Don’t buy from MSI

Hi everyone,
I need your opinion and help in this subject because I don’t know what to do and I feel stuck. Rn I’m having trouble with MSI and they don’t seem to care because I am just one person. I hope you guys can somehow help me and be my voice.  I bought a MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT Gaming X little over a year ago and had problems with it from the start. I’ve sent it to the authorized service shop of MSI and got approval for RMA. They told me to contact the retailer. When I did, they said they are out of stock and they are going to issue a refund. The refund is the same amount I bought it for a year ago and with that money I literally can’t buy any GPUs rn. I contacted MSI and they claim they can’t do anything about it and I should just take the money. How does this makes sense? I’m cardless because of a defective MSI product and they don’t replace it or componsate it. I need help and I need my voice to be heard.
I’ll also attach my conversation with MSI below in which you can find more details. I don’t find MSI’s approach customer friendly and in return I’m robbed off of a card and the money that would compensate it. Thank you.

270FBE24-D719-4687-8D10-3D481426EEE1.jpeg

49372650-2028-4451-A0B4-CDB5E7F3418F.jpeg

6DD35045-7BB4-4C13-B2E9-B18F9685C44E.jpeg

B110DE34-7969-428B-9179-FF98CD5B7208.jpeg

DB7F6E66-1E7C-4F54-92CC-83DFED9AFB8A.jpeg

The support is right in that this is how every brand handles this. If they can't replace it immediately, they will offer a refund. But like you said it's most likely not enough to buy the same GPU in todays market. But again, this behavior is not exclusive to MSI. It's everyone right now.

The only things you can do is to keep pressing for a replacement (with your retailer) or to accept your loss and take the refund.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 minutes ago, kutaytekerek said:
They told me to contact the retailer. When I did, they said they are out of stock and they are going to issue a refund. The refund is the same amount I bought it for a year ago and with that money I literally can’t buy any GPUs rn.

I hear what you say, and I understand how annoying it must be, but why should the store refund you more money than you gave to them? That does not make sense. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

11 minutes ago, kutaytekerek said:

I’m cardless because of a defective MSI product and they don’t replace it or componsate it.

They are offering compensation by providing you a full refund for what you paid for it - which is exactly what you are entitled to if the product was defective.

This isn't really an issue with MSI. You'd likely be facing the same issue if it was any other brand.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, kutaytekerek said:

I contacted MSI and they claim they can’t do anything about it and I should just take the money. How does this makes sense?

Because they dont have the product? RMAs relies on product availability to work, if they dont have the product the procedure is to either substitute with the next generation of the same card or straight cash.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

It's fair for them to refund you. I also had a similar thing with Sapphire. Had to RMA it through retailer, been in repair for 2 months and it was out of repair so they gave me a refund. After talking to the retailer they finally replaced it with an MSI version of the same GPU, but it took some work. You can try that too.

you are being treated completely fairly. You are lucky to even be offered a full refund if out of regular warranty period. In USA we wouldn't even get a refund. count your blessings. 

Everybody else would do the same thing. I'm not sure what else you expect them to do. The model of card you had before almost certainly isn't even being produced anymore. Do you want them to refund you more than you initially paid because it takes more money to buy a card now? Refunds aren't based on fluctuating market conditions, otherwise under normal circumstances you would get back less than you originally paid because cards would depreciate over 18 months. I guess it would be nice for them to offer you a brand new 6000-series card but they may or may not even have those in stock and that's really asking them to go above and beyond. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 9/9/2021 at 11:35 AM, BetteBalterZen said:

I hear what you say, and I understand how annoying it must be, but why should the store refund you more money than you gave to them? That does not make sense. 

I hear what you say as well but if they had the card, I would have a more valuable item on my hand then the refund. Also shouldn’t I be able to buy the same card from another retailer with the refund money I got? In this circumstance, I can’t. I also understand that it is not fair to the retailer but I think the retailer should be able to contact MSI and cover their loss as well. It’s neither my nor retailer’s fault. MSI should compansate everyone’s loss in my opinion.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:35 AM, Stahlmann said:

The support is right in that this is how every brand handles this. If they can't replace it immediately, they will offer a refund. But like you said it's most likely not enough to buy the same GPU in todays market. But again, this behavior is not exclusive to MSI. It's everyone right now.

The only things you can do is to keep pressing for a replacement (with your retailer) or to accept your loss and take the refund.

It is a really annoying situation to be in with today’s market and I just am not able to replace my GPU by adding more money to my refund. :(

On 9/9/2021 at 11:36 AM, Spotty said:

They are offering compensation by providing you a full refund for what you paid for it - which is exactly what you are entitled to if the product was defective.

This isn't really an issue with MSI. You'd likely be facing the same issue if it was any other brand.

I hear what you say. I don’t think it makes sense for brands to work this way. For example, when you buy from Apple, you don’t go back to your retailer if you have a defective product. You directly go to Apple and they handle it asap. 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, SorryClaire said:

Because they dont have the product? RMAs relies on product availability to work, if they dont have the product the procedure is to either substitute with the next generation of the same card or straight cash.

Exactly. With the current market, I would have wanted them to give me a substitute card because with the refund money there’s no way I get any card at all which feels unfair to me in my opinion.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, Pixelfie said:

It's fair for them to refund you. I also had a similar thing with Sapphire. Had to RMA it through retailer, been in repair for 2 months and it was out of repair so they gave me a refund. After talking to the retailer they finally replaced it with an MSI version of the same GPU, but it took some work. You can try that too.

Thank you for the advice. I’ll look into it.

On 9/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, TheEpicDuck said:

If your car has a defective parts you don't call the company that made it you take it to the dealer where you bought it.

If your Apple phone has a defective part, you take it to an Apple Store even if you bought it from a different retailer. Also I’m fine with taking it to the retailer but I think MSI should be compensating everyone’s lose including retailer’s. What was weird is that even though we asked for a replacement, retailer straight up tried to refund the money without contacting us. This is really problematic because retailers could just do refunds and keep the cards and sell them, which would make them more money than using them for refunds. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:32 PM, jwwagner25 said:

you are being treated completely fairly. You are lucky to even be offered a full refund if out of regular warranty period. In USA we wouldn't even get a refund. count your blessings. 

It is in the regular warranty period. The shady part was that even though we asked for a replacement, retailer straight up tried to refund the money without contacting us. This is really problematic because retailers could just do refunds and keep the cards and sell them, which would make them more money than using them for refunds. 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:24 PM, Middcore said:

Everybody else would do the same thing. I'm not sure what else you expect them to do. The model of card you had before almost certainly isn't even being produced anymore. Do you want them to refund you more than you initially paid because it takes more money to buy a card now? Refunds aren't based on fluctuating market conditions, otherwise under normal circumstances you would get back less than you originally paid because cards would depreciate over 18 months. I guess it would be nice for them to offer you a brand new 6000-series card but they may or may not even have those in stock and that's really asking them to go above and beyond. 

But if they had the card, I would have a more valuable item on my hand then the refund. Also shouldn’t I be able to buy the same card from another retailer with the refund money I got? In this circumstance, I can’t. I also understand that it is not fair to the retailer but I think the retailer should be able to contact MSI and cover their loss as well. It’s neither my nor retailer’s fault. MSI should compansate everyone’s loss in my opinion. It just sucks to not have the product you initially paid for in your hand anymore because it was manufactured incorrectly. I paid for it, I bought it, now I don’t have it. 

5 minutes ago, kutaytekerek said:

But if they had the card

But in all likelihood they do not.

5 minutes ago, kutaytekerek said:

Also shouldn’t I be able to buy the same card from another retailer with the refund money I got?

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. It's doubtful any other retailer has the card now either, and once again, you are entitled to a refund of the amount you paid, not the card's market value according to fluctuating conditions a year or more later. Otherwise there would be people right now trying to intentionally break their cards and demanding a "market-adjusted refund" to make a profit or get a "free" upgrade.

I also understand that it is not fair to the retailer but I think the retailer should be able to contact MSI and cover their loss as well.

Nobody does business this way.

I paid for it, I bought it, now I don’t have it. 

But you have your money back. That is the most anybody can reasonably be expected to do for you in these circumstances. The fact that amount of money doesn't have as much purchasing power for this one particular thing as it did back then is not within the control of anybody involved in this process. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 hours ago, Middcore said:

But in all likelihood they do not.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. It's doubtful any other retailer has the card now either, and once again, you are entitled to a refund of the amount you paid, not the card's market value according to fluctuating conditions a year or more later. Otherwise there would be people right now trying to intentionally break their cards and demanding a "market-adjusted refund" to make a profit or get a "free" upgrade.

Nobody does business this way.

But you have your money back. That is the most anybody can reasonably be expected to do for you in these circumstances. The fact that amount of money doesn't have as much purchasing power for this one particular thing as it did back then is not within the control of anybody involved in this process. 

And too add to this, you also have one year of use, plus your original purchase price in cash. You are getting more total than you put in. 

You are getting your money back because they[retailer/MSI] have NOTHING to give you in return for a defective card. Apple will do the same thing if they don't have a phone for you if you have a defective phone. 

**Intel 14900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR-6800**Lian Li Galahad II 360mm**Inland M2 SSD 4TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo RGB**ASUS PG42UQ**Logitech G Pro X TKL**Logitech G502X Plus**Windows 11 Pro**

On 9/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, kutaytekerek said:

MSI should compansate everyone’s loss in my opinion.

Sorry, I disagree. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

They should refund him the amount the card costs *now*, not a year ago, or get him a replacement of course.

You buy a house for $700.000, it gets wrecked by a tornado and the insurance wants to pay you only $100.000 because it's what the house was worth when it was built.  would you take the $100.000?

That's not how the real world works. No company in their right mind will ever give away money to a customer. 

**Intel 14900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR-6800**Lian Li Galahad II 360mm**Inland M2 SSD 4TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo RGB**ASUS PG42UQ**Logitech G Pro X TKL**Logitech G502X Plus**Windows 11 Pro**

Real estate is expected to appreciate in value. This is not the case with basically any consumer good.

Counterexample: I buy a new car for $20,000 and ensure it. After a few years, the car is totaled in a wreck. Insurance pays out the value of the car after depreciation, say $10,000. Otherwise people would be intentionally trying to total their cars to get the original purchase price of the car and get a new "free" car every few years.

Again, if refunds were based on market pricing, then normally he would get less money than he initially paid for a year old card, and people would still be bitching they couldn't afford a replacement. It's an extraordinary set of circumstances which has led to a old used cards being worth more in the market than they cost new. And who is to say say exactly how much they should refund him if they are supposed to adjust for the market conditions, anyway? Do you want MSI to go on eBay and take the average of all the cards sold recently or something?

Just now, Middcore said:

Counterexample: I buy a new car for $20,000 and ensure it. After a few years, the car is totaled in a wreck. Insurance pays out the value of the car after depreciation, say $10,000. Otherwise people would be intentionally trying to total their cars to get the original purchase price of the car and get a new "free" car every few years.

Again, if refunds were based on market pricing, then normally he would get less money than he initially paid for a year old card. It's an extraordinary set of circumstances which has led to a old used cards being worth more in the market than they cost new. And who is to say say exactly how much they should refund him if they are supposed to adjust for the market conditions, anyway? Do you want MSI to go on eBay and take the average of all the cards sold recently or something?

You would have been paying insurance premiums on top of what you paid for the house over time. Insurance isn't a good analog. Maybe companies will start offering an insurance program that you can pay for to make sure you have a card, but I bet they would see a lot of fraud too. 

Just now, m9x3mos said:

You would have been paying insurance premiums on top of what you paid for the house over time

Also a good point.