Suggestions for My Gaming & Programming Build

Enigmatic Runner

Budget (including currency): $2400 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

• Modern AAA Gaming at 1440p, at least 60 FPS at ultra or higher/max settings;
  • Programming (Health Informatics i.e. datasets and data processing)

Other details:

My current selection on PCPartPicker: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JKNT2V

• The parts listed at $0 are things I'm reusing from my old build.
  • The PSU (Corsair AX860 non-i version) being reused is 8 years old, should I be concerned about reusing this? It is/was one of their premium 80+ platinum offerings from back in the day...
  • RAM choice was just me choosing something on the motherboard's QVL so I can hopefully reach the RAM specs. During browsing I did see some other choices that is CL16 instead of CL18 for like $20-40 more, would that be worthwhile?
  • Motherboard choice was mainly USB ports considerations (and BIOS flashback in case for the CPU)
  • Case choice is flexible - I'm going for something more silent; hence I just chose the P600s since it has fairly good reviews, has a USB-C port, has a GPU anti-sag bracket, has included HDD brackets for my 3.5" drives (I only listed 2 HDDs in the PCPP link but I'm debating whether to keep or retire another WD Black that I'm currently using

Thanks for any suggestions all!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($498.50 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($62.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($204.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($179.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($121.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($799.99) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair AX 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($0.00) 
Total: $1988.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-09 21:12 EDT-0400

MOBO, CPU, RAM -

So the motherboard you originally picked is incredibly overkill. X570 is a chipset you don’t need and a good B550 board will get the job done at a much lower price. 

With the money saved, I added a 5800x, although if you want a 5600x go ahead. 

3600 CL18 - CL16 isn’t that necessary. 3200 CL16 is good enough, you can attempt a basic OC on the RAM if you want.

Downgraded SSD to an A2000, slower drive but still good and is $40 CAD cheaper. 

Went with a 4000D for the case. The P600S doesn’t have the greatest airflow. This is flexible so you can also go for the P360A, P400A, P500A, etc.

For the PSU, I would personally not reuse it for a long period of time, but if you just want to test out the components with that PSU then that is fine.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

52 minutes ago, Downkey said:

3600 CL18 - CL16 isn’t that necessary. 3200 CL16 is good enough, you can attempt a basic OC on the RAM if you want.

Thanks for the response! 

Follow-up question about the RAM: In some of my use case scenarios, a colleague of mine doing the same stuff got 10-20% more performance upgrading from 3200 to 3600, which is why I initially chose a 3600 speed one, but in her case both sets were CL16 which is why I asked about the CL18 difference. In my Google searching, I'm getting a mixed bag of answers that the difference regarding CL is negligible, or that speed matters more in real-world practice. The PCPP list was made a while ago and I just noticed that there's a 3600 set (but CL18) for just $10 more than the one you suggested so would that be worth it? I'm thinking yes but the uncertainty about the CL makes me hesitant.

2 hours ago, Enigmatic Runner said:

Thanks for the response! 

Follow-up question about the RAM: In some of my use case scenarios, a colleague of mine doing the same stuff got 10-20% more performance upgrading from 3200 to 3600, which is why I initially chose a 3600 speed one, but in her case both sets were CL16 which is why I asked about the CL18 difference. In my Google searching, I'm getting a mixed bag of answers that the difference regarding CL is negligible, or that speed matters more in real-world practice. The PCPP list was made a while ago and I just noticed that there's a 3600 set (but CL18) for just $10 more than the one you suggested so would that be worth it? I'm thinking yes but the uncertainty about the CL makes me hesitant.

3600 CL18 have almost exactly same performance as 3200 CL16, But on Ryzen CPUs fast ram does make noticable difference, So going for 3600 CL16 isn't bad idea.

@Downkey

Why is  reusing power supply bad idea? It's one of the parts, If you buy good quality you can use for years 😄 and that power supply is corsair platinum. 

17 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

@Downkey

Why is  reusing power supply bad idea? It's one of the parts, If you buy good quality you can use for years 😄 and that power supply is corsair platinum. 

It's 8 years old, probably fine for a bit but long term it's not great reusing it. Also "Corsair Platinum" doesn't make it a top of the line PSU.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

21 hours ago, Downkey said:

The P600S doesn’t have the greatest airflow. 

Remove the front panel and the airflow is perfectly fine. 

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DHb6Cz

Maybe something like this?

~950ca for the gpu so maybe you can snatch a 3070(ti)

Upgraded cpu since i was able to cut a ton of cost on other parts

Fortunately, I've actually already got the 3070 Ti from a Best Buy drop a few days ago! 

The P400A that you suggested for the case won't be ideal though since I would appreciate having a USB type-C on the front I/O. Especially since the motherboard you suggested has the type C header on it for use with such a case - I might end up choosing that motherboard though so super thanks for that suggestion!

On 9/9/2021 at 9:17 PM, Downkey said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($204.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Went with a 4000D for the case. The P600S doesn’t have the greatest airflow. This is flexible so you can also go for the P360A, P400A, P500A, etc.

The case's type C port will be unusable with that motherboard since it doesn't have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 header according to PCPP and from what I could see in the manual. Is there an adapter to convert the motherboard's USB 3.1 Gen 1 header for use with the front panel connector? I tried searching and found this, is something like that what I need? I've never really seen this before...

8 hours ago, Downkey said:

It's 8 years old, probably fine for a bit but long term it's not great reusing it. Also "Corsair Platinum" doesn't make it a top of the line PSU.

I definitely missed it being 8 years old 😆