Blackmagic pocket 4K + Zoom (Help)

Ram Satesh

Hi there, my company runs online courses for high school kids via Zoom and we are looking to upgrade our setup. 

Right now we're using the Sony A6000, hooked up an old laptop through a cheap Chinese HDMI capture card. 

We're looking to seriously upgrade our setup. We're looking to use it for Zoom meetings + YouTube. 

So here's my plan, due to bandwidth & software limit, our streaming via zoom will only be at 1080p, 60fps. So naturally, I am looking to up the colour game as our the colours on the video for our previous setup was pretty blend. 

So I thought of getting the Blackmagic Pocket 4K. Since it's the cheapest option to shoot in raw and it has this feature where it can record internally whilst simultaneously streaming. My question is, will I be able to colour grade on the camera LIVE, to make the stream popping for the students?

My main concern is the camera, and your input and suggestion is highly appreciated. I'll leave the list of things I will be getting for my setup. 

- Blackmagic Pocket 4K
- Elgato Camlink
- Rode Lavalier Mic
- Softbox
- Keylights

23 minutes ago, Ram Satesh said:

Hi there, my company runs online courses for high school kids via Zoom and we are looking to upgrade our setup. 

Right now we're using the Sony A6000, hooked up an old laptop through a cheap Chinese HDMI capture card. 

We're looking to seriously upgrade our setup. We're looking to use it for Zoom meetings + YouTube. 

So here's my plan, due to bandwidth & software limit, our streaming via zoom will only be at 1080p, 60fps. So naturally, I am looking to up the colour game as our the colours on the video for our previous setup was pretty blend. 

So I thought of getting the Blackmagic Pocket 4K. Since it's the cheapest option to shoot in raw and it has this feature where it can record internally whilst simultaneously streaming. My question is, will I be able to colour grade on the camera LIVE, to make the stream popping for the students?

My main concern is the camera, and your input and suggestion is highly appreciated. I'll leave the list of things I will be getting for my setup. 

- Blackmagic Pocket 4K
- Elgato Camlink
- Rode Lavalier Mic
- Softbox
- Keylights

Not sure about doing it in Cam, but it can be done in OBS, then use the OBS output as the zoom feed.

2 hours ago, Ram Satesh said:

Since it's the cheapest option to shoot in raw

This isn't the case for live video out. You just get normal rgb/ycbcr video output. 

2 hours ago, Ram Satesh said:

My question is, will I be able to colour grade on the camera LIVE, to make the stream popping for the students?

Not on the software, but lots of broad cast software supports these adjustments

Your a6000 can probably do much better color changes via picture profiles on the camera. Id try adjusting that first.

Can you show an example shot? I wouldn't buy a new camera here, Id just get the better lights, and make the changes in the a6000. The cameras aren't great for your use case here.

• 2 weeks later...