graphics card doesn't show up in task manager and shows x2 in device manager

Enderg312

I have a Ati Radeon HD 3870 in a computer and if I go to device manager it shows I got two of them in the computer. Also if I go to task manager the graphics card doesn't show up in their, how do I fix all this?

The extra device manager entry doesn't matter if the card is working.

The HD 3870 is too old to support GPU monitoring with Windows 10's task manager. It needs to support WDDM 2.0, and the HD 3870 doesn't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

also , the 3870 showing up as two devices is an old artifact from the mid 2000s where gpu's would show an entry for every display output. the 3870 probably has two dvi ports so it'll show two entries for the card.

But yeah...... was there something specific you needed this 14 year old gpu to do?

To play video games without it acting up. It keeps giving low fps on lower end games.

1 minute ago, Enderg312 said:

To play video games without it acting up. It keeps giving low fps on lower end games.

that would be expected as the gpu was released during the windows xp/vista era and was not in any way designed to be used on a machine a decade and a half later.

windows 10 only uses a generic microsoft driver for ATI cards that old as nobody even in 2015 was expected to try to use one. ideally you should be running a much older os like windows 7 and be playing old disk copies of games from that era in sub 1080p as thats what the card was made to do. It's not suppose to or ever to be expected to work in a modern machine.