Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm a new member here to the forums and not very well versed in networking setups. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered somewhere else in the forum.

 

 I am moving into a new house and we have a new internet plan that is up to 500 mbps coming in off of a fiber optic line. My questions generally are related to what is going to be the bottleneck and what sort of speeds should I realistically buy hardware for to harness the max amount of the speed I'm paying for, such as:  

 

If I get a modem that will handle XXXmbps speed and then connect a router that's capable of 1gbps to that modem, is that 500mbps that is flowing through the modem and router now going to be split across all the connected devices? (example: 5 devices connected to router and now each one would be capped at a theoretical 100mbps)

 

I'm worried that if I go out and buy the latest and greatest super modem and router setup that most of the potential of the setup will be wasted along with the money I paid for it over a more tame system. 

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally with fibre optics, you dont' need to get a modem, your isp will provide them. See what your ISP offers.

 

12 minutes ago, chandlermaxwell said:

is that 500mbps that is flowing through the modem and router now going to be split across all the connected devices?

Yea it will be split, but most of the time most devices won't be using much network at all, so each device can use the full 500mbit if nothign else it.

 

Do you want wifi? Whats your budget? Does your isp supply a modem/router? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My internet service provider has the option to rent a modem/router from them, but based off of my experience with their hardware in the past the performance is lackluster at the price, and the range on the unit is enough for maybe a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment. I will definitely want WiFi throughout the house, but I plan on having the big users of internet hardwired to the wall (gaming console, TV, work computer, home security system, etc.) The only items that will regularly be using the WiFi connection will be laptops and cell phones. 

 

I could probably justify spending $300-$400 if the hardware was going to last and not become outdated in the next year or two. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chandlermaxwell said:

f I get a modem that will handle XXXmbps speed and then connect a router that's

You need to figure out if your ISP provides just an ONT( (what acts like a modem on Fiber) or if they provide an ONT/Router. Because you CANT buy an ONT at any store. For example Verizon FIOS you generally get a ONT and then they will allow you to buy or rent a router. With AT&T Fiber service you get an ONT/Router combo and your stuck with that piece of shit. You can throw it in to Pass thru mode and connect a better router, but your CANT replace it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You need to figure out if your ISP provides just an ONT( (what acts like a modem on Fiber) or if they provide an ONT/Router. Because you CANT buy an ONT at any store. For example Verizon FIOS you generally get a ONT and then they will allow you to buy or rent a router. With AT&T Fiber service you get an ONT/Router combo and your stuck with that piece of shit. You can throw it in to Pass thru mode and connect a better router, but your CANT replace it. 

Thanks! That's a good point about being stuck with their hardware potentially. I am dealing with Cox Cable, so I'll have to reach out to them and see what is actually provided. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chandlermaxwell said:

Thanks! That's a good point about being stuck with their hardware potentially. I am dealing with Cox Cable, so I'll have to reach out to them and see what is actually provided. 

Cox is not Fiber. That’s Docsis Cable Internet. The difference is the FCC requires cable companies to allow customer modems. I would suggest checking with Cox on if they have a supported list of retail modems. I know Comcast does, but not sure about Cox. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cox is not Fiber. That’s Docsis Cable Internet. The difference is the FCC requires cable companies to allow customer modems. I would suggest checking with Cox on if they have a supported list of retail modems. I know Comcast does, but not sure about Cox. 

They do have a supported list of modems that will work with it. Pretty much anything that was Docsis 3.0 or better was compatible. They did tell me that the internet service I'd be getting to my house will be coming off of a fiber optic connection at the utility box located in the front yard. 

 

I may have made that a little unclear in my original post. Sorry about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chandlermaxwell said:

They do have a supported list of modems that will work with it. Pretty much anything that was Docsis 3.0 or better was compatible. They did tell me that the internet service I'd be getting to my house will be coming off of a fiber optic connection at the utility box located in the front yard. 

 

I may have made that a little unclear in my original post. Sorry about that. 

Docsis service is Fiber to the node. Your node must be out front. In some rare cases they run fiber to the home and put a micro node in your home. That RFoG, but it’s kinda falling out of favor. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×