Portable Budget Laptop

ozzcer

Hi all,

I am looking for the best portable budget laptop available, happy to pay more for exactly what I am looking for but not looking to pay for brand or style. Probably max 500 but cheaper the better.

Based in the UK.

Used purely for programming so I would like to be able to install a Linux distro but happy to use chrome OS. Not happy with windows only but can easily replace it.

Keyboard is quite important, wont use the track pad much.

Not bothered by brand.

Not too bothered by hardware, doesn't need much storage. No need for any serious graphics processing or memory, mainly focus on CPU.

I/O is pretty important, need at least one USB B and C and wouldnt mind ethernet but know that ones a long shot.

Portability is vital.

Thanks,

ØƵ

Edit: my context is that I've just finished uni and been made homeless as my contract ran out. All my belongings are in storage but I cant afford huge outlays at the moment. Not looking for any handouts though!

2 minutes ago, ozzcer said:

Hi all,

I am looking for the best portable budget laptop available, happy to pay more for exactly what I am looking for but not looking to pay for brand or style. 

Based in the UK.

Used purely for programming so I would like to be able to install a Linux distro but happy to use chrome OS. Not happy with windows only but can easily replace it.

Keyboard is quite important, wont use the track pad much.

Not bothered by brand.

Not too bothered by hardware, doesn't need much storage. No need for any serious graphics processing or memory, mainly focus on CPU.

I/O is pretty important, need at least one USB B and C and wouldnt mind ethernet but know that ones a long shot.

Portability is vital.

Thanks,

ØƵ

What is your budget? We need something to go off of.

"Budget" is not a budget, we need a number.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

41 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

What is your budget? We need something to go off of.

"Budget" is not a budget, we need a number.

Sorry not too sure yet, updated the post with a max of 500. Just finished uni and had to leave all my belongings in storage so quite skint. 

Look at old thinkpads, they're probably your best bet. They have pretty darn good Linux support, they're build like tanks, easy to fix if something goes wrong (depending on model), the keyboards are great, etc. Plus they still have pretty good IO (my brand new 13in Thinkpad still has 2 USB A, 2 USB C (one is thunderbolt), a full sized HDMI, Micro SD, and a headphone jack). If you don't need that much, you can probably get something like a T450 or T460 on ebay for around $200-300 US, though if you really need a type C port you'll probably have to look for something like a T470 or newer, maybe even stepping down to the E-series (like an E470 or E480)

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Look at old thinkpads, they're probably your best bet. They have pretty darn good Linux support, they're build like tanks, easy to fix if something goes wrong (depending on model), the keyboards are great, etc. Plus they still have pretty good IO (my brand new 13in Thinkpad still has 2 USB A, 2 USB C (one is thunderbolt), a full sized HDMI, Micro SD, and a headphone jack). If you don't need that much, you can probably get something like a T450 or T460 on ebay for around $200-300 US, though if you really need a type C port you'll probably have to look for something like a T470 or newer, maybe even stepping down to the E-series (like an E470 or E480)

Awesome thank you, thinkpads probably are perfect besides being usually being a bit bulky. Will have a look at their smaller models.

3 minutes ago, ozzcer said:

Awesome thank you, thinkpads probably are perfect besides being usually being a bit bulky. Will have a look at their smaller models.

You'd be surprised at some of their smaller models. the X1 is a pretty thin laptop with a ton of ports, and my L13 Yoga is about as thin as my smartphone with an otterbox