Questions about freesync/gsync.

nelska

Does it change the physical refresh of the monitor? as its matched with vsync? so like if the monitor can do 240hz but the gpu is putting out 180fps. itll change the physical refresh rate instead of having to go into settings and lower it from 240hz to 120hz? ect. 

Let me start over. I have a freesync 240hz monitor. But its a gtx960 nvidia graphics card. So, it's cranked up to 240hz manually. The 960 cannot do freesync. But if I upgrade graphics cards. will I no longer have to go into control panel and adjust the refresh rate manually? I can't quite understand what freesync.. does. 

6 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

So basically all you have to do is make sure FreeSync or Gsync is enabled on your monitor and in your GPU driver settings and everything is taken care of automatically for you. 

seriously it automatically adjusts refresh rate.. lmfao! SO, I shouldnt even turn it any higher than 60hz without a freesync compatible gpu..

30 minutes ago, nelska said:

seriously it automatically adjusts refresh rate.. lmfao! SO, I shouldnt even turn it any higher than 60hz without a freesync compatible gpu..

Yes, minimum refrsh rate is usually 30 or 45hz, and it should work to the max refresh rate of the monitor. With a gsync card you must use displayport to get functionality.
But as long as you're in the range it will display at the rate the frames are being rendered, 60, 120, anywhere in between... it's quite the creature comfort.
there's vsync stuff for if/when frames rendered exceed the displays refresh capabilities it displays the most recent complete frame

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

Yes, minimum refrsh rate is usually 30 or 45hz, and it should work to the max refresh rate of the monitor. With a gsync card you must use displayport to get functionality.
But as long as you're in the range it will display at the rate the frames are being rendered, 60, 120, anywhere in between... it's quite the creature comfort.
there's vsync stuff for if/when frames rendered exceed the displays refresh capabilities it displays the most recent complete frame

If you could help im at a loss here because I have no options for gsync. in the nvidia control panel but I have heard anything over 7th gen gpus can do gsync. but my 960 is not compatible? i have a freesync enabled monitor k251qdmbiipx. and am just trying to get the two to variable refresh rate. If possible I will upgrade the gpu or just buy a gsync monitor. But, I duno which would be best. Because I duno if upgrading my gpu is necessary or if that will even be able to variable refresh rate. 

18 minutes ago, nelska said:

I can't quite understand what freesync.. does. 

It avoids tearing similar to V-Sync. But instead of tying the GPU's frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate, it adjusts the monitor's refresh rate to match the GPU's frame rate. So if your GPU can run at most at 180 fps, the monitor will run at 180 Hz to match it.

However, you'd have to check your monitor's limits. Most monitors can only do adaptive sync in a certain range (e.g. 30–144 Hz). If your card runs slower/faster than that, it'll be disabled. So you may actually have to limit fps to run with FreeSync.

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

If you could help im at a loss here because I have no options for gsync. in the nvidia control panel but I have heard anything over 7th gen gpus can do gsync.

Afaik you need a 10-series card (i.e. GTX 1xxx), so no the 960 does not support it. And while G-Sync cards can run on some FreeSync monitor's, not all of them are officially supported. You'd have to check if your monitor is marketed as G-Sync compatible.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It avoids tearing similar to V-Sync. But instead of tying the GPU's frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate, it adjusts the monitor's refresh rate to match the GPU's frame rate. So if your GPU can run at most at 180 fps, the monitor will run at 180 Hz to match it.

However, you'd have to check your monitor's limits. Most monitors can only do adaptive sync in a certain range (e.g. 30–144 Hz). If your card runs slower/faster than that, it'll be disabled. So you may actually have to limit fps to run with FreeSync.

Afaik you need a 10-series card (i.e. GTX 1xxx), so no the 960 does not support it. And while G-Sync cards can run on some FreeSync monitor's, not all of them are officially supported. You'd have to check if your monitor is marketed as G-Sync compatible.

So, I have a k251q dbmiipx. And I need a Gtx 1050ti. Which is the only nvidia card they currently have at my microcenter. lol. THANK YOU. 

5 minutes ago, nelska said:

So, I have a k251q dbmiipx. And I need a Gtx 1050ti. Which is the only nvidia card they currently have at my microcenter. lol. THANK YOU. 

Unless you can get it for basically free, you shouldn't get the 1050Ti, VRR is great but it isn't worth buying a new GPU that isn't going to bring any significant performance increase for it.

Save money for a newer GPU from the RTX3000 series from Nvidia or RX6000 series from AMD.

3 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Unless you can get it for basically free, you shouldn't get the 1050Ti, VRR is great but it isn't worth buying a new GPU that isn't going to bring any significant performance increase for it.

Save money for a newer GPU from the RTX3000 series from Nvidia or RX6000 series from AMD.

I mean if it can do variable refresh rate. I'm buying it the gtx 1050ti for 270 bucks at microcenter. the next level card costs like 900 dollars.

1 minute ago, nelska said:

I mean if it can do virtual refresh rate. I'm buying it the gtx 1050ti is 270 bucks at microcenter. the next level card costs like 900 dollars.

That is $200 more than what it should cost, and double what it was released for 5 years ago. It literally performs within 10% of the 960. VRR isn't magic, it only will avoid screen tearing by matching the monitor refresh rate to the framerate.

6 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

That is $200 more than what it should cost, and double what it was released for 5 years ago. It literally performs within 10% of the 960. VRR isn't magic, it only will avoid screen tearing by matching the monitor refresh rate to the framerate.

I KNOW! I have a game called halo the mastercheif collection and you have to change the refresh rate for every other matchmaking experience because the matchmaking is in a pool of all 5 halo games. So, if you get halo ce you have to turn it up physically in control panel to 240hz. and if you get halo 2 anniversary for example its been remastered so you have to physically disable 240hz refresh rate to 60hz. so its a chore. match after match after match. if you would. variable  refresh rate would solve all this for me. 

EDIT: btw, does anyone KNOW if these two are even compatible for variable refresh rate capabilities. 

12 minutes ago, nelska said:

I KNOW! I have a game called halo the mastercheif collection and you have to change the refresh rate for every other matchmaking experience because the matchmaking is in a pool of all 5 halo games. So, if you get halo ce you have to turn it up physically in control panel to 240hz. and if you get halo 2 anniversary for example its been remastered so you have to physically disable 240hz refresh rate to 60hz. so its a chore. match after match after match. if you would. variable  refresh rate would solve all this for me. 

EDIT: btw, does anyone KNOW if these two are even compatible for variable refresh rate capabilities. 

That's not what variable refresh rate does. It won't change your monitor's refresh rate to match the "correct" frame rate for the game. It means that the screen will refresh only when it gets a full frame from the GPU, preventing screen tearing or frame doubling. It has absolutely nothing to do with changing your maximum refresh rate like you need to do for MCC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

That's not what variable refresh rate does. It won't change your monitor's refresh rate to match the "correct" frame rate for the game. It means that the screen will refresh only when it gets a full frame from the GPU, preventing screen tearing or frame doubling. It has absolutely nothing to do with changing your maximum refresh rate like you need to do for MCC.

it automatically syncs the hz of the monitor to the output of the gpu. so if im switching to a more intense match it will lower the physical refresh rate from 240hz down to 30hz as the frames drop. so I would set it to 240hz. but it wouldnt be a face full of crap when the game switches itself up dramatically. graphically. in say like a banshee.

Freesync vs no Freesync - YouTube