Keyboard sending random inputs after i lube the blue switches (without desoldering.)

Isaac Foster

so i just lubed my keyboard without desoldering it, yes it is possible, but this is the first time i lubed a switch. at the first i tried to lube the arrow keys switches, they sound amazing after lubing and everything is normal. so i repeated the lubing process to the other keys. putting the same amount of lube over and over again. 3 hours later i am done soldering, so i put the keycaps back on and my god they sound amazing, smooth, clicky most importantly it thoccs. but it started sending random inputs, i am dissapointed, the keyboard sounded amazing, i want to use it normally everyday. but its just a hard work of nothing.
can someone help me with my keyboard?

jesus christ, that's a bad plan!

Remove all your keycaps, and stick the keyboard in the dishwasher.  Run it.  

Possibly twice, as vaseline will be a pain in the ass to get out.

Then stick it in front of a fan for 12+ hours to dry it out, and inspect carefully for liquid before plugging in again.

1 minute ago, ItzMadMan said:

my sisters vaseline lol

Well that's where you screwed up

Throw the board in your dishwasher, let it dry for a few days to a week/ maybe 2.

Do NOT plug it in.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Well that's where you screwed up

Throw the board in your dishwasher, let it dry for a few days to a week/ maybe 2.

Do NOT plug it in.

should i do it with the pcb revealed, or just reassamble the whole thing and put it in the water, i dont have a dishwasher.

Just now, ItzMadMan said:

should i do it with the pcb revealed, or just reassamble the whole thing and put it in the water, i dont have a dishwasher.

nobody said anything about desoldering.  You don't have to desolder anything.

Do you have a hose?  

You can get a long bristled brush and brush the keyboard with soapy water, and then thoroughly spray it down with water.  Repeat several times.

Then make sure it's 200% dry before even considering to plug it in again.

Vaseline will repel water on its own, you need soap and force to remove it.  It ain't gonna be easy.

Next time you want to lube something, ask google first.  

2 minutes ago, ItzMadMan said:

Unless your open sink can sustain the same temp as a dishwasher it won't hold the same effect.

Find someone that has one and ask to use it, or do as @tkitchsaid and take a day to meticulously clean it 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, tkitch said:

Do you have a hose?  

You can get a long bristled brush and brush the keyboard with soapy water, and then thoroughly spray it down with water.  Repeat several times.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Then make sure it's 200% dry before even considering to plug it in again.

i know i dont need to desolder it, i just wanna make my keyboard better lol, everyone lube their switch by desoldering the switches from the pcb or something, i just dont have the tools to professionaly lube it thats why i said i am sad lol

Are you going to read anything we type?  Or are you just looking to make pretend drama?

Because you're not doing a good job of reading what have been the responses this far.  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Are you going to read anything we type?  Or are you just looking to make pretend drama?

Because you're not doing a good job of reading what have been the responses this far.  

i dont have the thing you guys typed, i have hose but the water pressure is bad.

Just now, tkitch said:

find a friend with a dishwasher?

i can but, its like 22:27, i will try my best to clean the vaseline

You're not using your keyboard again tonight if you wash it.  

You need hours or days of dry time after cleaning it.  Rushing that will fry things on your computer.  

disassemble the keyboard as far as it'll go, run warm-but-not-hot water "into" the switches repeatedly until everything stops leaving behind a greasy feeling (probably 30 minutes to a few hours, depending on hoow good it ends up working).

pressing the switches while cleaning them out probably helps here.

then let it leak out and air dry at least 24 hours, preferably longer.

while it's air drying, take a tour of the local hardware stores, find their lubricants section, and buy one of the following:

- whatever word they have for "bog standard household oil" -- this will probably be the cheapest, and will probably feature a picture of a hinge, a doorhandle, or other household components tthat get squeaky.

- sowing machine oil -- it's a bit more expensive, but is much thinner.. if you so prefer.

- ptfe spray - MUCH thinner, it's basicly not much more than a protective 'residue' on metal components to combat squeaking or corrosion, with some additives to reduce friction.

- silicone spray -- essentially an alternative to the above, based on silicone instead of ptfe.

once the keyboard is sufficiently dried out, put a drop of lubricant in each key, let it sit for a while to let the lube settle down, and then flip the keyboard upside down again, on some paper towels, to let excess lube leak out.

with lubricant, there's a saying that i found to hold quite true: "the correct amount of lubricant can be felt, but not seen." vaseline is an exceptionally poor lubricant for this purpose, because it's thick and sticky.

i've had a bit of an iffy contact on one of my keys, a splash of ptfe spray resolved that for me, and the keyboard's been great since.

and if you insist on using household items as lubricant... get some olive oil, it's got OIL in the darn name...