Enabling Secure Boot on existing Windows 10 install

jslowik
Go to solution Solved by jslowik,

Maybe this is coincidence, or I broke something in such a way that it works, I don't know. But it's been successfully booting after 3 reboots now. There was an option to "Reset to setup mode" in UEFI. After selecting that and rebooting, things have been working fine.

Hey all,

Unfortunately, I've had very little luck googling for this issue, I assume because of the Windows 11 thing combined with my idiocy. Anyway, here it goes.

I've got an AMD (Gigabyte x570 and 3900x) system with a pre-existing Windows 10 install (confirmed GPT). TPM is verified enabled. I enabled secure boot yesterday and the machine booted fine. Secure boot showed as enabled in system info. Went to boot this morning and no boot. I don't have LEDs to diagnose, but I do have a speaker on the board. No beep codes, no video output.

Have I missed a step in the process that would have caused it to boot a single time, but not a second time? Maybe something with generating codes? I didn't grab screenshots, but I remember some kind of options there. 

Thanks very much for your time and patience, everyone.

So you're motherboard isn't posting at all? Do you have RGB on anything connected, and if so are they lightning up? Are the fans spinning up? I've heard of people having issues with their GPU being locked out after enabling secure boot so that could very well be the issue here, especially considering you hear no post beeps.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

45 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

So you're motherboard isn't posting at all? Do you have RGB on anything connected, and if so are they lightning up? Are the fans spinning up? I've heard of people having issues with their GPU being locked out after enabling secure boot so that could very well be the issue here, especially considering you hear no post beeps.

Correct no post, at least from what I can tell from the lack of beep codes. Fans spin, case lights come on. I came across posts about the GPU being an issue as well, but I expected to get a beep code for that. Is that incorrect? I’m on a 2080 so I sort of dismissed it as a problem that was seen with older cards. Maybe that was also incorrect of me as well?

I’ll do some research on the gpu issue. 

Still unsure why it booted once. 

Edited by jslowik

The problem some people were having in this instance was with the GPU driver essentially being disabled through the BIOS, so the PC would still technically post but as there's no way to display anything, and since you're on the 3900x trying to use an iGPU would be impossible.

"Beatrix"

• Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans

1 hour ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

since you're on the 3900x trying to use an iGPU would be impossible.

What if I ask it nicely? 😁

Maybe this is coincidence, or I broke something in such a way that it works, I don't know. But it's been successfully booting after 3 reboots now. There was an option to "Reset to setup mode" in UEFI. After selecting that and rebooting, things have been working fine.

Is Secure Boot now disabled? Or have you noticed any other settings that have changed from what you modified when the issue started? Just curious.

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

1 hour ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Is Secure Boot now disabled? Or have you noticed any other settings that have changed from what you modified when the issue started? Just curious.

Secure boot is enabled. Everything is set as it was when it was failing to post (with secure boot enabled). The reset to setup mode was specific to the secure boot settings. I ran that after clearing CMOS, restoring my previous working config, going through the steps to re-enable secure boot, and the last thing I changed was enabling that reset to setup option.

It has been smooth sailing since with secure boot enabled.

Also, hello fellow Wisconsinite.

Edited by jslowik

Well glad that everything is working for you now, I'm sort of dreading making the switch to Windows 11 myself and probably won't be doing it for a year or so at least so all these posts about it and secure boot are a genuine interest. 

Also, cheese power!

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

1 minute ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Well glad that everything is working for you now, I'm sort of dreading making the switch to Windows 11 myself and probably won't be doing it for a year or so at least so all these posts about it and secure boot are a genuine interest. 

This was all mostly in service of being ready for 11 as you likely guessed. I'm going to try to put off the upgrade myself as long as possible, but I hate having "to-dos" hanging over me and decided to at least get everything ready.

I think my issue may have been I pushed buttons in the UEFI setup that I didn't understand and likely shouldn't have touched when I did the enabling of the TPM a few months back when I "started" the process. Thinking my foolishness was likely the reason I had difficulty finding answers. Would then hope that means others aren't running into this.

6 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Also, cheese power!

🧀 🧀