Bad ram with XMP on, Bios issue or ram socket on motherboard?

Hi,

I was in my bios today, to change my fan curve, when I press F10 (save changes) and exited, the PC ramped the fans up and then down and back etc...

I reset the bios, went in and turned on XMP for my ram to run at the correct speed and it did the same.

So after another reset of the bios, I went in left it as it was, with XMP off and it booted fine, no issues but for the ram speed was at 2133Mhz as XMP wasn't on.

So I pulled out 2 ram sticks (which was 1 kit) and, was able to turn on XMP, when I readded one of the 2 I removed, it wouldn't boot, with the fan reving up and down again.

I then tried the other stick, that was removed in same socket and the other socket and it did the same, with the fans reving up and down.

Now, I am trying to work out is this bad ram, bios issue or ram socket on motherboard, as it was running fine with XMP on, till I went in to change the fan curve.

Is this ram gone bad or a bios issue or a ram socket motherboartd issue?, As it only happened when I change the fan curver and saved it?

I added the second kit about an 1 to 2 weeks ago, the ram is the same make, version and timing as my other kit.

Looking on the MSI site at the Bios, I think I have version 7C37vH7. On version 7C37vH9 there was Improved memory compatibility.

PC Spec

Motherboard: MSI X570-A Pro (Bios version H.70)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz – 2 Kits
Graphic Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus OC

Thanks,

Gaz

try each stick individually, could be one of the sticks is bogged, or 2 from the 2nd kit.

'I added the second kit about an 1 to 2 weeks ago, the ram is the same make, version and timing as my other kit.'

doesnt mean there the same

are you sure you ever turned xmp back on? after you got the new kit? if not then xmp may just not be stable with 2x2x8 and you might need to do a bit of manual tuning

Thanks for the reply 🙂

I never went in and turned it back on after, adding the second kit, however windows was reporting it was running at 3000Mhz in task manager and AIDA64

I think the kit that is causing the issue, is the older kit, thought I would need to double check on that.

3 minutes ago, GazCBG said:

I never went in and turned it back on after, adding the second kit, however windows was reporting it was running at 3000Mhz in task manager and AIDA64

I think the kit that is causing the issue, is the older kit, thought I would need to double check on that.

windows probably reporting wrong and i really doubt you ever had xmp on after you added the second kit... although i doubt aida64 was lying to you so im not sure really. so maybe you did have it on idk

Thanks for the replies 🙂

I will take another look either tomorrow or Monday and test each stick and each kit.

Just an update on this.

I have tested all 4 sticks (2 kits) in each socket, only the 2nd (new) kit works with XMP on.

I will contact Corsair and see what they will say.

The kit (pair) that is not working is the old kit, that I bought in September 2019.

Thanks again for the replies 🙂

5 minutes ago, GazCBG said:

I have tested all 4 sticks (2 kits) in each socket, only the 2nd (new) kit works with XMP on.

What version number is written on the sticks? (next to the voltage)

1401257134_LPXlabel.jpg.c41016cf915d86954198236f3a97d52f.jpg

No, 1 is v3.31 from September 2019 and the other is v5.22 from September 2021

My other problem is the v3.31 kit, will no longer run with XMP, when it the only pair in the systeam, so without thh v5.22

The v3.31 will run at 2133Mhz ok, I have tried 1 stick and the other stick on it own, but the motherboard ez-debug say ram is at fault, with the v3.31 in it when XMP is on.

Where as the v5.22 will run fine with XMP on, without the v3.31 in the system.

It like both sticks of the v3.31 drop XMP profile or went semi-faulty at the same time, which seem weird to me.

Thanks for the replies 🙂

Edited by GazCBG

7 hours ago, GazCBG said:

My other problem is the v3.31 kit, will no longer run with XMP, when it the only pair in the systeam, so without thh v5.22

3.31 kit in slot A2 and B2 and reset BIOS?

No, I not tried that and will give it a try when I get a moment.

Thanks for the replies 🙂

Corsair has said: We do not recommend mixing separate memory kits as it can cause stability issues.  Memory with the same speed, size (GB per stick), timings, and voltage would net your best chance of not having a stability issue. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee mixing any two kits, even if they have the same part number, for guaranteed stability.

So it seems, there very little chance to get both pairs working with XMP on, due to the different versions.

I have tried my other ram and that works fine after a BIOS reset.

Would it be possible to manual set the speeds in the BIOS, instead of using XMP, or would there still be any issue, due to the different versions?