 nits brightness so like basically all tvs above 1000$ kinda.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For outdoor viewing in full sun all you need is about 400-500 nits brightness so like basically all tvs above 1000$ kinda.

Well that's where you are wrong. I can barely see my phone (430 nits) in the sunlight. If you live in the UK, then 'full sun' might be different for you.

Watch the video to understand 

22 minutes ago, junaidd007 said:

Well that's where you are wrong. I can barely see my phone (430 nits) in the sunlight. If you live in the UK, then 'full sun' might be different for you.

Watch the video to understand 

I watched it. I know sunlight intensity is different depending on where you live on earth. It also depends on how well your screen absorbs light and prevents reflection as I did notice a MASSIVE difference for me on my current phone and my older pixel which was just flat out brighter but my current xiaomi absorbs light a lot better thus looking brighter when it's not.

As for the video. Again don't see a point 2000 nit brightness is totally doable. But like also who in their right mind is going to put a tv in the wide open? People that do do this have it under a small roof and that bit of shade does A TON for visibility.

So I get the mod but who would even do this do begin with? A gust of wind and the tv is knocked over. Too much sun for a month or 2 and that screen is cooked. This stuff is not uv resistant so if you want to do this you basically HAVE to put it in a shaded area.

Let alone you still need to protect this thing from the elements too. Which is a whole other task.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:28 PM, jaslion said:

I watched it. I know sunlight intensity is different depending on where you live on earth. It also depends on how well your screen absorbs light and prevents reflection as I did notice a MASSIVE difference for me on my current phone and my older pixel which was just flat out brighter but my current xiaomi absorbs light a lot better thus looking brighter when it's not.

As for the video. Again don't see a point 2000 nit brightness is totally doable. But like also who in their right mind is going to put a tv in the wide open? People that do do this have it under a small roof and that bit of shade does A TON for visibility.

So I get the mod but who would even do this do begin with? A gust of wind and the tv is knocked over. Too much sun for a month or 2 and that screen is cooked. This stuff is not uv resistant so if you want to do this you basically HAVE to put it in a shaded area.

Let alone you still need to protect this thing from the elements too. Which is a whole other task.

While I somewhat agree with you, but who doesn't want to see Linus build overkill stuff like he always does. 

It would be a nice project ..however .. and i say this without harmful intent... LTT doesnt have a good track record of being able to pull of builds like this without going very janky.

it would be a nice change to see LTT do this and have results that look more professional than in the linked vid, as they should due to their large workshop, connections to call on, and manpower.

I could see them doing this and incorporating a whole PC (watercooled ofc), effectively making a large All-in-one for use outside.

Again i think its an excellent idea for a project. But i have reservation on whether LTT has the time and/or ability to do it justice.

As for the debate about brightness, u'd be surprised how bright u need to get for a TV to be viewable in direct sunlight. I cant recall the exact video however it did show a handheld luminance tester being used on everyday objects like grass, flowers, a door handle etc, all outside, and the numbers were way higher than u'd expect, 4000nits+ iirc.

#nopoliticsintended

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, SolarNova said:

It would be a nice project ..however .. and i say this without harmful intent... LTT doesnt have a good track record of being able to pull of builds like this without going very janky.

it would be a nice change to see LTT do this and have results that look more professional than in the linked vid, as they should due to their large workshop, connections to call on, and manpower.

I could see them doing this and incorporating a whole PC (watercooled ofc), effectively making a large All-in-one for use outside.

Again i think its an excellent idea for a project. But i have reservation on whether LTT has the time and/or ability to do it justice.

As for the debate about brightness, u'd be surprised how bright u need to get for a TV to be viewable in direct sunlight. I cant recall the exact video however it did show a handheld luminance tester being used on everyday objects like grass, flowers, a door handle etc, all outside, and the numbers were way higher than u'd expect, 4000nits+ iirc.

#nopoliticsintended

It's that jankiness that I want more off. But they really need to use that workshop. They still make videos about mini PC cases and complain about it being bad when they already got the machines to build one themselves. I liked the recent vid where they 3d printed their own case. Personally I like watching more of their own videos than product reviews.