Samsung Odyssey G7 4K

Montana One-Six

I have been looking for 4K monitors over the past few weeks and I came across the new Samsung Odyssey G7A which has a 28" 4k IPS panel but I haven't seen any proper reviews of it yet.

Only a few half-baked "review" videos, one of which is from ShortCircuit:

Does anyone have any experience with this Monitor or has anyone seen a proper review of it somewhere?

Cheers

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Don't bother with Scamsung G-series monitors. They got the bad reputation of releasing broken monitors like the G9/Neo.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

41 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

I have been looking for 4K monitors over the past few weeks and I came across the new Samsung Odyssey G7A which has a 28" 4k IPS panel but I haven't seen any proper reviews of it yet.

Only a few half-baked "review" videos, one of which is from ShortCircuit:

Does anyone have any experience with this Monitor or has anyone seen a proper review of it somewhere?

Cheers

Have it since release ;) no issues, its on 24/7 : )

I have the 32" version of the G7. 1440p, 240 Hz.

When you fix and set everything up, it's beautiful.

The most salient thing about this product is that it's half-baked. Half-finished. I thought when i buy a Samsung product, it's done. This one is rushed and has problems. For example, on HDMI the monitor turns off and on more than once an hour. Change to DP, no problems but you can't boot into BIOS without HDMI. The VESA mount was missing and Samsung parts store was out of stock for 4 months. Two adjacent dead pixels in a row.

Other than 28" being too small for 4k, if you can get a good price, the G7 is okay at 240 Hz. But at 144 Hz there's probably more competition and options for you to consider.

Samsung has repediately shown their incompetence with their Odyssey monitor series. I would not buy one of their monitors period. There is no reason to take the risk on a non-reviewed product from a bad brand. There are plenty of other options:

If you want a 28" 4K monitor that is KNOWN to be good and well reviewed, get the Gigabyte M28U.

Gigabyte M28U Review - RTINGS.com

If you cannot find it in your region, the LG 27GP950-B is also a good option but overall slightly worse than the M28U and it's also more expensive.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, AWy4 said:

Other than 28" being too small for 4k

I looked at a few monitors in that ballpark and honestly I don't think so. To me ~28" is pretty much ideal in terms of size. 4K at that size has amazing image clarity.

If you think 28" is too small for 4K, my phone has a 5.5" 4K screen 😄. Which is still to this day one of the best screens I have seen on a phone, especially in terms of image clarity.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

There are plenty of other options:

If you want a 28" 4K monitor that is KNOWN to be good and well reviewed, get the Gigabyte M28U.

Gigabyte M28U Review - RTINGS.com

If you cannot find it in your region, the LG 27GP950-B is also a good option but overall slightly worse than the M28U and it's also more expensive.

Yeah, I have seen a lot about these other two screens and I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte right now.

I just like making educated decisions when purchasing things above a certain amount so I try to get as much info on all possible options.

20 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Don't bother with Scamsung G-series monitors. They got the bad reputation of releasing broken monitors like the G9/Neo.

20 hours ago, bubuie said:

Have it since release 😉 no issues, its on 24/7 : )

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Samsung has repediately shown their incompetence with their Odyssey monitor series. I would not buy one of their monitors period. There is no reason to take the risk on a non-reviewed product from a bad brand.

The thing with Odyssey monitors is the extreme black and white you hear from people, one half says they are good no issues the other half says don't bother. Which is why I was hoping someone could point me to a review I missed or at least could give a little more insight.

Thanks, all of you for your input.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

6 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

The thing with Odyssey monitors is the extreme black and white you hear from people, one half says they are good no issues the other half says don't bother. Which is why I was hoping someone could point me to a review I missed or at least could give a little more insight.

Thanks, all of you for your input.

Yeah these monitors are good, but only if you don't get a defective one. Their QC is terrible or pretty much non-existent. Because of that it's a complete gamble. And that's simply not something you have to deal with because you as a consumer have other options.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.