RJ45 to DB9 - COM port not appearing in Device Manager

THEPASHKA

My RJ-45 to DB9 cable have just arrived, and when I've connected it to the serial port on my server system (Pic 1), and to my Cisco switch console port nothing shows up in device manager (Pic 2)
I don't get anything, not any "unrecognized devices" or anything appearing.

image.png

image.png

sounds like you need device drivers for the serial port on your motherboard. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Try using putty and trying all the com ports that are listed. Normally a device doesn't show up when connected, you just get a responce in the console.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

sounds like you need device drivers for the serial port on your motherboard. 

Shit, that thing is running OEM Lenovo motherboard without a any signs to identify what it actually is

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using putty and trying all the com ports that are listed. Normally a device doesn't show up when connected, you just get a responce in the console.

Will try rn

Make sure veiw hidden devices is on too just in case

2 minutes ago, LukeFC said:

Make sure veiw hidden devices is on too just in case

It is

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Tried manually adding COM3 & COM9 (others just remove themselves after I've clicked add)
Still nothing, just getting an error out of Putty "Unable to open connection"

image.png

1 minute ago, THEPASHKA said:

Tried manually adding COM3 & COM9 (others just remove themselves after I've clicked add)
Still nothing, just getting an error out of Putty "Unable to open connection"

image.png

Can you give linux a shot? See if its a hardware issue.

Is that comm port connected correctly? Some of those systems had a cable to connect the com port that might have came out.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you give linux a shot? See if its a hardware issue.

Is that comm port connected correctly? Some of those systems had a cable to connect the com port that might have came out.

I could, I also wanna check if COM port is actually enabled in BIOS, however I can't shutdown the system in near couple of days, since it's in middle of recovering files from failed nas drive and that thing goes really slow

Don't you need a null modem converter to go from ethernet to serial? Its been a while and I honestly don't fully remember.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 hours ago, THEPASHKA said:

My RJ-45 to DB9 cable have just arrived, and when I've connected it to the serial port on my server system (Pic 1), and to my Cisco switch console port nothing shows up in device manager (Pic 2)
I don't get anything, not any "unrecognized devices" or anything appearing.

Nothing will appear, serial is a dumb interface that only does anything when you actually use it.  If it wasn't already there before, its not enabled in the BIOS.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7