Affordable mechanical keyboard?

JoshB2084

What is a good mechanical or optical keyboard for typing? I'm a mechanical noob, this will be my first experience using a mechanical keyboard. Need somewhat affordable 60% to 65% and must have the arrow keys.

Update: I decided to bring steering wheel back, and my membrane keyboard is crap out. So I need a new keyboard badly.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

There is no point in trying to purchase a mechanical keyboard specifically for racing games if you are intending to use the keyboard to drive the car. Any keyboard will be equally bad compared to a racing wheel or even a gamepad. Binary inputs and racing games more complex than Mario Kart don't mix. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

What keyboard doesn't matter really. Any keyboard will be equally bad for racing games as you will only have 0 or 100% input instead of the gradual control you need in almost any racing game.

Wooting boards are objectively the best for racing games because the switches can function as analog controls and emulate a controller. That being said, either a real controller or a dedicated wheel/pedal combo would be ideal.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I have a cerebral palsy, My left hand is lost in focus and weaken.  I had wheel/pedal combo, but  hardly used it. Joysticks, gamepads with analog sticks  are out of options.  That's why I using arrows keys more....

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

4 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

I have a cerebral palsy, My left hand is lost in focus and weaken.  I had wheel/pedal combo, but  hardly used it. Joysticks, gamepads with analog sticks  are out of options.  That's why I using arrows keys more....

Then short of the exotic keyboard kelvinhall05 mentioned above with analog key switches, it doesn't matter. Any other type of keyboard is just a binary on/off input with a slightly different actuation feel. Go to a store like Micro Center, test some of the keyboards on display, pick the type of switch you like best but don't expect it to make any appreciable difference in how well you can play. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

for a game like racing, the difference between mechanical and membrane will be nearly zero.  Just get a decent keyboard you like.  

If you're unfamiliar with the different keyboard witches, pick up a switch tester online and play with it.  (Or see what Best Buy or something has out to play with)

IF, you want to use a keyboard for driving/racing games, you should look getting one with Analog control so it has some degree of flexibility instead of either on or off and nothing between. Analog ones will give you steps you can use to determine the degree of turn like you would with say a race wheel or controller joysticks. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

39 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

IF, you want to use a keyboard for driving/racing games

I have played racing games with keyboard for almost 30 years, i have no problem with it. Why everyone against it?

Just now, JoshB2084 said:

I have played racing games with keyboard for almost 30 years, i have no problem with it. Why everyone against it?

Not natural and can be very very hard to control and the level of precision isn't there. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, JoshB2084 said:

Because it is simply not possible to accurately and precisely replicate analog controls (like a gas pedal or a steering wheel) with binary/digital controls that can only be either fully on or fully off. In a real car you don't drive with your foot either completely off the accelerator pedal or mashed all the way to the floor with no in between.

In older, more arcade-style racing games it was possible to do OK, and I'm sure if you're used to it that helps. But you will never be able to play as well as an equally skilled person using analog controls. 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

In older, more arcade-style racing games it was possible to do OK, and I'm sure if you're used to it that helps. But you will never be able to play as well as an equally skilled person using analog controls. 

OK, I guess I should back to steering wheel, but arcade-style racing games doesn't play nice with steering wheel for me.

2 hours ago, Betterthanever said:

A good racing steering wheel and pedals is what you should be looking for at the end of the day though 😉 I know what I am saying as I used to Play DIRT Rally with such a set and I won't forget it back 16 years ago... 🙂

I have Thrustmaster TMX somewhere in my house. I will bring it back.

Sorry,  please read OP again. And thank you.

5 hours ago, Betterthanever said:

Ok, then if you are just looking for a good keyboard without fireworks then I can honestly recommend you the one I use currently:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Dedicated-Controls-Spill-Resistant/dp/B01K48R5V4

Works well for me for everyday usage.

Mmm, I'm afraid that it might be no room for that G213, my desktop is 23in deep. My TMX is sort of big.  Any other suggestions?