Should I be turning down my refresh rate if my gpu doesnt put out the frames?

nelska

I have a 240hz monitor that has freesync. and a 1050ti that can do 240hz but as soon as the game intensifies it drops to around 120fps. would it be more wise to change the refresh rate to 120hz? or what. I'm currently just running it at 240hz with freesync enabled but it seems a bit jumpy because it can just barely do that 240hz lol. 

Freesync, if working correctly, should change the refresh rate of the monitor automatically to whatever your 1050Ti is displaying. I would double check in the Nvidia control panel that G-Sync compatibility is on, and just always run it at 240Hz. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Freesync, if working correctly, should change the refresh rate of the monitor automatically to whatever your 1050Ti is displaying. I would double check in the Nvidia control panel that G-Sync compatibility is on, and just always run it at 240Hz. 

you have to enable adaptive gsync. which came out a year or so ago. but yes. it works. if you go to the menu on the monitor itself with the buttons on the front it will show you it matches if you graph fps ingame. which btw is the most amazing technilogical advancement update i have experienced since like the original xbox. it lets you crank the settings all the way up without burning the gpu up. it''ll even do 99% usage. not anything more. 

In my experience if you run at 240hz even if you do have some screen tearing it will only be displayed for 1/240 of a second which is hardly noticeable so I just kept my refreshrate at 240hz regardless. Now I have a 360hz which is even less noticeable if there is any screen tearing issues when each image is only displayed for 1/360 of a second. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

In my experience if you run at 240hz even if you do have some screen tearing it will only be displayed for 1/240 of a second which is hardly noticeable so I just kept my refreshrate at 240hz regardless. Now I have a 360hz which is even less noticeable if there is any screen tearing issues when each image is only displayed for 1/360 of a second. 

I'm seeing perfectly clear picture. Just go figure it best to keep vsync off. mine will tear if i limit the refresh itself in nvidia to 60 and not have vsync enabled. ect. it was confusing to learn without freesync because as of yesterday i had a 960 that couldnt do it at all.. lol. and originally the technology wasnt there to enable it gsync compatible. my whole build is so rigged up wrong. but now with a 1050ti it just works. 

You want V-Sync enabled on the driver level via Nvidia Control Panel, but turn it off in game. Keep the refresh rate at 240hz, the card will lower it on its own.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

36 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You want V-Sync enabled on the driver level via Nvidia Control Panel, but turn it off in game. Keep the refresh rate at 240hz, the card will lower it on its own.

halo pc has all kinds of wierd experimental features so i just let the application decide and then. vsync or limit refresh rate manually within the game itself. the adaptive refresh rate is the craziest thing. I had no idea monitors could even do that. 

11 hours ago, nelska said:

the adaptive refresh rate is the craziest thing. I had no idea monitors could even do that. 

It's a crucial part of any gaming monitor nowadays. Not even the highest-end PCs can guarantee to always feed the monitor 240 fps. And changing your refresh rate manually to what is expected for each game would just suck. FreeSync and G-Sync will always keep your fps and refresh rate in sync, which reduces stuttering and tearing to a minimum.

Just be sure to enable G-Sync compatibility and V-Sync (under 3D-settings) inside your Nvidia control panel. Then disable V-Sync ingame and you're good to go.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

It's a crucial part of any gaming monitor nowadays. Not even the highest-end PCs can guarantee to always feed the monitor 240 fps. And changing your refresh rate manually to what is expected for each game would just suck. FreeSync and G-Sync will always keep your fps and refresh rate in sync, which reduces stuttering and tearing to a minimum.

Just be sure to enable G-Sync compatibility and V-Sync (under 3D-settings) inside your Nvidia control panel. Then disable V-Sync ingame and you're good to go.

nicely, said. especially in games like halo the masterchief collection lmfao.