Why my Old pc is better at gaming than my 11th Gen Laptop

ShebuAli
Go to solution Solved by Chronified,

Simple, because your desktop has a dedicated graphics card. 

As basic as a HD 7350 is, it'll still outpreform the integrated graphics on your newer laptop.

Also, someone stole 4GB of ram from your laptop, Inspiron 15 3501 comes with 8GB on all models iirc, you should seriously consider upgrading to 8GB.

Tbh, look into GeforceNow. Try out the free tier for 1hr at a time to see how it performs on your internet. 

It's cloud gamestreaming, imagine live sports and Netflix had an esports baby lol. It hosts the game in the cloud and streams it to your PC. I only have 8-12ms of lag, which is more than the frametimes+stutter you'd be dealing with on low-spec systems like those.

I'd much rather deal with a bit of added latency than min-settings <30fps lol

It is a very frustrating thing but when i bought a Laptop for my University years which costed 5 times more than my pc back at home. I was expecting a noticeable performance difference. But sadly i see none. Before i start complaining here are the specs 

Old Pc back at home.

Optiplex 745

Core2Quad Q6600

4gb DDR2 Ram

Amd HD 7350 OEM GPU

7200rpm Hard drive

Current Laptop

Dell Inspiron 15 3501

Core i3 1115G4

4gb DDR4 Ram

5400Rpm Hard Drive

Both devices are running latest version of Windows with all latest drivers.

I am a casual gamer, i will discuss two games for comparison

1.Assasins Creed Black flag ran similarly on both with low settings.

2.MGSV The phantom pain also has similar performance on both hardware on low settings but the laptop crashes on intense scenes which doesn't occur on pc.

I tried some other games on laptop like valorant which got stuck on loading screen forever.

With everything said, i have one question that needs answering. Does newer hardware with significant price difference, means better performance?

As basic as a HD 7350 is, it'll still outpreform the integrated graphics on your newer laptop.

Also, someone stole 4GB of ram from your laptop, Inspiron 15 3501 comes with 8GB on all models iirc, you should seriously consider upgrading to 8GB.

Tbh, look into GeforceNow. Try out the free tier for 1hr at a time to see how it performs on your internet. 

It's cloud gamestreaming, imagine live sports and Netflix had an esports baby lol. It hosts the game in the cloud and streams it to your PC. I only have 8-12ms of lag, which is more than the frametimes+stutter you'd be dealing with on low-spec systems like those.

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

7 minutes ago, whispous said:

4GB of ram with a modern OS is also an extremely painful experience.

I upgraded my old POS laptop a while ago, got a few more fps in games, at least in the ones which it could run

27 minutes ago, Chronified said:

Thank you. Looks like i will need to make a visit to the dell centre for the ram. Well... Looks like i had too much expectations from the integrated gpu .  

50 minutes ago, Chronified said:

the laptop should be a lot better than the 7350... even the graphics that can come in my 2013 laptop beat it

45 minutes ago, Chronified said:

This could just be due to the asian region. 
I too bought this exact laptop just a week ago from the dell store. (I am from southeast asia) hahaha.

but it had the i3-1135g7, 512gb nvme ssd. upgrades, however it still was 4gb ram. this cost around $500 US. They probably really cheaped out on that part of the specs.  I have already upgraded the ram to 16gb tho. so it's all good now :3

to the op. yes this laptop is terrible for gaming. but esports games work well on it, so there's that at least. Probably upgrading the ram may stop more intensive games from crashing.

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

18 minutes ago, ShebuAli said:

Thank you. Looks like i will need to make a visit to the dell centre for the ram. Well... Looks like i had too much expectations from the integrated gpu .  

The problem might be the ram, even my 2013 laptop has better integrated graphics than the 7350

Just now, Zenedge said:

I too bought this exact laptop just a week ago from the dell store. (I am from southeast asia) hahaha.

but it had the i3-1135g7, 512gb nvme ssd. upgrades, however it still was 4gb ram. this cost around $500 US. They probably really cheaped out on that part of the specs.  I have already upgraded the ram to 16gb tho. so it's all good now :3

to the op. yes this laptop is terrible for gaming. but esports games work well on it, so there's that at least. Probably upgrading the ram may stop more intensive games from crashing.

It is bad, but it shouldnt be that bad, on PassMark, the 7350 is worse than the top end integrated gpu on my 2013 laptop

35 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

the laptop should be a lot better than the 7350... even the graphics that can come in my 2013 laptop beat it

It should be but it's not... That is the problem for me.

36 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

Yup..i have also gotten it from dell store( and south-east asia). But it is just not performing as expected you know. I hoped at least 2014 games to run fine on this one.

38 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

The problem might be the ram, even my 2013 laptop has better integrated graphics than the 7350

The ram is as advertised and has no faults.. but i am concerned whether upgrading it will be worth it or not.

It certainly will be better since 4GB of RAM is basically unusable today especially when some is taken away by the iGPU. And that laptop probably will be running with a single 4GB stick, so running in single channel which is again bad for performance expecially with an iGPU.

Now whether it'll make enough difference to satisfy what you want to do is anyone's guess.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

55 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It certainly will be better since 4GB of RAM is basically unusable today especially when some is taken away by the iGPU. And that laptop probably will be running with a single 4GB stick, so running in single channel which is again bad for performance expecially with an iGPU.

Now whether it'll make enough difference to satisfy what you want to do is anyone's guess.

I think the bottom line for this laptop will be to play valorant at 40fps.. which i can't get past loading screen.

Must be possible since I see a guy who runs at 140fps on 11th gen UHD graphics, although that's on a desktop i5.

But he's got 16GB total and more than 8GB of RAM in use so for sure 4GB total isn't going to cut it. Should probably upgrade to 8 or even 12.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

53 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Must be possible since I see a guy who runs at 140fps on 11th gen UHD graphics, although that's on a desktop i5.

But he's got 16GB total and more than 8GB of RAM in use so for sure 4GB total isn't going to cut it. Should probably upgrade to 8 or even 12.

Looks like it. Igpus definitely need more ram so i think i should upgrade it to 8gb or 12gb. With 4gb valorant is not even playable , it freezes at the tutorial screen.