Steam Deck Expansion

Hey! I was just wondering what would be better experience wise when expanding the Steam Deck's storage.

The SD Card (UHS-I) slot meant for this can transfer up to "104 MB/s". But the USB-C connector on it should be able to go up to "2000MB/s"

How viable is using, say the Framework 1TB expansion card (or another small 1TB USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 drive). Instead of a 1TB SD Card. 'Cause where I live, SD cards get pretty expensive here, so I'm just looking for alternatives.

9 minutes ago, VerySadSquid said:

Hey! I was just wondering what would be better experience wise when expanding the Steam Deck's storage.

The eMMC SD Card slot meant for this can transfer up to "500MB/s". But the USB-C connector on it should be able to go up to "2000MB/s"

How viable is using, say the Framework 1TB expansion card (or another small 1TB USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 drive). Instead of a 1TB SD Card. 'Cause where I live, SD cards get pretty expensive here, so I'm just looking for alternatives.

eMMC and the SD card slot are two different types of storage. The eMMC is inside the device and will not be simply removable.

No-one knows for sure yet how the device will treat USB based storage for this purpose, but given it will be addressing it much like an SD card (again: not the same as eMMC, and definitely not the same speed) it will probably work.

25 minutes ago, whispous said:

eMMC and the SD card slot are two different types of storage. The eMMC is inside the device and will not be simply removable.

No-one knows for sure yet how the device will treat USB based storage for this purpose, but given it will be addressing it much like an SD card (again: not the same as eMMC, and definitely not the same speed) it will probably work.

Ohh my bad. I thought EMMC was the SD card slot. But from looking it up, the slot is even slower in comparison, being 104 MB/s.

You can of course use any USB removable storage.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 1 month later...

A buddy of mine pointed out that usb-c docks exist that have internal 22xx ssd compartments. One could have lots of fun with something like that.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:11 PM, MrCamoRing said:

A buddy of mine pointed out that usb-c docks exist that have internal 22xx ssd compartments. One could have lots of fun with something like that.

Those are meant for Desktops and Notebooks. Not something you hold in your hand to use.