Is the black magic 12k an overkill for linus tech tips?

cristirium

I was watching a video that recommends cameras for YouTube and they agreed that if linus or marques brownlee stopped using those expensive cameras and start using a gh5 instead 95% of their viewers won't notice any change

what you think guys???

Yea I mostly agree, most people are watching on phones, and a midrange mirrorless camera is pretty good already.

But they seem to have the money, and there a bit better, so why not get the best image quality they can.

Also the pro video cameras normally are much nicer to work with compared to a mirrorless camera. Things like SDI output, better controls, better menus made for video instead of stills are probably work the extra when your using them all the time.

Yes they could likely make the same or mostly indistinguishable content with lesser equipment, but the 12K cameras and everything else make it easier to do so. As stated before, they often crop and pan within the 12K image in editing and still yield a 4K shot. If they were only shooting with a 4K camera, the same result would require a complete reshoot. 

I'll also add that Linus has previously stated that he purchases expensive top-end equipment to keep his employees happy. If you were a professional camera operator, would you rather work for the YouTube channel that shoots everything with GH5s and basic lenses or the company the regularly splurges for the newest and coolest cameras and big cine lenses? LTT supposedly hires the nerds with a passion for what they do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Linus is a bit of an archivist and I'm sure he wants footage for everything to look good 20 years from now. Is it necessary to even shoot above 1080p for youtube these days? Not really. But it's fine, it's his money.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 12:28 AM, cristirium said:

I was watching a video that recommends cameras for YouTube and they agreed that if linus or marques brownlee stopped using those expensive cameras and start using a gh5 instead 95% of their viewers won't notice any change

what you think guys???

Pretty much agree but its a tech channel and why not use the latest and greatest 🙂

I shoot on the GH5 and upload in 4k even digitally zooming in to 150% sometimes and on a 65" OLED it all looks amazing so 8k or 12k is future proofing really at this point.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:52 AM, DJRikki said:

Pretty much agree but its a tech channel and why not use the latest and greatest 🙂

I shoot on the GH5 and upload in 4k even digitally zooming in to 150% sometimes and on a 65" OLED it all looks amazing so 8k or 12k is future proofing really at this point.

Makes them money too. How many videos did they do on the reds?

4 hours ago, NOV654 said:

its easier to edit the image if its higher quality

i think

It looks better if you zoom in. If you record in 4K for example you can zoom in and it be 1080p. 

• 1 month later...

The BM 12K cameras are dirt cheap for what they do.  At $6k per body, if it saves just a bit of reshoots and makes editing and ingest just a bit easier, it saves more money than they cost.  Cameras are cheap, people to run them and edit are expensive.

1 hour ago, jec6613 said:

The BM 12K cameras are dirt cheap for what they do.  At $6k per body, if it saves just a bit of reshoots and makes editing and ingest just a bit easier, it saves more money than they cost.  Cameras are cheap, people to run them and edit are expensive.

And LMG still runs the pile of shit that calls itself Adobe premiere which probably causes more headaches alone than a 12K camera does.

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

And LMG still runs the pile of shit that calls itself Adobe premiere which probably causes more headaches alone than a 12K camera does.

Probably does cause a lot of headaches, but it's really designed well for a workflow like LMG uses.  They're still a relatively small shop and besides making a more complex workflow involving multiple tools, there's no good replacement right now.

Same reason Photoshop is still the de facto standard... yes, it sucks, but the feature stack makes up for it, at least for now.

Definitely overkill for what they do, but since they're a tech channel, it is definitely on-brand for them. Since when has LTT ever taken the sensible and practical approach when they could go for complete overkill? (And yes, higher resolution does provide greater flexibility in post, so there's that, too).

There's always a difference between what you need vs what you want vs what will make your life easier. People pay for convenience and that's what a lot of high end stuff purports to offer. Hell, they could operate with a Canon 5DmkII (from 2008) but it would definitely be less convenient. Hell, I don't need a Sony A7rIII, but I definitely like it more than my 5DmkIII. So, if they want 12k cameras and can afford them, then I don't see why they shouldn't buy them

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

10 hours ago, jec6613 said:

Probably does cause a lot of headaches, but it's really designed well for a workflow like LMG uses.  They're still a relatively small shop and besides making a more complex workflow involving multiple tools, there's no good replacement right now.

Same reason Photoshop is still the de facto standard... yes, it sucks, but the feature stack makes up for it, at least for now.

A lot of other programs plug into the Adobe suite well thought. Final cut I know works with pretty much everything. Da Vinci resolve is another option, both much more stable than premiere and I think both are faster programs. 

On 9/29/2021 at 7:28 PM, cristirium said:

what you think guys???

I think they're a tech channel which uses dual RTX 3090s (soon to be 3090tis) for editing, and have essentially every GPU that has ever existed

in other words, I don't think they care about the price, especially if they can get a review out of it

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

12 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

I think they're a tech channel which uses dual RTX 3090s (soon to be 3090tis) for editing, and have essentially every GPU that has ever existed

in other words, I don't think they care about the price, especially if they can get a review out of it

Do they use 3090’s? Been a while but I removed them saying they use last gen CPUs and 3090’s would be a waste for Adobe premiere, be cheaper to get quadros. They also don’t buy GPUs they get send review units. 

On 12/15/2021 at 3:01 PM, Imbadatnames said:

Do they use 3090’s? Been a while but I removed them saying they use last gen CPUs and 3090’s would be a waste for Adobe premiere, be cheaper to get quadros. They also don’t buy GPUs they get send review units. 

the point was that they don't care about the price (to a certain point obv)

34 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

the point was that they don't care about the price (to a certain point obv)

I mean if they didn’t care about cost they’d just get mac pros 

11 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

I mean if they didn’t care about cost they’d just get mac pros 

not exactly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IHSRPVqwQ

2 hours ago, Alder Lake said:

That’s all good and all but the issue is the mac pro runs final cut and the PC does not so the PC loses. LTT generally tries to shit on macs by using workloads they’re not meant for and ignoring the fact that macs run software that PCs cannot. 

7 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

That’s all good and all but the issue is the mac pro runs final cut and the PC does not so the PC loses. LTT generally tries to shit on macs by using workloads they’re not meant for and ignoring the fact that macs run software that PCs cannot. 

I would bet that there's a replacement for just about all the *special software*

8 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

I would bet that there's a replacement for just about all the *special software*

Final cut which is the fastest and most stable video editor you can buy and Logic which is an industry standard and why macs are so widespread in the music industry. You can get software that’s not quite as good and more expensive though. 

Just now, Imbadatnames said:

Final cut which is the fastest and most stable video editor you can buy and Logic which is an industry standard and why macs are so widespread in the music industry. You can get software that’s not quite as good and more expensive though. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm sure there's a reason he uses PCs

maybe the fact that they're so much faster that they make up for the lack of programs

e.g. let's say this mac program runs 30% better, but the PC pro is 50% more powerful (just an example, not real numbers), then the PC pro is the faster choice

1 hour ago, Alder Lake said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm sure there's a reason he uses PCs

maybe the fact that they're so much faster that they make up for the lack of programs

e.g. let's say this mac program runs 30% better, but the PC pro is 50% more powerful (just an example, not real numbers), then the PC pro is the faster choice

Macs are purpose built to run software that the target demographic will run. They literally released a rack mounted Mac Pro for the music industry.

They use PC because they’re using Adobe premiere and the fact that it would require Linus to eat a ton of humble pie to admit that final cut is the best solution for a company his size. Premiere is slower than final cut, it’s an unstable mess in terms of reliability and it’s more expensive. You get the “Adobe suite” that final cut also just plugs into too. They literally had a competition a while back with ijustine? Where she used a stick MacBook Pro and LTTs editor used a beefy PC laptop, plugged in with several keyboard preloaded with macros and the MacBook still won by a country mile. 

4 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

no it isn't. Reslove on linux takes the cake. theres a reason why hollywood doesn't cut on FCPX. its not some magic great program

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Macs are purpose built to run software that the target demographic will run. They literally released a rack mounted Mac Pro for the music industry.

They use PC because they’re using Adobe premiere and the fact that it would require Linus to eat a ton of humble pie to admit that final cut is the best solution for a company his size. Premiere is slower than final cut, it’s an unstable mess in terms of reliability and it’s more expensive. You get the “Adobe suite” that final cut also just plugs into too.

no they aren't they are normal hardware with m1 having a few special accelerators. they did that because people have been putting macs in racks for decades for travailing shows.

FPCX isn't the best. the only thing its great at is quick cuts on low powered machines. anything more advanced and your reaching for other tools. from audio to color grading people who edit on FPCX do it somewhere else. PP is no better but its all linked together with adobe glue

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

They literally had a competition a while back with ijustine? Where she used a stick MacBook Pro and LTTs editor used a beefy PC laptop, plugged in with several keyboard preloaded with macros and the MacBook still won by a country mile. 

no it didn't, your also talking about 2 very different editing styles, Tarron edits very differently from iJustine.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs