For some reason I am only getting up to 400 Mbps according to task manager through my ethernet cable when I have up to 900 Mbps available.

farmerbrown123

For some reason I am only getting up to 400 Mbps according to task manager through my ethernet cable when I have up to 900 Mbps available. According to task manager I only end up using up to around 45 percent of network. Why?

3 minutes ago, farmerbrown123 said:

For some reason I am only getting up to 400 Mbps according to task manager through my ethernet cable when I have up to 900 Mbps available. According to task manager I only end up using up to around 45 percent of network. Why?

Can you tell us more? What are you using to test this throughput?

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

What is the speed you get from your ISP? What Ethernet cable are you using? Does your router and PC support that speed?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

2 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Can you tell us more? What are you using to test this throughput?

Just now, RockSolid1106 said:

What is the speed you get from your ISP? What Ethernet cable are you using? Does your router and PC support that speed?

The speed I get from my ISP is 900 Mbps. I am using a cat 6 ethernet cable. My PC supports these speeds. I am not sure how to find out if my router supports it or not.

I have been downloading video files and looking at task manager to test it.

Just now, farmerbrown123 said:

The speed I get from my ISP is 900 Mbps. I am using a cat 6 ethernet cable. My PC supports these speeds. I am not sure how to find out if my router supports it or not.

We still need more information. What is the make and model of your modem/router to start? Who is your ISP? Did they provide this device?

Just now, rickeo said:

We still need more information. What is the make and model of your modem/router to start? Who is your ISP? Did they provide this device?

My router is a Huawei HG659b. My ISP is Spark. (I live in New Zealand). They provided the router.

13 minutes ago, farmerbrown123 said:

I am not sure how to find out if my router supports it or not.

You can check the link speed of your connection if it’s gigabit in Settings.

13 minutes ago, farmerbrown123 said:

I have been downloading video files and looking at task manager to test it

Have you tried speedtest.net?

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

1 minute ago, RockSolid1106 said:

You can check the link speed of your connection if it’s 10 gigabit in Settings.

Have you tried speedtest.net?

I have checked it. It says 1000/1000 Mbps. I only need 900 but I am not getting it.

Yes I have. 

Just now, farmerbrown123 said:

Windows settings? Where?

I think it’s in Network and then under Ethernet you can see that on the right. Booted into Linux so can’t be sure.

^

VPN Server Guide

Alright so after what everyone else has said...

Under task manager, if it says your link speed it 1.0 Gigabit, the cable between your PC and router is good!

If speedtest.net is showing that you are NOT getting the 900mbps you should be getting from your ISP, then there is a problem in one of two places:

• The cable between your router and modem
  • The cable to your modem.

Start with the one between the modem and router. Then if replacing that cable doesn't work, try the cable between the modem and the wall. If still no dice, call the ISP.

Edit: Your modem is a router-modem combo. So no cable could be an issue there.

6 minutes ago, farmerbrown123 said:

It says 1000/1000 Mbps. I only need 900 but I am not getting it.

I feel there's something wrong from the ISPs end then. The last thing you could try is to make a shared folder on another PC on your network, connect it with the a cable and then do a file transfer to check the speeds. They should be roughly around 125MB/s.

Also, when you check in Task Manager(or speedtest), is the speed just capped exactly at 400, or does it occasionally go higher than that?

^

VPN Server Guide

What kind of cabling is coming to your home? Coax or fiber or something else?

Your quoted speed from your ISP is very rarely ever achieved, especially if you're sharing the line with your neighbor (which happens with traditional cable).

Check the cabling on the outside of your home if possible, check for frayed or old wiring. There could be 'noise' on the lines if they are loose or damaged. The signal could also be too high or too low, depending on the use of splitters and total length of the cable. You can also call your ISP and verify your account has the right speed listed (speed can be limited via firmware in the router, especially if they provided it).

We also must be careful when using megaBITS and megaBYTES. If you're getting 900 Mbps down from your ISP, then you should expect downloads to be above 100 MB/s during non peak hours.

EDIT: Former Comcast technician here, which is an ISP here in the States

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

Well, I may have found the issue, though why your ISP allowed you to get their 900mbps plan if I am correct about this, baffles me.

Essentially, your modem supports the following DSL protocols:
image.png.28ca106ed9405b79036bda3effd57311.png

Of those, VDSL 17a would be the fastest.

well, 17a's maximum downstream speed is 150mbps. So based on this wikipedia article I would have to assume otherwise if you're getting 400mbps. So... I am confused. Not sure what's going on here at all.

3 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Well, I may have found the issue, though why your ISP allowed you to get their 900mbps plan if I am correct about this, baffles me.

Essentially, your modem supports the following DSL protocols:
image.png.28ca106ed9405b79036bda3effd57311.png

Of those, VDSL 17a would be the fastest.

well, 17a's maximum downstream speed is 150mbps. So based on this wikipedia article I would have to assume otherwise if you're getting 400mbps. So... I am confused. Not sure what's going on here at all.

The Huawei HG659b has an Ethernet WAN port as well which is used by Spark's fiber internet products. He doesn't have DSL.

image.png.4092346c910c72859246f86030d2d286.png

image.png.fd50b73061a30e860001896c91bdb661.png

image.png.ae0434dda1f908819554862861a29c98.png

Found this for the spec sheet...it says it can do 10/100/1000 via its WAN and LAN ports.

OP can you give a screenshot of your speedtest result?

Also...shot in the dark here...have you verified if you're running half or full duplex?

Capture.PNG

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

1 hour ago, farmerbrown123 said:

Who measures internet speed this way?

No.

On a quiet network (no other devices accessing, no background apps downloading/uploading) while directly wired into the ISP device via uninterrupted ethernet, run a speed test at speedtest.net, dslreports.com and fast.com for comparison.

17 hours ago, farmerbrown123 said:

What are the file sizes, where are you downloading them from, and how?

it could be a server side limit