Clogged Toilet and Dirty Water Coming Out At Bottom?

paulyron

So just recently I notice I have a big issue with my toilet.  Previously when my toilet gets clogged, i use the toilet plunger and then it gets unclogged.  But this time, its still clogged.  And yes I have made the mistake of putting too much paper into the toilet bowl before flushing.  But everytime I did this and the toilet is clogged, the plunger fixed the issue.

Now the issue is not only is my toilet clogged... but when I use the plunger while flushing it, I notice dirty water coming out from both the bottom of the toilet like at the floor base... but also like this thing that squirts water coming out as well.  Im not sure the term of it but im sure most of you know what im talking about?  It literally looks like water coming out from those public water fountains if you know what i mean.  But not only that... the water is really dirty and dark.  And from what I check online, this is apparently sewage water?

But not only that... the sewage water is now in the shower drain area... I don't have bathtub just a standing shower... and all that dirty water doesn't seem to go down the shower drain in the floor.  Anyone have advice on this?  I did pour some hot boiling water and also some baking soda and vinegar and it doesn't seem to do much.  Its like a puddle of dirty water there and it doesn't seem to go down the shower drain on the floor.

I will let my landlord know and have the plumber come and check on this issue as this is obviously an issue i cannot fix myself.  

But any advice/tips on this before the plumber comes?  The plumber will probably be here next week so this issue will be like this for another few days.   How do i get rid of that dirty water that is like a puddle in my shower floor in the bathroom?  Do i just take bucket and pick the water up and then pour it down the toilet?  Then again... the toilet is clogged as well.  So I can't even really take a shower now because of it.  

Does this sound like I would need a new toilet?  Also i notice there are like water sounds i could sort of hear as well since this happened.  So there is a blockage somewhere in the toilet?  When i turn on the sink and the shower in the bathroom and the sink in the kitchen, the water does appear clean though.  So it shouldn't affect the water coming out of there right?  Or is it all connected?

Thanks.  

4 minutes ago, paulyron said:

And yes I have made the mistake of putting too much paper into the toilet bowl before flushing. 

And thats how you make massive clog. Even in plumbings that have no problem with toilet papers i still dont flush my toilet paper down.

6 minutes ago, paulyron said:

But any advice/tips on this before the plumber comes?  The plumber will probably be here next week so this issue will be like this for another few days.

Well, get a liquid pipe cleaner would be the first thing that i wouldve used, but if you got a strong baking soda and it wont budge, it probably wont work that well.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I don't know how people don't put any toilet paper in the toilet bowl.  I would find that very hard as there would be a very bad smell.  But yea i put way too much paper in it and its clogged.  Again i did this many times and a plunger fixed it... but this time it didn't.  So is there anything i could pour into my toilet to maybe make it better before i contact my landlord for the plumber to come?  Like vinegar and baking soda or that won't help?

Well i poured some baking soda and hot boiling water and vineger into the shower drain and there is still a puddle of dirty water in the shower drain.

Do you know what will most likely happen then?

19 minutes ago, paulyron said:

So just recently I notice I have a big issue with my toilet.  Previously when my toilet gets clogged, i use the toilet plunger and then it gets unclogged.  But this time, its still clogged.  And yes I have made the mistake of putting too much paper into the toilet bowl before flushing.  But everytime I did this and the toilet is clogged, the plunger fixed the issue.

Now the issue is not only is my toilet clogged... but when I use the plunger while flushing it, I notice dirty water coming out from both the bottom of the toilet like at the floor base... but also like this thing that squirts water coming out as well.  Im not sure the term of it but im sure most of you know what im talking about?  It literally looks like water coming out from those public water fountains if you know what i mean.  But not only that... the water is really dirty and dark.  And from what I check online, this is apparently sewage water?

But not only that... the sewage water is now in the shower drain area... I don't have bathtub just a standing shower... and all that dirty water doesn't seem to go down the shower drain in the floor.  Anyone have advice on this?  I did pour some hot boiling water and also some baking soda and vinegar and it doesn't seem to do much.  Its like a puddle of dirty water there and it doesn't seem to go down the shower drain on the floor.

I will let my landlord know and have the plumber come and check on this issue as this is obviously an issue i cannot fix myself.  

But any advice/tips on this before the plumber comes?  The plumber will probably be here next week so this issue will be like this for another few days.   How do i get rid of that dirty water that is like a puddle in my shower floor in the bathroom?  Do i just take bucket and pick the water up and then pour it down the toilet?  Then again... the toilet is clogged as well.  So I can't even really take a shower now because of it.  

Does this sound like I would need a new toilet?  Also i notice there are like water sounds i could sort of hear as well since this happened.  So there is a blockage somewhere in the toilet?  When i turn on the sink and the shower in the bathroom and the sink in the kitchen, the water does appear clean though.  So it shouldn't affect the water coming out of there right?  Or is it all connected?

Thanks.  

You don't.

You have a professional fix it.  And this topic is 10 kinds of utter gross.

And the reason water leaks from the bottom of a toilet is due to a faulty O ring seal.  That will also need to be replaced, which means they need to remove the toilet too.  You're going to have a good time.

That must be some really messed up thing you did to damage the O ring seal.  But the shower also getting affected...you may need to stay in a motel for a day or so because that's going to take them some time to fix.  And then someone is going to have to sanitize the entire mess that is left over (and hope none of it drips on the carpet, if you have any).

Okay so i just noticed after pouring some vineger and baking soda into the toilet and then using the plunger, the same thing happens... dirty water coming out of the toilet base on the floor but also that other part that is like spitting water out.  What is the term for that?  Its like a thing in the bottom of the toilet in the back?

But not only that... when I was using the plunger while flushing it... I notice sounds coming from the sink next to it... in the bathroom.  So thus i clogged that as well or not?  The thing is the water coming from the bathroom sink and the shower is still clear water.  So there should be no dirty water coming from there right?  Also is this sewage water that is coming out?  And do you know why this puddle of sewage water isn't just going down the shower drain?

Are you one hundred percent sure they going to need to replace the toilet?  Or its possible it will just be that o ring seal?  Again i do not know anything about this so i will have the landlord call the plumber. 

Do you have a clue of how long it will take to get this all fixed?  I don't have any carpet. 

But this really would take more than one day?  I thought installing a toilet wouldn't take more than a few hours.  

But is there a way to know if the water in the sink bathroom and shower and the sink in the kitchen is affected by this?

Wait would it be necessary for me to be out of the apartment for a day though if they were to do all this if it takes more than a day?  The thing is many times when the plumber or anyone comes... they usually are done in a few hours.  Or if it takes a few days... they usually leave that day and come back the next day to finish the job.  I mean like painting for example.  I had this done when i wasn't in my apartment and the landlord had someone to open my apartment for them to do the work.

But if they have to install a new toilet and all these things, wouldn't that still mean I could stay in the apartment?  Like say they do the work for few hours... then leave and come back tomorrow.... there is no issue of me being in the apartment when they are doing the work and me going to sleep in the apartment before they come back the next day right?

20 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Okay so i just noticed after pouring some vineger and baking soda into the toilet and then using the plunger, the same thing happens... dirty water coming out of the toilet base on the floor but also that other part that is like spitting water out.  What is the term for that?  Its like a thing in the bottom of the toilet in the back?

But not only that... when I was using the plunger while flushing it... I notice sounds coming from the sink next to it... in the bathroom.  So thus i clogged that as well or not?  The thing is the water coming from the bathroom sink and the shower is still clear water.  So there should be no dirty water coming from there right?  Also is this sewage water that is coming out?  And do you know why this puddle of sewage water isn't just going down the shower drain?

Are you one hundred percent sure they going to need to replace the toilet?  Or its possible it will just be that o ring seal?  Again i do not know anything about this so i will have the landlord call the plumber. 

Do you have a clue of how long it will take to get this all fixed?  I don't have any carpet. 

But this really would take more than one day?  I thought installing a toilet wouldn't take more than a few hours.  

But is there a way to know if the water in the sink bathroom and shower and the sink in the kitchen is affected by this?

Christ quote the fucking commenter, i feel bad looking at you like talking to a wall.

21 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Ive had toilet repair before, and it depends on how long will you give the plumber to work on it. For me it took me 3 days, but its all good because my house have more bathrooms on other bedroom. You really gonna need a place to poo/shower for those days theyre fixing things.

22 minutes ago, paulyron said:

On a rent, nobody bloody knows. Plumbing can be connected to a lot of things and you can accidentally break things out of proportion by trying to figure things out.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Voice said:

Draino will eat the pipes and make more problems.

Depends on the pipe type, thats why i dont recommend messing about on rental plumbing on my 2nd comment post.

5 hours ago, paulyron said:

Sounds like the sinks, shower, toilet may all be on the same pipes and you've clogged it far down at a common point. This was common here as well in old buildings. New ones typically have separate piping for sink/shower water and toilet stuff nowadays. The solution will probably be a (long) drain snake, but all we can say is wait for the plumber.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

If you're constantly using the plunger and admit to putting too much paper in there why don't you just flush more often?  As has been said the wax gasket has definitely shifted/broken from all the pressure from the plunger and if parts of it has gone down the toilet that just adds to the problem.  

You probably had a clog in the toilet.

That clog migrated out of the toilet into the drain pipe.

All the drains in your bathroom ultimately go into one drain pipe.

If the clog is in that pipe, it would affect your sink, your toilet, and your shower.

If it's just affecting two of them, like your shower and your toilet, then it's before the sink merges into that drain.

Usually the toilet drain is the biggest, followed by the shower drain, then the sink drain. Where they merge together it's usually 6" diameter pipe or so.

The bad news is it's probably not going to fix itself.

The good news is any plumber can easily fix it.

What they'll do is first, pull up your toilet. Since it's leaking at the base, they'll have to replace the wax ring where the toilet meets the drain pipe at the floor. That's why you've got water coming out of the base, the wax ring is leaking.

Then they'll run a snake (that's what it's called) or drain-jet in that pipe, which will easily clear the blockage.

My guess is about an hour of work, maybe another hour of cleanup. If it was your own house it would be easy to do, I would have done it myself. But since it's an apartment, yeah, have them do it.

I'd watch them, for next time, you'll see how it works, it's pretty easy.

4 hours ago, tikker said:

Sounds like the sinks, shower, toilet may all be on the same pipes and you've clogged it far down at a common point. This was common here as well in old buildings. New ones typically have separate piping for sink/shower water and toilet stuff nowadays. The solution will probably be a (long) drain snake, but all we can say is wait for the plumber.

Hey.  Yes its an old building.  

So overnight, I notice some water went into the shower drain but there is still a good puddle of dirty water/sewage water there.  Can anyone here confirm this is in fact sewage water?  Or its just dirty water?  Not only that, I notice when i turn on my bathroom sink... water is dripped from under the pipes onto the floor.  That has to be all related then right?  Thing is i rarely use the bathroom sink ever... i mainly use the shower faucet for water in the bathroom or the kitchen sink if in kitchen.

I do flush but many times im lazy and get too much toilet paper there.  Yes i know that is a mistake of mine and i done it a lot.  But the plunger always solved the issue when the toilet wouldn't flush... except now.

I was told the plumber will be here sooner than i expected as oppose to a few days.  

So I will tell him everthing that is said here.  Anyone else i should let him know or ask?

And do you believe the toilet has to be replaced based on what was mentioned by someone else?  I will of course ask that guy this... i dont speak the language but use google translate.

Also what is the name of the thing in like the back left end of the toilet where water squirts out?  That and under the toilet base is where water comes out when i put the plunger in and flush at the same time.

Obviously after this, I will make sure i flush much more and don't put too much paper into it.  Also I didn't notice i wrote this earlier but I also put in bounty paper in the toilet as well which is another mistake of mine.  But whether its too much toilet paper or bounty paper, is it still the same or its much worst now?  Few times i forgot and then just put bounty in the toilet.  And few times i got lazy and tossed a few in there because i thought... well the plunger will fix the issue. Until now the shower drain is clogged and water coming from under the toilet issue.

Also the sounds that im hearing overnight... i hear like water sounds.  Is that suppose to happen?  I started hearing these sounds like few days ago.  I did ask the landlord if anyone in our building has any issue with their bathroom and was told no.  I ask this since i was wondering if the clogged pipes could affect other people in the building like above/below me.  It shouldn't right?

43 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Also what is the name of the thing in like the back left end of the toilet where water squirts out?  That and under the toilet base is where water comes out when i put the plunger in and flush at the same time.

Obviously after this, I will make sure i flush much more and don't put too much paper into it.  Also I didn't notice i wrote this earlier but I also put in bounty paper in the toilet as well which is another mistake of mine.  But whether its too much toilet paper or bounty paper, is it still the same or its much worst now?  Few times i forgot and then just put bounty in the toilet.  And few times i got lazy and tossed a few in there because i thought... well the plunger will fix the issue. Until now the shower drain is clogged and water coming from under the toilet issue.

Also the sounds that im hearing overnight... i hear like water sounds.  Is that suppose to happen?  I started hearing these sounds like few days ago.  I did ask the landlord if anyone in our building has any issue with their bathroom and was told no.  I ask this since i was wondering if the clogged pipes could affect other people in the building like above/below me.  It shouldn't right?

No offense but you are a brutal toilet operator.

Never, ever put any kind of paper towel into the toilet. Bounty, generic brown paper towels, etc.

You need to stop asking us questions and speak to your Landlord and the plumber ASAP about this stuff.

No, we cannot tell you if the brown water is sewage vs just dirty water. It's effectively the same thing, just depends on whether water from the sewers is being backed up into your unit, or your own piss and shit-water is being backed up. Either way, it's piss and shit that makes it look dirty.

If you have a shop vac (also known as a wet/dry vac), use that to suck up any liquid.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Never, ever put any kind of paper towel into the toilet. Bounty, generic brown paper towels, etc.

Oh lol. I was thinking they were talking about the bounty chocolate bar wrappers, but yeah toilet paper is designed specifically for toilet purposes and falls apart quickly in water to prevent these clogs. If they're flushing comparatively indestructible paper towels than a clog isn't that surprising.

50 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Also the sounds that im hearing overnight... i hear like water sounds.  Is that suppose to happen?  I started hearing these sounds like few days ago.

(Clogged) pipes can make sound. If pipes run through your ceiling like I've had in some offices then you may also hear flowing water.

Honestly the best you can do is maybe try drain cleaner if that can even reach the clog (I doubt it since it sounds pretty full even beyond the traps) and the plunger every now and then. Other than that, it's cleanup and wait for a plumber.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

The plumbers are here now... and they seem to have a very tough time with the issue.  They are using the plunger in the shower drain but the water doesn't go down.

Again i dont speak the language so im using google tranlsate with them.  

What should i ask them now?

4 minutes ago, paulyron said:

The plumbers are here now... and they seem to have a very tough time with the issue.  They are using the plunger in the shower drain but the water doesn't go down.

Again i dont speak the language so im using google tranlsate with them.  

What should i ask them now?

Ask them to fix it. It's up to them on how.

This is between your Landlord and the plumbers now - though make sure they do fix the problem.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So this is what is happening.  They took a long stick... think thats a snake into the shower drain.  They seem to get some paper out... looks like the bounty towel i put in the toilet last time.  So that is at least good right?  But now they are still using the plunger in the shower drain.  

Should they be doing that first before looking at the toilet?  I did tell them when flushing toilet, it doesn't flush and water goes back up.

Again im using google translate with them as i cant speak the language.  Landlord is not here now and wont be back till later.  But i want to know if they are doing the right steps.  

9 minutes ago, paulyron said:

But i want to know if they are doing the right steps.  

They're (presumably) professionals. You are not, and neither is anybody else here unless I missed a reply where someone said "Yeah I've been a plumber for 30 years, you wouldn't believe some of the unimaginable foulness I've dealt with."

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

41 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

No offense but you are a brutal toilet operator.

Exactly. I'd make it even stricter: toilets are meant for human waste + toilet paper (in reasonable quantities). 

1 hour ago, paulyron said:

Also I didn't notice i wrote this earlier but I also put in bounty paper in the toilet as well which is another mistake of mine.  But whether its too much toilet paper or bounty paper, is it still the same or its much worst now?  Few times i forgot and then just put bounty in the toilet.  And few times i got lazy and tossed a few in there because i thought... well the plunger will fix the issue. Until now the shower drain is clogged and water coming from under the toilet issue.

Why are you putting paper towel into a toilet???

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

3 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Exactly. I'd make it even stricter: toilets are meant for human waste + toilet paper (in reasonable quantities). 

Oh for sure, Paper Towel is by all means not the only item you should avoid putting in a toilet.

As you said, primarily for human waste, and if sewer connected, toilet paper.

Okay i like to get feedback on this.  

So after they took the snake stick and put that in the shower drain and got what looked to be like some paper towel out, they continued to use the plunger.  Then they took out the shower drain... the thing that covers it.  Now the water does go down the shower drain.  They also took a broom and swept the dirty water and put it in the garbage.

The thing is after all this was done... the toilet flushed.  Is that normal?  I am very confused by this.  I thought after they fixed the water not going down the shower drain, they had to unclog the toilet.  But the toilet pretty much flushed after they fixed the shower drain?  Can someone explain this?

Also remember when i said when i turned on the sink water, i notice water leaking from the pipes under the sink?  Now it doesn't anymore.

So does this all make sense?  Im confused by this as i thought they had to unclog the toilet or fix the toilet after the shower drain.  I know these things are related... but can someone tell me how this happened?

Also to the person that said you would need to replace the O Ring Seal and the toilet... well they didn't do anything to the toilet.  At the moment since the toilet flushes and i dont have to use the plunger... should i test to see if water still comes out from the bottom of the toilet?

The reason why i ask this is because here in this country... i was told the people who do work here... whether plumbling, electricity or painting, they don't do a great job compared to like how its done in the US.  But this guy has come many times whether electricity or plumbing and he fixed the issue.  But i wanted to know if what he did today was the correct way... or it was like the cheaper way to fix it without buying new toilet etc?

Also they used a ton of clorox and water and cleaned the bathroom floor.  Basically poured the clorox and water into the floor.  That is the right way to clean/sanitize it right?

They just left and since I saw the water goes down the shower drain and the toilet flushes and there doesn't seem to be water leaking from under the sink when you turn it on... i figure that is good?  They do come to our building a few times a month to fix plumbling issues.

My concern is when someone said they needed to replace the o ring seal in the toilet and the toilet itself... but the guys never even did anything to the toilet etc...

1 minute ago, paulyron said:

Also they used a ton of clorox and water and cleaned the bathroom floor.  Basically poured the clorox and water into the floor.  That is the right way to clean/sanitize it right?

Well you did cover your floor with poop and pee water so... Yes, bleaching it would be wise?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade