Busted Auxiliary laptop antenna cable

Go to solution Solved by aramini,

If it was me, I would replace the card. If you don't want to mess with replacing the antenna wire, I don't see why you couldn't get the replacement wire kit (they're pretty cheap) and instead of replacing the whole wire, just cut the end off of the new wire, a few inches from the end of the connector (so that you have plenty of spare wire on the bare end if your first attempt goes awry) and splice it together with the existing wire that is missing the connector.

You could twist them together, solder over them and wrap in electrical tape. Or use those shrink wrap tubes that shrink when you apply heat near them (such as the soldering iron). Work carefully and take your time.

You just need to work with the wire, so

put something over the laptop like tin foil, so in case the solder drips, it lands on the tin foil and not inside the laptop. Make sure unplug the laptop and remember to remove the battery before working on it as a safety precaution.

Or just twist them together (no soldering) wrap the wire in electrical tape and hope for the best. I personally would replace the card either way with something better/more reliable.

Just my opinion/idea.

I have an Alienware 13 R3 with a busted antenna cable (see pic). The male UFL connector is missing, and as such I have unstable and unusable Bluetooth. Before you ask, no I didn't do it and it did not came like this from Dell, I bought it refurbished/used and it was this way from the beginning. I didn't mind all this time, but I've been fixing a lot of things on the laptop and I want to get this over with as well.  Also, it is not a software issue, I've tried many things but to no avail. It is certainly a hardware problem.

Now I've seen that I can replace the connector, there is a shop nearby selling cables like this for cheap, and I can just remove the connector from the new cable and attach it in the old one. There are videos of this and it is feasible, but hard, and I'll have to do this over the laptop which is not ideal. Replacing the whole antenna is not an option as I would have to do a full disassembly and order a new antenna assembly which who knows how much it'll cost.

Also I've seen that Killer network cards are considered kinda crappy, and many people have just bought Intel ones and any problems they had disappeared, even with the main cable alone (wihtout the auxiliary).

What do you think? Should I fix the cable or just buy a new card? Also do you think the cable is really the issue, or it is the card again and thus it is up for replacement?

Cheers!

1632151094707.jpg

If it was me, I would replace the card. If you don't want to mess with replacing the antenna wire, I don't see why you couldn't get the replacement wire kit (they're pretty cheap) and instead of replacing the whole wire, just cut the end off of the new wire, a few inches from the end of the connector (so that you have plenty of spare wire on the bare end if your first attempt goes awry) and splice it together with the existing wire that is missing the connector.

You could twist them together, solder over them and wrap in electrical tape. Or use those shrink wrap tubes that shrink when you apply heat near them (such as the soldering iron). Work carefully and take your time.

put something over the laptop like tin foil, so in case the solder drips, it lands on the tin foil and not inside the laptop. Make sure unplug the laptop and remember to remove the battery before working on it as a safety precaution.

Or just twist them together (no soldering) wrap the wire in electrical tape and hope for the best. I personally would replace the card either way with something better/more reliable.

Just my opinion/idea.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

1 hour ago, aramini said:

Just my opinion/idea.

So I'm better off doing both. Actually good idea on the cable joining thing, I should have thought about it. And since they are coax cables it would be pretty easy.

I'll look into it. Thanks!