what if i use my laptop wifi card in my pc ? (experiement)

Timedemon2000

so i was trying to find  a solution for wifi for my pc but not a permenant one since i would use wifi only for a couple of weeks so i tried using thewifi card from my laptop. it was a weird m.2 rev 5-0 card. the standar was matching enough to get into my pcs m.2 slot. when i tried  turning on the desctop though it sparked and the pc didnt opened i instantly closed the psu and removed the wifi card the pc works and the wifi card still fanctions on the laptop so i didnt destroy anything. during further inspection though one of my pcie pins on the m.2 slot i used is bended outwords ripted off the socet and i believe it was that pin that exploded causing the spark but i dont really know. 

23 minutes ago, Timedemon2000 said:

so i was trying to find  a solution for wifi for my pc but not a permenant one since i would use wifi only for a couple of weeks so i tried using thewifi card from my laptop. it was a weird m.2 rev 5-0 card. the standar was matching enough to get into my pcs m.2 slot. when i tried  turning on the desctop though it sparked and the pc didnt opened i instantly closed the psu and removed the wifi card the pc works and the wifi card still fanctions on the laptop so i didnt destroy anything. during further inspection though one of my pcie pins on the m.2 slot i used is bended outwords ripted off the socet and i believe it was that pin that exploded causing the spark but i dont really know. 

I think it's safe to say that the m.2 slot on the motherboard is dead. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

45 minutes ago, Timedemon2000 said:

You put the circle into the square hole an it exploded so to say.

The m.2 slot is cooked you got of easy board could have easily been fried or worse too.

Don't just put random cards into slots that might fit. That wifi card obviously is not made for the m.2 slot.

On 10/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, jaslion said:

You put the circle into the square hole an it exploded so to say.

The m.2 slot is cooked you got of easy board could have easily been fried or worse too.

Don't just put random cards into slots that might fit. That wifi card obviously is not made for the m.2 slot.

I was tricked by the screw cause it wasn't in the middle of the card but in the side right were it would be for a standard m.2 slot and I couldn't find any where a warning about not using this standard with m.2 slots so I gave it a try. I hope people find this before they try to do the same lol

The moment you notice something is different from the norm that should be a big indicator already that something is not right at all. Also most wifi cards have 2 notches which again is different from what a m.2 drive is normally so again a big indicator something is not right.

19 hours ago, Timedemon2000 said:

I was tricked by the screw cause it wasn't in the middle of the card but in the side right were it would be for a standard m.2 slot and I couldn't find any where a warning about not using this standard with m.2 slots so I gave it a try. I hope people find this before they try to do the same lol

My guy, you saved me XD

I suspect its the bent pin that was the problem, not the card.  AFAIK if its fits in the M.2 slot, it should work, but without bluetooth support as that's usually over USB.  The slot keying is supposed to stop you putting a card in an incompatible slot.

I will admit, I haven't tried it though as its easier to buy an adapter that comes with the antenna pigtails to use a normal PCIe slot.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7