Laptop Headphone jack got over-voltaged

Laniakea

My dad stepped on the cable that goes to my 2+1 speakers and it backfired and broke something in my laptop, now the left side is so much quiter, tried it with headphones too. My laptop model is Acer Nitro AN515-44. Is there any way to fix it easily, my university is starting 2 days from now and I cannot give it up unfortunately, thanks.

It's hard to tell what could have went wrong with the machine, regardless the repairs would require soldering and potentially a new chip if you fried one on the board. I would personally suggest getting a USB to 3.5mm adapter or a USB Type C to 3.5mm since you might not be using the USB C on your laptop and using that, at least for now.

Your speakers can't backfeed to your laptop, they're just not wired up in a way where that's possible. The most likely explanation is your headphone jack has been physically damaged. It may be possible to pull out the board and bend the internal contacts back into place, or reflow the solder on the connections if those were damaged.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's hard to tell what could have went wrong with the machine, regardless the repairs would require soldering and potentially a new chip if you fried one on the board. I would personally suggest getting a USB to 3.5mm adapter or a USB Type C to 3.5mm since you might not be using the USB C on your laptop and using that, at least for now.

Thank you 😞 Just out of curiosity, now that I won't be using my headphone jack anymore, can overvolting it again cause any bigger problems? Cause I have nothing to lose headphone-jack-wise, I'm curious if it can fix it.

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Your speakers can't backfeed to your laptop, they're just not wired up in a way where that's possible. The most likely explanation is your headphone jack has been physically damaged. It may be possible to pull out the board and bend the internal contacts back into place, or reflow the solder on the connections if those were damaged.

Oh, so you mean physical like bending cables and resoldering things level physical right? I can do that, but it will void the warranty right?

2 minutes ago, Laniakea said:

Oh, so you mean physical like bending cables and resoldering things level physical right? I can do that, but it will void the warranty right?

Pretty much, there could be internal damage in the headphone jack, or damage to its connection to the motherboard. The jack might be able to be repaired, and replacing it would almost certainly fix it, but it's definitely going to void the warranty.

I'd suggest just getting some sort of USB audio device, it will likely be much easier.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Pretty much, there could be internal damage in the headphone jack, or damage to its connection to the motherboard. The jack might be able to be repaired, and replacing it would almost certainly fix it, but it's definitely going to void the warranty.

I'd suggest just getting some sort of USB audio device, it will likely be much easier.

That'll have to do yeah, thanks so much again. Oh and, what do you think about this tho 😄

15 minutes ago, Laniakea said:

Thank you 😞 Just out of curiosity, now that I won't be using my headphone jack anymore, can overvolting it again cause any bigger problems? Cause I have nothing to lose headphone-jack-wise, I'm curious if it can fix it.

1 hour ago, Laniakea said:

That'll have to do yeah, thanks so much again. Oh and, what do you think about this tho 😄

2 hours ago, Laniakea said:

I'd suggest not trying to electrically damage your laptop. I think it's probably unlikely to break anything farther back in the chain than the DAC, but I'd avoid taking that risk.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop: