Threadripper 3995WX getting CPU1 MOS TEMP > 115° celsius

Hi everyone,

this is the first post on this forum, so first of all: thank you for this wonderful community...I've been watching LTT for a long time, and this forum has always turned out to be great 🙂 but this time I didn't find the answer to my question...

I've bought a new machine to do some hardcore CPU work...cpu and motherboard are:

- CPU: Threadripper PRO 3995WX

- Motherboard: Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI

When I start some heavy lifting tasks, the CPU temperature goes up to around 85° Celsius...but the motherboard has another a value called "CPU1 MOS TEMP Sensor Information" which reads crazy values such as 116°.

Does anyone have an idea bout this second value? What does it mean? Should I worry and get a better cooling system? For reference: the machine will be regularly maxed out for days in a row...so I want to be sure it handle this...

Thank you!!!

I am not so sure about the second value but I feel the first value itself should be a red flag to get a new cooler for the CPU. I suggest going AIO if feasible.

Sounds like VRM temp. What cooling are you using? If watercooled make sure the mobo still has adequate airflow.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Not 100% sure, (and apparently the Gigabyte manual doesn't specify 😑) but the name of the second value makes me think that the problem isn't the CPU temp itself, but rather the VRM temp - VRM is the circuitry that handles power delivery to CPU, and depending on the mobo-CPU combo and the amount of airflow in the case, it can get TOASTY

MOSfets are part of that circuitry.

If that's the case, then what you need to do is increase airflow in the case, and specially try to get some airflow going over sections that have these components:
components.jpg

19 hours ago, Rauten said:

Not 100% sure, (and apparently the Gigabyte manual doesn't specify 😑)

Indeed, this is one of the reasons I asked here...at least someone has some hypothesis about what this is! Thank you for the suggestions and descriptions: I'll try to improve the airflow! Just to make sure I'll try to write to Gigabyte, maybe someone will be kind enough to tell me what that value is...

20 hours ago, Lesgoooo said:

red flag to get a new cooler for the CPU. I suggest going AIO if feasible.

19 hours ago, Kilrah said:

What cooling are you using? If watercooled make sure the mobo still has adequate airflow.

I have an air-cooling solution, but from the beginning I had my doubts about it (I can't remember the exact model of the fan, but it favours quietness over cooling power...).
I'm not sure AIO is an option, but I'll keep you posted if I manage to improve things 🙂

Thank you everyone!!

• 3 months later...

Most TR4 coolers are not able to cool the 280W Threadripper Pro.

If you have space for the Noctua 14 TR4 or Dark Rock Pro that will keep you quiet and cool enough. Everything else won't

If it can be noisier there is the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 Cooler which has an insanely high rpm fan and fits in a 4U server